• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15 - guess grade before CGC

192 posts in this topic

I used to not care about restored comics and PLoD, until I started on the boards and realized how big a hit they take on value. just a natural progression of becoming a serious collector I suppose.

I think we are reasoning with different conceptions of "value". If value has to be determined merely on what most people "feel" about something, I think there is little value.

What I meant is that, as long as a book has very minor touch-ups, very small repairs, etc. it can be debatable on why it should considered "restored" even when the intervention does little to nothing to possibly damage the book.

Of course, things like tape or reglossing are an entirely different matter.

Michael Fett speaks about proper "grand scale restoration", this is not what I am talking about. I was talking of very minor interventions, amateur or not, which possibly the previous owners have performed.

I see no harm in "serious" collecting if I am not bothered by a small touch of color: I think this shouldn’t be treated as a heavy restoration intervention on a ruined book.

And if the assessed value is lower, it’s lower before, and after. I mean, you pay less because most people are troubled by such details, but this does not alter the value. If you decide to sell the book, you know it is less valued because most collectors don’t like even minor conservation or touch up interventions. But this does not set an "absolute" scale of value.

I think the "purple label" has become a sort of scarecrow, while it is generally intended to state there has been some kind of intervention on the book.

What I question is the way light interventions which doesn’t cause damage are treated the same way as a heavy professional restoration work, while – for example – tape (which damages the book) is allowed if moderate, and granted a blue label.

Again, sorry if this is too OT, I just wish to understand better the various positions of american collectors, since here in Italy, while heavy restoration (almost always amateur) is stygmatized, a minor amount of repair or the like (especially on wartime books and earlier), is no big deal. :)

maybe there should be different shades of purple - fuchsia for slight, purple for moderate, and magenta for extensive.

i think im going to crack and free my PLoD comics - i mainly sent those in to CGC to see if they were restored, now that I know - might as well put them back in their native habitat.

Update:

ebay has found in my favor and is ordering a full refund.

although they told me to keep it in the CGC slab, because "removing it may damage the comic"

I told them, if hes not paying me the $300 for the CGC costs, Id rather remove it, otherwise hes getting the grading service free at my expense.

Update:

although they told me to keep it in the CGC slab, because "removing it may damage the comic"

I told them, if hes not paying me the $300 for the CGC costs, Id rather remove it, otherwise hes getting the grading service free at my expense.

Success! :headbang: Congrats

Update:

Congrats dude. You are getting comped shipping to and from him as well correct? I think ebay usually does that.

Spend 25.00 and file a fraud charge on him with your local court house.

Go to your primary postal branch and file a mail fraud claim with them as well.

25.00 + Gas and about 2 hours of your time.

Just my 2 cents.

Send him copies via ebay email of the paper wok.

While the local charges would sit until he goes in for a new DL or gets pulled over, the mail fraud charges....the post office will investigate. If they find your allegations hold any truth, they will have him arrested by the police where he lives and they will prosecute on your behalf.

Should be enough to scare the stink off of any dishonest dealer. If not, let the dice roll. Odds are he will be out a fair chunk trying to get out of the charge.

Good luck with your issue. I am sorry that you were placed in it by a deceptive seller.

Update:

Yeah but if you remove it he may advertise the same book again under the same terms as before.

Spend 25.00 and file a fraud charge on him with your local court house.

Go to your primary postal branch and file a mail fraud claim with them as well.

25.00 + Gas and about 2 hours of your time.

Just my 2 cents.

Send him copies via ebay email of the paper wok.

While the local charges would sit until he goes in for a new DL or gets pulled over, the mail fraud charges....the post office will investigate. If they find your allegations hold any truth, they will have him arrested by the police where he lives and they will prosecute on your behalf.

Should be enough to scare the stink off of any dishonest dealer. If not, let the dice roll. Odds are he will be out a fair chunk trying to get out of the charge.

Good luck with your issue. I am sorry that you were placed in it by a deceptive seller.

It wouldn't be worth his time. The fact is all the seller has to say is when he bought the book he thought it was unrestored. If the seller's comments about Chuck from Mile High are correct then the seller has an expert that assured the book was not restored in anyway. The police/post office don't have time to waste on small fries like this.

Update:

Yeah but if you remove it he may advertise the same book again under the same terms as before.

the U9 in the G of AMAZING marks it for life.

The price for grading goes up with which tier the book is in, moderns are like 25 bucks, super high value books like this are way more expensive. It's to provide insurance while the book is in CGC's possession.

Happy to hear that this was somewhat resolved... I'm not sure what steps eBay/Paypal uses to actually recoup the money. They can order a refund but hopefully the seller owns up to that and doesn't just 'skip town'.

I'm hoping for the best... :wishluck:

I certainly don't mind PLODS in most cases but TRIMMED books carry a stigma all to their own!