• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jobs in the comic book field

24 posts in this topic

I'm very interested in working in the field, but not a very good writer (tried for years) and I can't draw so those options are out. Honestly, I'd be content just working for a comic store, even if it was a situation where I was just paid in cash to do the work (bag, board, organize, catalog, etc.). Most of the comic shops around here are the old school hole in the wall shops and I know there is not a ton of money in running a book store so I haven't really approached anyone about assisting with maintaing their inventory.

Any thoughts on working in the field, even if it's something small or a side job paying a few bucks an hour?

You could always go on the Disney, Time Warner, or Image websites (or the smaller companies) and see if they have jobs available. Not just drawing and writing, but they are legit companies who employ accountants, finance, janitors, secretaries, lawyers, administrative, IT, editors, interns, marketing, HR, mail/delivery, receptionists, publishers, the whole shebang. If you reeeeaaaallly want to be around that environment, there's opportunities.

If you really want to work for a comic book shop but the economy is rough, just go volunteer for like 4-8 hours a week and get paid in comics.

The cost of doing paperwork to pay someone minimum wage for semi-part time work isn't worth it in most cases.

Its generally not a good idea to advertise you are willing to commit a felony( work off the books for cash) on public forums.

Part time jobs in comic shops are usually not that easy to obtain as the owners pretty much can pick and choose from their clients.

Its generally not a good idea to advertise you are willing to commit a felony( work off the books for cash) on public forums.

Part time jobs in comic shops are usually not that easy to obtain as the owners pretty much can pick and choose from their clients.

haha you would never admit to doing it here on the forum, and I look at it more like volunteer work. People get tshirts for doing volunteer work all the time. Although maybe those have to be charity related...

Unless you're a business owner, an exec, or someone with talent, you're not getting paid anything substantial in the industry. :shrug:

haha this could be said about many industries.

Unless you're a business owner, an exec, or someone with talent, you're not getting paid anything substantial in the industry. :shrug:

I don't think that is necessarily true any longer. There are retail store managers in some of the larger chains who are earning a respectable income. They are talented. But I don't think that is the talent you are referring to.

I don't think that is necessarily true any longer. There are retail store managers in some of the larger chains who are earning a respectable income. They are talented. But I don't think that is the talent you are referring to.

What do you consider respectable? hm

The year I managed the shop in P.R. I made what I thought was a very respectable salary. Honestly don't remember how much it was,it was 1990, but I went into the interview with a salary in mind, and the offer exceeded it. Way exceeded it, if you get my drift.

A lot depends on where you live. $800 will rent a nice house in many parts of the country, but can't get you a decent room in NYC. $40,000 will go a long ways towards respectability in most places in the US. Low rent, low school taxes, no state income tax, no city income tax, no sales tax, ect, ect, ect.

I worked in my comic store for books at one point. He was paying me a decent amount and then we started talking one day. He discovered I was really just going to take his paycheck and put it towards comics from his store so we started making other transactions.

I quit because I'm a teacher after the summer ended. I've tried for the last two years to get back on with him on a part time basis under similar circumstances. He never seems interested!

It was a lot of fun and he's been dealing books since the early 70s. Picking his brain was incredible.

Well, good luck to you.

They are talented. But I don't think that is the talent you are referring to.

Are we talking Donald Trump talented or Jessie Jane talented?

They are talented. But I don't think that is the talent you are referring to.

Are we talking Donald Trump talented or Jessie Jane talented?

I choose both (thumbs u

The year I managed the shop in P.R. I made what I thought was a very respectable salary. Honestly don't remember how much it was,it was 1990, but I went into the interview with a salary in mind, and the offer exceeded it. Way exceeded it, if you get my drift.

A lot depends on where you live. $800 will rent a nice house in many parts of the country, but can't get you a decent room in NYC. $40,000 will go a long ways towards respectability in most places in the US. Low rent, low school taxes, no state income tax, no city income tax, no sales tax, ect, ect, ect.

$40k is what I make, I'd much rather be operating a comic store for that wage though :D

I talked to Josh Nathanson at CLINK a few years ago about the sales/auction associate spot he has open. They were just then moving from NYC to Maine and I'd have to relocate. I was trying to get out of Fed Gov't IT and into comics. Maine is looking better and better every single day...the position is still listed on CLINK's website.

I worked for store credit while in law school. A shop by me went under because the owner delegated the week to a manager and just came in on Saturday. He paid the kid $500 a week 5 days and it was clear he did nothing in terms of inventory organization... $50 books were in the 50 cent box, etc. Dozens of boxes of disorganized inventory. Clearly he sat there all day and just worked the register.

Of course, $500 isn't a lot (in nyc in particular), but pretty sure it was cash