• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Detectives (pre-Batman)

33 posts in this topic

Are the early issues of Detective Comics overlooked, or undervalued because their pre - superhero? I understand why early Actions are collected, and the collecting seems to be more appearent from #27 and up for the Detectives (Batman) - But is there a real market for early Detectives and how scarce or rare are they really?? especially issues #1 - #5 The census tells us some are very difficult to find. In fact in the OSPG issues #1 - #3 don't even list prices for 9.0 or higher. BTW congrats to the board member who acquired the Detective #1 recently.

Census information for Detective Comics issues #1 - #5

Detective #1 - 27 total graded copies, 11 universal and the highest is a restored 8.5

Detective #2 - 13 total graded copies, 8 universal and the highest is a 8.0

Detective #3 - 8 total graded copies, 4 universal and the highest is a restored 6.5

Detective #4 - 8 total graded copies, 5 universal and the highest is a restored 9.0

Detective #5 - 6 total graded copies, 5 universal and the highest is a 8.5

Early Detectives had great characters like Sam Bradley, the Spy, Speedy Saunders, the Crimson Avenger and Fu Manchu. The covers are just as iconic as any other comic from the time period. I don't know maybe its just me!!

Edited by cgriffith

Pre Bat Tecs are tough but not impossible. They can be tracked down through networking and private sales and public auctions. They are in demand but there is a very small window of collectors that are after them. Rarehighgrade on these boards has a ton of knowledge. I've only owned the 8 and 18 which are my fav in the 1-26 run. I'd say the 3,5, and 13 are maybe the more difficult issues...

Pre Bat Tecs are tough but not impossible. They can be tracked down through networking and private sales and public auctions. They are in demand but there is a very small window of collectors that are after them. Rarehighgrade on these boards has a ton of knowledge. I've only owned the 8 and 18 which are my fav in the 1-26 run. I'd say the 3,5, and 13 are maybe the more difficult issues...

Detective #13 is an absolutely stunning cover, I also find the first appearance (#20)of the Crimson Avenger to be another beautiful book. They just seem very difficult to find and underappreciated.

I used to own the lost valley tec 3 and it is/was a cgc 5.5 so I believe your 4.5 highest is incorrect (thumbs u

You sir are correct the 5.5 is the highest universal copy, although I just re-checked and there also is a resto 6.5 - thanks

(thumbs u

Thanks for the congrats on the Tec 1. :)

I'm now strongly considering a modest run of early Tecs. The market for them is small, I gather.

I saw the other thread and your comic made me think of this topic, btw it's a beautiful copy

:golfclap:

The early Tecs are scarce, special books. They have a small fervent following, and are not cheap. Not the best place to park 20 to 50K in my opinion. But if you rule out the $$$ aspects, they must be a lot of fun to track down and assemble. And have done pretty well value wise. But not in the same league as superhero keys for instance.

A great run of books that are underappreciated due to the lack of super-heroes.

The run can be put together with a lot of luck in onrestored condition -it took me 3 years to do it.

I'm sorely tempted to do it again but there has in the last 6 months been an increase in the market prices for the books.

If you decide to go for it you will defintly put together a great run of books.

The early Tecs are scarce, special books. They have a small fervent following, and are not cheap. Not the best place to park 20 to 50K in my opinion. But if you rule out the $$$ aspects, they must be a lot of fun to track down and assemble. And have done pretty well value wise. But not in the same league as superhero keys for instance.

20k sounds conservative, if we're talking about a run of books. The Tec 1 (unrestored and slabbed 2.5) cost me 14k all by itself, and by all accounts that was a reasonable deal.

Here are my two pre-Batman Tecs, and I wouldn't mind adding a third. They are really cool books to own. Beautiful covers, and a great lineup of 1930s DC talent inside.

tec11.jpg

tec21.jpg

The Detective #11 is absolutely stunning even in it's current condition :applause:

20k sounds conservative, if we're talking about a run of books. The Tec 1 (unrestored and slabbed 2.5) cost me 14k all by itself, and by all accounts that was a reasonable deal.

I think you got a great deal. Right now Metropolis has two Detective #1's a unrestored 5.0 for $39,000 and a restored 5.5 for $14,500, I wonder what a copy in like 7.5 would fetch

I think you got a great deal. Right now Metropolis has two Detective #1's a unrestored 5.0 for $39,000 and a restored 5.5 for $14,500, I wonder what a copy in like 7.5 would fetch

Good question---no idea! That 5.0 is pretty but I'm turned off by the tape.

They are tough to get (especially in complete, unrestored condition). Expect to

spend a lot of time finding them and a lot of money to get them. After 25 years,

and with a modest budget, I am still missing 6. Most of the rest are incomplete

or very low grade. Only 6 are not on my "want a good copy" list which is

defined as "complete, unrestored, not slabbed, and better than good) which

is a bottom feeder collector level.

Currently, to get such a set you better plan on 30 - 50 K and a lot of luck.

(Let me get them instead.)

The Detective #11 is absolutely stunning even in it's current condition :applause:

Actually, the Tec #11 has a replacement back cover. :blush: I appreciate the thought though!

I love the Flessel illo on the front, beautiful rendering and inking.

yeah. 20K is prob too low for all of them including a #1. I was figuring that most people would go for just getting A copy, a beater, around a grand apiece just to get going cause they are hard to locate.