• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do you read comics or just collect them?

Read or Collect  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Read or Collect

69 posts in this topic

I like to read them. Sometimes i get into a phase where I decide I like go go checks or 100 pagers or no code books or ECs etc..but I still pretty much read them all. I usually take my toys and stuff out of the boxes too. Unless they are for resale. I do have slabbed books, mostly gifts. But I am more into the story/interior art etc than just looking at it or it being an investment.

If I specifically buy a book at auction or something for resale or a collection I am not really personally interested in I don't usually read them. I just flip through the pages to check condition/page count etc for prospective buyers.

I used to have a regular store customer who bought them to have them put in frames and line his walls. He never read a single one. every hallway in his house,his home office,and his professional office was covered in comic books. If he was buying a run he expected me to put frames on hold for him to and have them prepared(framed etc) when he picked up his books. I even charged him a handling fee for doing the framing. For what he considered "special books" he would want an engraved plate to go underneath the book on the frame.

It takes all kinds..that guy would have been perfect for collecting CGC books.

Read. Why else? Sheesh!

Not going to quote all the pics (cos I know that can get tedious) but Rodan has made a pretty good stab at why I collect comics.

Great stuff.

It really saddens me that some are only collecting "for the covers" :sorry:

I have collected some that have look alike covers..like Super heroes that are shrinked and in a bottle on the cover,or different heroes doing the same poses on different books ..but honestly..I read those too.

I pick them up for the cover but cannot resist seeing why they chose to use the image on the cover they did..

I can't really understand the logic behind buying comics and not reading them.

Not that people are wrong for doing so, but to me it's like buying the top of the line

roadster sports car and just keeping it in your garage - just to look at it, but never drive it.

To me - over 90% of the enjoyment of a comic occurs on the inside of a book.

I read and collect. If I didn't read them, I wouldn't know what to collect. I can't quite get the idea of collecting what someone else values rather than what I value.

You don't have to read comics to form your own opinion of what you like. :shrug:

I can't really understand the logic behind buying comics and not reading them.

Not that people are wrong for doing so, but to me it's like buying the top of the line

roadster sports car and just keeping it in your garage - just to look at it, but never drive it.

To me - over 90% of the enjoyment of a comic occurs on the inside of a book.

I don't know if this is true for most folks who don't read them, but I find almost all comics stupid. They're just not well written. I love them as objects, as pieces of art, as parts of my past. But not as reading material.

I do like to read some comics, but only a very few. I like Gardner Fox & John Broome stories, and Alan Moore of course. I can stomach some of the mid-80s and earlier Frank Miller, not much of his work after that. I like Carey Bates, but probably only for nostalgic reasons.

Of all the modern writers that are heavily favored by collectors, I've never found any who I thought were very interesting. Kurt Busiek might be my favorite though. I also really liked Bone as reading material. But it doesn't mean anything to me nostalgically so I've never felt the need to collect the individual issues.

I could not imagine collecting comics and not reading them. I would have thought everyone that collects comics started out by reading them but I guess that is not the case.

If I did not read comics I would have NO desire to collect them. I love all ages of comics......well I really have not read many Golden age comics. When I read comics especially older ones (1960's) I always put into perspective the time they were written and sold. Yes some of those 60's and even later years are silly but they are still lots of fun for me.

Makes me feel young again!

I could not imagine collecting comics and not reading them. I would have thought everyone that collects comics started out by reading them but I guess that is not the case.

If I did not read comics I would have NO desire to collect them. I love all ages of comics......well I really have not read many Golden age comics. When I read comics especially older ones (1960's) I always put into perspective the time they were written and sold. Yes some of those 60's and even later years are silly but they are still lots of fun for me.

Makes me feel young again!

O, I definitely read them when I was a kid. As you say, I think I'd have no interest today if I hadn't. Today, I can stomach SA comics (especially DC) much more easily than moderns.

It's a fair mix for me, most of the stuff I read and am getting in digital format now and selling off my physical reader copies. I do collect a fair amount of key issues that I don't read, as well.

Read and collect.  I don't visit an LCS or buy new comics at the moment - I already have enough material to catch up on in the boxes at home, anyway.  I also read public domain GA and Pre-Code books on my iPad.

i'm honestly a little bit suprised that the ratio is so high in favor of people that both read/collect comics. i don't know why, i was expecting more non-reading collectors for some reason.

don't let the fact that this is the CGC Boards fool you...

The boards are full of comic geeks and to be a real geek

you must either still read them or have enough knowledge

about them to make people think you still read them.

(thumbs u