• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15 - guess grade before CGC

192 posts in this topic

Plus, they vary by price range? I mean, it‘s a combination on how the book is valued and on how much quickly you expect it to be graded?
preceisely, each of these combinations of value and turn around times is called a tier.

So im ready to ship this AF15 back to the seller for a full refund (plus CGC charges). My main worry is that the seller (who has already shown a propensity for scamming) will claim that he received an empty box or the item was damaged (even though the odds of either happening are miniscule). Or that the seller will simply refuse to pick up the delivery thinking that will negate the refund (since he technically never will receive it back in this scenario).

has anybody ever heard of this happening? I brought up my concerns to ebay, they didnt seem to be worried.

So im ready to ship this AF15 back to the seller for a full refund (plus CGC charges). My main worry is that the seller (who has already shown a propensity for scamming) will claim that he received an empty box or the item was damaged (even though the odds of either happening are miniscule). Or that the seller will simply refuse to pick up the delivery thinking that will negate the refund (since he technically never will receive it back in this scenario).

has anybody ever heard of this happening? I brought up my concerns to ebay, they didnt seem to be worried.

I hope you shipped it properly. Sig confirmation and all that fun stuff.

i will. im going to fedex it, and videotape the fedex employee sealing the box so it cant be claimed i sent it empty.

Best idea in the world. But you need to go a little further. I'm sure it's going to be packed in a way that the FC won't be visible. So if you video tape a packed cluster of cardboard or bubble wrap being sealed in a box by a Fedex employee, this character can still claim you scammed him by send nothing but cardboard or bubble wrap (or drek packed in it).

If you're going to video tape, you need to make one long uninterrupted recording of you wrapping it in whatever packing you use, placing it in the box, then being handed over to the Fedex employee until it is sealed. If possible, do all this at the shipping location (just so you have to record the trip to the Fedex office). But it MUST be uninterrupted with the book/box in view at ALL TIMES.

It might seem like a pain, it might be anal, but you have to admit it's nothing compared to what could happen if they try to scam you.

Or is this what you were planning?

K, just throwing a number out there: 4.5! I like the book. I really hope it doesn't come back trimmed or restored in any way. For that book, though, just having it is exciting. I have my rough looking 2.0 and feel like a proud poppa! lol
:facepalm: it's a 5.0 right edge trimmed.

I think they are right: please do not get overtly paranoid. The seller will eventually realize that he hasn’t been honest to take the entire matter so lightly, given the value of the book. If he’s not willing to pay the CGC fee, never mind. I know this sucks but I also think it’s at least a good thing to see him recognize he did wrong.

All the best! ;)

Im not sure if the seller is owning up to anything at all. he hasnt contacted me at all since i refused his 10% partial refund. in any case, i sent it back and ebay said they would refund the cgc fees. kind of sucks - the seller found a loophole to get $300 worth of grading for free.

he told me he had to sell it for some quick cash, so i think hes just trying a one time burn bridges and disappear scam. i wouldnt be surprised if hes cancelled his bank account and ebay and paypal accounts already.

i still have a feeling hes going to claim nothing arrived in the box. but i filmed the whole packing and giving it to usps - so i should be safe.

also - fedex doesnt allow you to film such things in there store (or offer insurance over $250 - and when i told them it was a comic they said they wouldnt insure it.

Im not sure if the seller is owning up to anything at all. he hasnt contacted me at all since i refused his 10% partial refund. in any case, i sent it back and ebay said they would refund the cgc fees. kind of sucks - the seller found a loophole to get $300 worth of grading for free.

he told me he had to sell it for some quick cash, so i think hes just trying a one time burn bridges and disappear scam. i wouldnt be surprised if hes cancelled his bank account and ebay and paypal accounts already.

i still have a feeling hes going to claim nothing arrived in the box. but i filmed the whole packing and giving it to usps - so i should be safe.

also - fedex doesnt allow you to film such things in there store (or offer insurance over $250 - and when i told them it was a comic they said they wouldnt insure it.

Wow, I thought to myself, "FedEx doesn't do insurance or insure comic books? No way." Then I looked it up and Holy *Spoon*!

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/express-ground/index.html

Take a look at section F:

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

I guess I won't be using FedEx for shipping almost anything ever again. :sumo:

Wow, I thought to myself, "FedEx doesn't do insurance or insure comic books? No way." Then I looked it up and Holy *Spoon*!

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

The section is just as you say, but that is puzzling. This summer I received a $1K+ book from the UK shipped FedEx, properly declared and fully insured. (shrug)

The section is just as you say, but that is puzzling. This summer I received a $1K+ book from the UK shipped FedEx, properly declared and fully insured. (shrug)

What it means is that they will take your money to protect it for the shipments declared value but once they discover it is a collectable they do not have to pay anything beyond $1,000.

Registered mail is the only worthwhile service offered by the USPS.

It's the ONLY way that I'd ship a slab of extreme worth.

They insure items of high-value. Each individual step in the delivery process is thoroughly documented. The local postal worker told me that registered mail was kept seperate from all other mail and was sorted and transported in its own "special" mailbag. It seems like the safest, most secure way to mail anything.

Downside is the high expense and the extra time it takes to get where it's going.