• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

I would suggest this thread gets back on track soon. I have reason to believe it was 'deleted' because it was taken too far off track. Nothing being posted here has anything to do with the name or original content of this thread.

I would be more than happy to discuss this topic at a latter date (as I have in the past), in a thread designed for it.

'mint'

This might belong in "The List" thread, but has anyone tried to look for a list of the top ten collectables as a result of this discussion (if we can call it that)?

They don't exist as far as I can tell...

There is not a specific list, but these hobbies are big time. I used EBay auctions as a baromenter.

Classic Cars

Watches

Vintage Guitars

Toys

Video games

but the potentially the biggest and up and coming hobby may have been spawned from comic books itself, and that is

Comic book original art. OA is smoking hot right now.

There are some people who would say OA is a better investment bet then the comic books themselves.

Incorrect. I have been posting on these forums for well over four years now. What reason would I have to lie?

In my original thread I cited three sources to find such 'lists.' I refuse to do the work for you.

The first was TIAS, the second was The Journal of Antiques and Collectibles, and the third was Kovel's. Video games isn't even in on the list! Again, we have had a similar debate before, CC.

If anyone here cannot do a simple 'google' search to enter any if these sites, sort the data you need, and pull (or even flat out copy it); we are all in trouble.

To get an accurate view of the market, I would suggest sorting by top searches. This will provide a much more 'balanced' perspective in my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I know of the list your talking about, but that seems much more antique bias.

I think since comic books are collectibles they should be put with Classic Cars,

Watches,Vintage Guitars,Toys,Video games,

and not glassware,pottery and ceramics.

I guess it depends on how you look at it? hm

I sincerely thank you for responding in a kind manner (and after today, I truly mean that). You have to remember that much more women collect than men. Remember when I stated that people tend to suffer from 'tunnel vision' in relation to their likes and dislikes? This works the same. While I agree that they should split antiques and collectibles into two stated categories, there is one problem. That being that not even antique dealers can decide where to 'draw the line.' This is why most lists will always be 'general' in nature and also feature jewelry and decorative items.

Glass is something NOT gender specific. It is usually number one or tied for the top spot every year!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

No problem. I am trying to learn about antiques as well as collectibles. I find both categories fascinating. (thumbs u

Let me guess, because a trade paper says lots of people collect glass that must be correct.

1) How was the list compiled?

2) Did they use a large enough sample of the collecting community?

3) What is the margin of error on this study?

4) Did you simply aggregate the findings of your numerous sources into a master list or can you say that an impartial polling service collected this data?

5) Does anyone even care?

6) How many times will you act incredulous when someone else mentions a list that you yourself haven't agreed with?

7) Why do you continue to post in a thread where everyone thought you were acting like a handjob?

8) Do you like the abuse?

9) If I presented you with the a master/slave situation which role would you prefer?

10) How many glasses of scotch have I consumed.

This might belong in "The List" thread, but has anyone tried to look for a list of the top ten collectables as a result of this discussion (if we can call it that)?

They don't exist as far as I can tell...

There is not a specific list, but these hobbies are big time. I used EBay auctions as a baromenter.

Classic Cars

Watches

Vintage Guitars

Toys

Video games

but the potentially the biggest and up and coming hobby may have been spawned from comic books itself, and that is

Comic book original art. OA is smoking hot right now.

There are some people who would say OA is a better investment bet then the comic books themselves.

Incorrect. I have been posting on these forums for well over four years now. What reason would I have to lie?

In my original thread I cited three sources to find such 'lists.' I refuse to do the work for you.

The first was TIAS, the second was The Journal of Antiques and Collectibles, and the third was Kovel's. Video games isn't even in on the list! Again, we have had a similar debate before, CC.

If anyone here cannot do a simple 'google' search to enter any if these sites, sort the data you need, and pull (or even flat out copy it); we are all in trouble.

To get an accurate view of the market, I would suggest sorting by top searches. This will provide a much more 'balanced' perspective in my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I know of the list your talking about, but that seems much more antique bias.

I think since comic books are collectibles they should be put with Classic Cars,

Watches,Vintage Guitars,Toys,Video games,

and not glassware,pottery and ceramics.

I guess it depends on how you look at it? hm

I sincerely thank you for responding in a kind manner (and after today, I truly mean that). You have to remember that much more women collect than men. Remember when I stated that people tend to suffer from 'tunnel vision' in relation to their likes and dislikes? This works the same. While I agree that they should split antiques and collectibles into two stated categories, there is one problem. That being that not even antique dealers can decide where to 'draw the line.' This is why most lists will always be 'general' in nature and also feature jewelry and decorative items.

Glass is something NOT gender specific. It is usually number one or tied for the top spot every year!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Do you know if the published lists that have been reposted are based on volume of sales, number of discrete collectors, number of recorded transactions, or some other criteria?

Let me guess, because a trade paper says lots of people collect glass that must be correct.

1) How was the list compiled?

2) Did they use a large enough sample of the collecting community?

3) What is the margin of error on this study?

4) Did you simply aggregate the findings of your numerous sources into a master list or can you say that an impartial polling service collected this data?

5) Does anyone even care?

6) How many times will you act incredulous when someone else mentions a list that you yourself haven't agreed with?

7) Why do you continue to post in a thread where everyone thought you were acting like a handjob?

8) Do you like the abuse?

9) If I presented you with the a master/slave situation which role would you prefer?

10) How many glasses of scotch have I consumed.

Now that is quality rant! :devil:

I'm more the Canadian whiskey type myself - but I'd guess you have consumed three, maybe four glasses of scotch.