• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1st crown jewel of my collection!

27 posts in this topic

Hi All,

So, I have never started a new thread for any of my comic art purchases before, but I feel like this one deserves it.

Because I hate the term “Grail” I am coining the term “Crown Jewels” this is the part of my collection that I just look at and shake my head, smile, and say “I can’t believe I own this!”

For some reason, I can’t remember a lot of when I grew up. I know most of it was ok, some of it bad, a bit of it good. But I do remember 1 day, the day that I went to my LCS on 12/15/90 at the ripe age of 13 in Nanuet, NY, Paperback Exchange with my mom. Art Adams, Walt Simonson, and Louise Simonson were signing comics. To this day, it’s pretty much my fondest memory…

There I got a bunch of comics signed, but my favorites by far were the “New” Fantastic Four 347-349. 3 Issues of that were created out of what kids dream about, Wolverine, Spider-man, Ghost Rider and the Hulk teamed up to find the original FF, fight giant monsters, and save the world.

If you asked me to choose 3 pages from that run, I just got one of them. And I have to say, having it and seeing it just brings me back to being 13, feeling like the coolest kid on the block, and driving home just staring at those comics. Even today, you can read this comic, and tell that Art Adams and Walt Simonson were just having so much fun doing this run, and they were given free rein to do whatever the heck they wanted! And the quality of the art, hands down is some of Art Adams’ best, and that’s saying something.

I also want to give a huge thanks to my friend Keith, who helped me get this deal done, and is a great guy (you can see his awesome FF Score Here) I’ve met a lot of great people doing this hobby the short time I have been doing it, and he’s top notch all the way!

Well, I’ve waxed poetic enough… here’s the art!

Fantastic Four 347 pg 27

For those of you that don't like links, here's the page on image shack =)

ff34727small.jpg

If you've made it this far, thanks for listening to me ramble =)

-Pete

Fantastic Four 347-349. 3 Issues of that were created out of what kids dream about, Wolverine, Spider-man, Ghost Rider and the Hulk teamed up to find the original FF, fight giant monsters, and save the world.

Ain't that the truth. (thumbs u

.....Rambles like those are the reason I come here :cloud9: ......those issues were fantastic.....and I'm an FF lover. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks Everyone for your nice comments! It's appreciated.

Also,

I knew I forgot 1 tidbit, in hopes of not going too long,..

So, the other thing I remember about that day. While I was there, my mom asked me if I wanted to buy some Original Art, to which, I looked either Art or Walt in the eye and said... "If I am going to look at comic art, I want color! Black and White is Stupid!!!"

oh, if i could go back in time... in 1990, what did he have sitting on that table??

I have found a couple of those kind of pages from when I first really getting into comics. A nice page from this book would be in that category for me as well.

Congrats on a great find. I hope it's on your wall and not just tucked away in a portfolio.

Walt Simonson always managed to turn each and every odd combination, commercial request, or messed-up piece of the Marvel universe into a consistent storyline, both action-packed and Marvel-wise. Even J.M. DeMatteis did amazingly good at that.

Today’s a lot more harder, but I’m sure they’d be able to back up their past efforts. Not to mention Walter's wife, Louise… :)

I have found a couple of those kind of pages from when I first really getting into comics. A nice page from this book would be in that category for me as well.

Congrats on a great find. I hope it's on your wall and not just tucked away in a portfolio.

For at least a little while it will have to hide in my portfolio, but within a month or 2 it will be up on my wall next to my Marvel U "new" FF cart art.

http://cafurl.com?i=18679

So, I am bumping this thread, because I am getting to end this great year for me with another page from the series!

The title splash for 348! So cool, and I completely lucked into finding about about this one. The extra special thing for me, is of course, this is the exact page that I got Walt and Art to sign on that great day back in 1990!

http://cafurl.com?i=19179

ff_348_1.jpg

Great stuff. too bad it's in black & white, that is stupid. But otherwise its great.

Not sure if that's sarcastic... It's comic original art... what else would it be but B&W?

Pretty sure that comment was a reference to what your 13 year old self said to Walt and Art.

Great stuff. too bad it's in black & white, that is stupid. But otherwise its great.

Not sure if that's sarcastic... It's comic original art... what else would it be but B&W?

Pretty sure that comment was a reference to what your 13 year old self said to Walt and Art.

Correct. Sorry, probably too far back in the thread to pull off that joke... I was really charmed by your story and I'm sure the pros were too.