• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A .5 is a .5 No it's not!

Which Detective #31 would you buy.  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which Detective #31 would you buy.

80 posts in this topic

If I was seeking this book and all I could afford was a .5, I'd take the no BC copy and be happy to own it. I would pass on the "complete' copy - the extremely ragged quality of the most important part of the book would turn me off. Heck buy them both and take the back cover from the one and put it with the other and then sell the chunks missing copy as .5 again.

:bump::bump::bump::bump:

I started this thread with poll back in 2012 when you could get a Tec 31 in .5 for under $10K. Are those days gone for good?

Interesting to read comments on which one appeals more to collectors.

I think given what is currently going on over at the CC event auction with the Tec 31s, it is completely safe to say that the days of Tec 31 .5s being had for 10K is completely over. :sorry:

Ideally, a married cover combo. Leroy's book alone restored would take it into EP territory.

Gonna change my vote and agree with this proposal. Definitely a restored final product would be what I'd want.

Tougher call for me because the entire "September 1939" is a must for me to have on the cover. I can't do without the issue number or cover price missing off a FC either. Then again, I've owned books with missing BCs and it bugged me.

Hi everyone,

I still own this book and it is one of my favorites. It has definitely not been trimmed in any way. I really appreciate all the nice comments about it and I admit that I am gleefully watching the comic connect auction as I (humbly) think my copy is nicer than the one for sale in that auction. My cover is definitely attached whereas that one is taped on.

Anyway, I hope it is the first million dollar .5 sale!

To a collector.. Why would you pay a lot of money for a incomplete book?

The current book up for auction has recieved a higher bid then the 1.0 tech 31 with white pages back 1-2 auctions ago at heritage..that's just stupid ridiculous

And the same book up for auction was purchased off ebay for 13-14 k.. It was graded a 1.0 by CBCS with a trimmed back cover.. Saying all that.. Hoarders copy +1 for sure..

WTB - if your looking to part with your .5 well presenting unrestored GA classics I might be your man!! back covers and non story affecting pages missing preferred (thumbs u before anyone comments I already know what i collect sucks and what you do rules :sick: in the scenario of the Tec 31 I would take the back cover missing but both are absolutely awesome16695730778_c913109af6_c.jpg

WTB - if your looking to part with your .5 well presenting unrestored GA classics I might be your man!! back covers and non story affecting pages missing preferred (thumbs u before anyone comments I already know what i collect sucks and what you do rules :sick: in the scenario of the Tec 31 I would take the back cover missing but both are absolutely awesome16695730778_c913109af6_c.jpg
brilliant gems Gino and the brightest is the little girl :)

Why would anyone remove it from a 1.0 holder and re-sub for a 0.5, with the bc outside of the slab...?!? (shrug)

+1

Ricky

just curious, how do you know that it is the same book?

Sorry it was a 1.0 with trimmed notes cause of the back cover. Not sure if anyone remembers this one guy selling his Tec 31 on ebay that was in a custom slab.. Was on there for long time and at different times. Someone bought and sent it to cbcs.. Wasn't happy with the grade and sold for 13-14 k ..

Reason I know its the same book cause of the hole above the "C" on the cover. And plus it comes with a trimmed back cover.. Pretty sure it's the same book...

Why would anyone remove it from a 1.0 holder and re-sub for a 0.5, with the bc outside of the slab...?!? (shrug)

+1

Ricky

Sorry it was a 1.0 with trimmed notes cause of the back cover. Not sure if anyone remembers this one guy selling his Tec 31 on ebay that was in a custom slab.. Was on there for long time and at different times. Someone bought and sent it to cbcs.. Wasn't happy with the grade and sold for 13-14 k ..

Reason I know its the same book cause of the hole above the "C" on the cover. And plus it comes with a trimmed back cover.. Pretty sure it's the same book...

I remember seeing it on eBay as well. I agree with you in that it appears to be the same book given your "C" on the cover logic. Still wonder why anyone would crack it out to go from a 1.0 to a .5, but then again maybe they knew that a .5 could fetch 20k plus. :idea:

+1

Ricky

Gaming the system. :cloud9:

-J.

To a collector.. Why would you pay a lot of money for a incomplete book?

The current book up for auction has recieved a higher bid then the 1.0 tech 31 with white pages back 1-2 auctions ago at heritage..that's just stupid ridiculous

And the same book up for auction was purchased off ebay for 13-14 k.. It was graded a 1.0 by CBCS with a trimmed back cover.. Saying all that.. Hoarders copy +1 for sure..

I understand why people want complete books. But don't quite understand why so many collectors fail to understand that not everybody thinks exactly as they do.

Just about everybody would say of course it should be worth more with the back cover. But many people would also say hey if the classic cover is why it's valuable, then I'd sure prefer to have this book than to pay the same or more for some other book which isn't anywhere near as classic just because the other book has the back cover.

Of course some people collect only complete books and I've heard some say they collect only 9.8 or above graded books. But while those guys start their search with the first requirements being "it's complete" or it's 9.8" (and then look for what else it has going to adjust the value up or down) other people start with requirements like "it's classic" or "it's really rare" or "it's a first appearance" etc.

You appear to have a talent for finding nice eye-appeal .5s. (thumbs u