• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Winner of the Weekend - Let Comics General Decide Response:

135 posts in this topic

In the end, I suspect many of them might even know that 1st class is not trackable, and are honestly trying to rip you off.

meh

You ever left your borders?

Or is the criminal anarchy too much to handle?

Sorry, if I offended anyone, but eBay is loaded with people from all over the place looking to rip others off.

Pretty sure a great part of ebay scams are perpetrated within the US.

Which is why I said all over the place. The US is no exception when it comes to scams. The only difference is that US shipping is easily trackable.

In the end, I suspect many of them might even know that 1st class is not trackable, and are honestly trying to rip you off.

meh

Sorry, if I offended anyone, but eBay is loaded with people from all over the place looking to rip others off.

Depends on what you sell.

As soon as the iPhone 5 is announced I will sell my two year old iPhone 4. I expect to get about half the money that an iPhone 5 costs since there is a small scratch on the screen.

The last time I did this, the phone was heavily bid on and won by someone in Nigeria. (No I am not making this up.) Then the sob story scam mail starts that it is for a sister located there that needs it for University and would I accept it from this account with extra money to ship it to the different address.... yadda yadda

Second time I list it, a similar experience and I call paypal where they too believe the account was compromised.

Something like selling an iPhone opens you up to scam artists in many directions.

Normal everyday items seem to be on the menu for domestic scams as they are readily available and would not attract international attention. I am talking about a handbag or a action figure.

International people need to understand that the seller needs some protection. I usually get 1-2 people a week sending me a message about how my shipping is too high and if I can do something cheaper.

In the end, I suspect many of them might even know that 1st class is not trackable, and are honestly trying to rip you off. I say this because when I was first selling, a buyer in Germany did exactly that. He asked me if I can ship something 1st class, I did and he opened a claim around the time I suspect he got the item. He automatically won the claim. I didn't know better at the time.

I just had a guy ask tell me that I need to ship a Sideshow Galactus bust (which is 25 lbs) for free internationally. I've started to just ignore them.

+1

I feel you, brother!

I'm an eBayer who sells and ships comic books from Bangkok, Thailand.

I insist on Thailand Post Registered Airmail. This service provides tracking and signature upon delivery.

I provide combined shipping.

1 comic book = $10.00

2 comic books = $12.50

3 to 4 comic books = $15.00

5 to 6 comic books = $20.00

7 to 8 comic books = $25.00

9 comic books = $30.00

If more than 9, MESSAGE ME! :cool:

Thailand Post Registered Airmail gets delivered between 7 to 10 business days ANYWHERE in the world!

I will not be cheap with my shipping. Many eBayers complain thinking the cost is too high. I won't lower the actual shipping costs or change services just to appease them. The majority of buyers understand and appreciate the safe and secure delivery of Registered Mail.

We eBay International Sellers need to cover our collective asses against the scum who may want to take advantage of us.

130.00 to ship a comic book? Just Douchebaggery. :facepalm:

Did you happen to read what I wrote?

The listing is set to UPS Worldwide Express for a 2-3 lb package.

How he even gets $130 is beyond me in his shipping zone.

He also lists that it is priority shipping, when I have it set to express.

Someone from Australia should PM you a screen shot of your auction from ebay.com.au.

With all the freight features in e-bay your customers aren't likely seeing the best rate for freight. UPS & USPS both offer express service; the USPS express comes in at $47 to $75 to Australia, other options are likely cheaper but may not give you the accountability you want.

I have no idea what UPS comes in at but I'd guess it's around $130 & that's what the guy is seeing.

(shrug)

I actually thought the message to you was not that bad, I chuckled.

meh

Thank you. That was my point...there's just as much criminal intent within the US as there is outside. :foryou:

meh

Quoted for truth :baiting:

meh

Depends on what you sell.

As soon as the iPhone 5 is announced I will sell my two year old iPhone 4. I expect to get about half the money that an iPhone 5 costs since there is a small scratch on the screen.

The last time I did this, the phone was heavily bid on and won by someone in Nigeria. (No I am not making this up.) Then the sob story scam mail starts that it is for a sister located there that needs it for University and would I accept it from this account with extra money to ship it to the different address.... yadda yadda

Second time I list it, a similar experience and I call paypal where they too believe the account was compromised.

Something like selling an iPhone opens you up to scam artists in many directions.

Normal everyday items seem to be on the menu for domestic scams as they are readily available and would not attract international attention. I am talking about a handbag or a action figure.

Electronics are like magnets for scammers. They come from out of the woodwork, and the absolute worst areas are those were PayPal doesn't cover merchant services, and where you start getting messages asking if you could process a credit card payment through a store or business.

One guy asked me to take the credit card number to a nearby store and ask them to run an additional $500 on top of the BIN amount I was asking on eBay. :/

meh

Thank you. That was my point...there's just as much criminal intent within the US as there is outside. :foryou:

It's a fact that 87.5% of all US crimes originates in the UK :gossip:

Anything outside of USPS is pricey, so don't doubt the charge. But what are you expecting to get service-wise from UPS that you can't get from USPS...door to door validation? Just trying to educate myself.

BTW, for this price for shipping you have to expect some interesting comments. Take it in stride.

Anything outside of USPS is pricey, so don't doubt the charge. But what are you expecting to get service-wise from UPS that you can't get from USPS...door to door validation? Just trying to educate myself.

BTW, for this price for shipping you have to expect some interesting comments. Take it in stride.

Oh I understand that, I just don't want to misrepresent myself by letting people think that there was a $100 tack on charge.

However I just wanted a snarky retort.

I do not like selling internationally but the option is there so long as the buyer understands that parcel post, first class, and those type of methods are not an option. Some countries like Canada have the option of Priority. Other countries like Australia only have the option of Express.

Why wouldn't you offer Priority mail to Australia?

What's the item or link? Would like to see what pops up here when I look at the item

I'm curious also about this. Is there a link available to the item in question? hm

Okay, that's the 4th request for a link to the auction with no response. hm

Oh I understand that, I just don't want to misrepresent myself by letting people think that there was a $100 tack on charge.

However I just wanted a snarky retort.

Take the high road. Must be a board member, being meth/crack is being used. :insane:

So why NOT USPS? :whistle:

What's the item or link? Would like to see what pops up here when I look at the item

+ me.

:juggle:

I use something very close to my real full name as my eBay ID. As the things I sell are usually in the $5-200, it does not matter to me to do that. In retrospect I should have anticipated this request. Due to the things I own, I am not comfortable with divulging that in the open. Yes, there are those on here that know my real name due to a few transactions, but I make those transactions under a gentleman's agreement where it need not be stated that neither party would ever publicly list that information.

So, no, there will be no link.