• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

The reason I made that statement is this:

To many collectors here on this site, their comics books are their grails. They treasure each issue with the hopes of gaining some value in the near future. Some even wish to pass on this legacy to their children, I know I intend to do the same with my son. By you coming here and pointing out statistics and articles as to why comic books are nothing than a "hobby", or an impulse (Not your words, mine), is an insult to those collectors who hold value to their hobby.

Second, when someone asks a direct question, "Not disputing this but could you tell me what you think the top ten collected items are? " Answer it directly. By going off on rant as to which genre collects more comics than the other, you're making you self look less educated, and more evasive by avoiding the question.

And back to my fist paragraph, the more you down the comic book industry or those who collect graded books, the more you look like an on-line bully, not a good one though.

I have answered all questions fully and accurately. I would highly advise you to take your emotions out of both your 'flawed' analysis of the comic collecting market and your response.

If you are going to be critical of every person who states that the comic book market is experiencing a speculative 'bubble' I would imagine you are going to get upset every time you come on any forum; especially this one. I must ask what you thought of the post 'Where do you think the vintage comic book market will be in 40 years?' This was NOT started by me, but if you read the responses and thoughtful analysis posted by some of this forum's own 'experts' in their chosen fields, I think you will learn all is not 'rosey' in comic book land right now. Yes, certain issues are experiencing extreme highs, but the bronze age market has dropped significantly and if you think that the silver age market can sustain its current highs for decades; let alone years, I think you need to reanalyze the market.

As I have said before, there is NOTHING wrong with collecting for fun and analyzing market trends. Speculation in itself, if kept in check; is not always negative either. That being said, your posts leads me to believe that you actually have tied up serious amounts of cash in the hobby and truly believe that there is an inherent investment element to what you bought. While I do not have a crystal ball, I can quote various experts that I personally know and have dealt with in both in the antique, collectible, and auction community. I would advise you to proceed with caution and possibly branch out into other collectibles. Diversify maybe?

That being said, UNLIKE YOU I WOULD NEVER TELL A MAN TO STOP COLLECTING COMIC BOOKS. That is just narrow minded and rude; especially for someone worried about the 'growth and future of the market in general.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I told you because of your negative speculator remarks.

And by the way, don't assume cause you know the answer.

The ONLY thing I have tied into this hobby is my free time, and willingness to continue to collect comics.

Nothing against CGC mind you... but EVENTUALLY they will have competition in the marketplace of 3rd party grading.

Coke has its Pepsi... Taco Bell has its Taco Johns... Long John Silvers has its Captain Ds.... just a matter of time and financial backing and someone will step up to the plate.

Remember... I said EVENTUALLY. :)

With any luck things like "FMV" price increases on slab rates (or the jab as I call it) and charging for graders notes will become a thing of the past.

At this point, I seriously doubt it. At least not legitimate competition. Pretenders and wannabes, like PGX may pop up but CGC is now entrenched. I can't imagine another company wanting to climb the mountine they'd need to climb to topple CGC.

Having said that, we certainly need a legitimate competitor. I just don't think we're ever going to get it.

The reason I made that statement is this:

To many collectors here on this site, their comics books are their grails. They treasure each issue with the hopes of gaining some value in the near future. Some even wish to pass on this legacy to their children, I know I intend to do the same with my son. By you coming here and pointing out statistics and articles as to why comic books are nothing than a "hobby", or an impulse (Not your words, mine), is an insult to those collectors who hold value to their hobby.

Second, when someone asks a direct question, "Not disputing this but could you tell me what you think the top ten collected items are? " Answer it directly. By going off on rant as to which genre collects more comics than the other, you're making you self look less educated, and more evasive by avoiding the question.

And back to my fist paragraph, the more you down the comic book industry or those who collect graded books, the more you look like an on-line bully, not a good one though.

Mint you do come off as ragging on comics a lot to me also, but I enjoy reading your posts since comics are the most minor of my hobbies.

I do kind of agree on just list a top 10 list for the sake of finishing off what you stated.

etc.....

Could you list the top 10 in this manner because I am curious to see what you think are the top 10.

OK..I brought my pizza to the computer, I have a movie on, my Giant cup is full of ice and and diet pepsi.....I am ready to be entertained...

.chicken wings and pop-corn will do after the pizza... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Top ten! Top ten! Top ten! Top ten!

C'mon everybody, start chanting til we get an newer!,

Take from a quote:

"The problems will really start when money no longer exchanges hands. As long as a market exists and people are willing to get their fix: collectors, dealers, flippers, pressers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, -kickers and Methodists will spend money to buy the best possible books, or the books with the greatest potential.

-Joeypost

"

thanks Hector!

Take from a quote:

"The problems will really start when money no longer exchanges hands. As long as a market exists and people are willing to get their fix: collectors, dealers, flippers, pressers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, -kickers and Methodists will spend money to buy the best possible books, or the books with the greatest potential.

-Joeypost

"

thanks Hector!

That took some time to write...there is just no way I was going to let that quote dissappear into the nothingness of random chatter..wait..... mmmm..I was going somehwere with that....

I am going to answer this question from another perspective. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected. I have shown documentation on this and mentioned this in multiple threads so I will not visit topic this again. This is not the topic I am attempting to discuss in this regard.

That being said, one of the main reason CGC has not seen any 'aggresssive' competition (I do not consider PGX to be on the same playing field as CGC due to a lack of consumer confidence); is because it would take a consider amount of capital to get into this limited market (note: it took CGC well over ten years to encapsulate two million books and this included resubs). It is like an oligopoly. Oligopoly being the key word. One must look at the total number of collectors versus the size of the overall market. I am asking in general; can the market support two major third party grading companies without causing mass confusion? Keep in mind the comic book hobby cannot even come together on a working definition of something as simple as 'pressing.'

The barrier to entry and the cost to gain collector's confidence in the marketplace is very high. This is why a company already established in third party grading (i.e. The Collector's Society) chose to enter; and at the time, enter alone.

That being said, I am NOT naive enough to think it can't or won't happen. All I am saying (and I have said this before) sometimes 'tunnel vision' prevents us from looking at the 'big picture.'

However, ONE could also ask why the Collector's Society has not branched off into other collecting realms that are not already being graded and encapsultaed? Unfortunately, by answering the initial question asked; I also answered that question as well (size of market, cost of entering, analysis of pursuing the chosen enterprise, etc.).

In conclusion, please understand that I am unbiased collector and dealer who has my 'hands' in most aspects of the ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES trade. Therefore, my opinion is based on an analysis of the market from a much broader angle. I am sure many will disagree as a result.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I agree...barriers to entry and a limited market share gain is preventing competition. Also, CGC has had a decade to be the "standard"...and as you say we can't even agree on some of the basics.

Wall Street Journal did an article that explained why collecting comics is the only collectible that has sustained some sort of value throughout the years.

Look at sport cards...they fell out of the face of the earth in the late 90s.

Find me a collectible that was released six years ago that still gaining monitory value.

There have been a few.

Magic the Gathering.

200px-Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg

Hotwheels diecast cars

Hot-Wheels-logo.jpg

and the king Lego.

red-lego-logo_4400577529_a5154b581c.jpg

People STILL COLLECT MAGIC??????????????????????????????????????????

Other then Star Wars Lego the hottest collectible on Ebay. :cloud9:

When I begin t think about what is collectible today at a store like Target, certainly Legos come to mind. I invision speculators/investors hoarding cases of each kit and even pallets of cases. Their plan is likely long term, but then I think that in 25 years when the put them back on the market and they get good money for them, then others will flood the market and they will pretty much be breaking even. I'll pass on legos thanks