• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15 - guess grade before CGC

192 posts in this topic

if not other restoration was done to this book, its a shame they trimmed it to get rid of the chipping. would probably have made a 3.5 blue without it.

although im no grading expert and i am not sure how much is discounted for marvel chipping, but the rest of the book looked pretty solid.

I'm surprised the book got a 5.0 ( as apparently most everyone is), but looking at the scan I can see why trimming was suspect from the start.

While I fully understand the dislike of trimmed books, even above other "restoration", as it always seems like the trimmer was trying to hide something and has further damaged the book in the process, it's also interesting that with GA and even early SA books, that the bindry process sometimes resulted in books more severely trimmed at the time of manufacture than others trimmed after the fact.

Is most trimming on sa and ga books from pre cgc era when resto was harder to detect, had kess of a stigma, and was not really looked for?

I'm guessing as much, especially as there were decades of collecting where restoration was done prior to CGC. On the other hand, ever widening gaps in prices in relation to condition, probably made trimming a more attractive option in the 90s and later than in earlier decades, especially micro-trimming, which as we've seen, was not always caught by CGC.

I'm guessing with the preference for slabbed when talking big dollar books, and increasing awareness of trimming, that it happens less often than it used to on keys and the like. I'm not sure ebay scammers are trimming as much as they used to, when it's clear that pushing the grade is as probably as profitable.

here is the book slabbed with purple label - anyone care to guess what this might be worth? i have no idea how to price restored books, especially those with only trimming.

shame, the trimming doesnt really seem to help the overall grade of the book. what a waste of a potentially nice raw.

af15002.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not only trimmed, which so many collectors hate, but it also looks overgraded.

When you look back at all the grading estimates on this thread, most people were thinking 3.5 - 4.0.

Send it back to the seller.

I think the most this comic will realize in price is $3500 - $4500.

What a shame..... it was probably a 3.5 - 4.0 before the trim.

I'd send it back also, you would be fortunate to sell it for what you paid.

I had a 6.0 trimmed copy, two years ago the prices seemed to be similar to now, $3-5K depending on grade, trimmed, and how far back it sold. It tried to sell it here a couple of times, and then had it signed and put it on CLink. I got about $4500 for it that way, which I thought was good at the time.

Prices for blue labeled copies have gone way up, but the PLODs not so much. I think it's simply due to the much smaller pool of buyers who will buy one. As the grades and prices get higher, there is a bigger difference in price between the blue and purple labeled copies.

Sorry abt your bad luck man...I didn't want to come right out and say it but it just didn't look right w/all the chipping and creasing.

Get your refund and don't do business w/that seller again. And if "Chuck at Mile High Comics inspected the comic," then shame on him. There's no reason he should have missed that...esp. if he had the book in hand! :sumo:

I'd have it at a 4.5, so I don't know if it's terribly overgraded. The problem with trimmed books is they have a stigma attached and they usually sit, even for a fairly priced book (like the 'tec 31 that sat on c-link for what seemed like forever, though that had I think all 3 edges trimmed).

If he's offering you a refund, I'd take it, even if you have to eat the grading cost. Only time I'd consider holding it is if you have paid significantly under guide (though with you buying what you believed to be an unrestored book, I doubt that's the case).

Wishful thinking is a powerful thing, I overlooked a myriad of ridiculous warning signs on a ToS39 when I got back into comics, and the reality was even worse. I got my money back, eventually. I suspect I'm far from the only one on this board that learned this lesson the hard way.

im actually ok with keeping it, if i can have it for roughly 1/2 the price. i thought i was getting a 4.0 at 3.0 price - so you can do the math in your head.

if there wasnt the universal stigma attached to PLoD books, i wouldnt mind so much, as i dont have as big a problem with restored books in general - but that purple label really bugs me, so i was thinking of cracking it and just putting it in a mylar.

on the other hand, i dont think itd ever get a 5.0 again so theres that.

we will see - seller is giving me a bit of a hassle trying to give different meaning to what he stated in his auction details...plus its been past 14 days - but i dont care, if you both know its going to cgc that time frame doesnt apply. and i sent this one in asap and have super express walk through service.

live and learn. im confident this will work mostly my way...mostly. if not, chalk it up to Noob error.

If you do want to return it, be sure you have copies of all communications, and watch the Paypal 45 day limit. Keep on the seller about following through. If he said he'd take it back, use that message to file a Paypal claim to get him to follow through. Paypal tries to enforce agreements, and they know about comics/restoration/CGC/trimming.