• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,035 posts in this topic

Couple of long term subs shipped recently. I think it's interesting they effectively posted grades and shipped same day even though they were checked in 2 weeks apart and graded 2 weeks apart. It would appear that some of the delay is waiting to actually be slabbed. 

11x Modern (no addl services)                 
Delivered: 9/14                                         
Rcvd: 9/14
SFG: 9/14
G/E/I: 1/18
Graded: 1/19
QC: 2/10
Shipped: 2/10
Charged: 10/5

5x Modern (no addl services
Delivered: 10/1                                       
Rcvd: 10/5
SFG: 10/5
G/E/I: 2/3
Graded: 2/3
QC: 2/10
Shipped: 2/10
Charged: 10/7

On 2/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, Fisionbomb said:

I can never hold back and wait for a surprise, always peek. Sent in raw IMO both 9.8, opted for pressing anyway (which I doubt they did given the sign date of 02/01 and already shipped) but both are coming back 9.8.  Woot!

Awesome awesome awesome!

so how long will it be before TATs show any decline? it has been 130 moderns/195 econ/73 standard for months now. is it just going to get longer and longer for ever and ever? so once my membership renews, I have a 2 month window to sub economy level books if using that membership? and even less if getting pressed somewhere? cray cray essentially a book in my hand today cannot get back to me within a single membership...my membership ends 2/28 and why would I auto renew, even with the discount?

Edited by Bird

On 2/17/2022 at 10:02 AM, Bird said:

so how long will it be before TATs show any decline? it has been 130 moderns/195 econ/73 standard for months now. is it just going to get longer and longer for ever and ever? so once my membership renews, I have a 2 month window to sub economy level books if using that membership? and even less if getting pressed somewhere? cray cray essentially a book in my hand today cannot get back to me within a single membership...my membership ends 2/28 and why would I auto renew, even with the discount?

My Modern Fast Track just shipped at 37 business days.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:10 AM, gregwynn said:

My Modern Fast Track just shipped at 37 business days.

its called the "lottery" because of this, they want to have these subs publicized but TATs remain unchanged for the vast majority and anything other than moderns (but if 37 was the real TAT you KNOW they would advertise that)

On 2/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, zupaphly said:

2 more of my 4/7 CCS/CGC submissions shipped today... ooofff... talk about some tough grading 😬 I'll be anxious to look at these. Out of the 4 that have been graded so far 1 sat in GEI for 2 1/2 months (great grades)... the other 3 were at CCS 2 1/2 months longer, but when transferred over flew through all of GEI, QC, shipped in a 2-3 day time period (not the best grades)... did these go to the new grading unit and expidited? These new graders need to ease up a bit... sheeeesh... or maybe I'm just old and need to invest in some glasses lol... 1 submission left to be finished, and now I'm nervous 😬

The problem is that it's very hard to remember why we submitted certain books for pressing almost a year ago. When I got back my two 4/11 submissions this weekend, there were several books that had noticeable color breaking pressed out creases. For the life of me I can't remember if I saw these before and just took a chance submitting them anyway, or completely missed the defects. Heck, after 1 year I can't even remember submitting certain books. I will say that when I went back and inspected the 29 books that did receive 9.8 grades it wasn't like all of them were absolutely flawless. I would say that CGC grading was consistent with previous submissions. Once you go over a couple of tiny defects, the book will receive a 9.6 or 9.4 grade.

One thing I wanted to add. You are more likely to receive a 9.8 grade on a book with only 1 somewhat noticeable defect than another book that has 4 or 5 microscopic defects. 

Edited by skybolt

On 2/17/2022 at 9:10 AM, skybolt said:

The problem is that it's very hard to remember why we submitted certain books for pressing almost a year ago. When I got back my two 4/11 submissions this weekend, there were several books that had noticeable color breaking pressed out creases. For the life of me I can't remember if I saw these before and just took a chance submitting them anyway, or completely missed the defects. Heck, after 1 year I can't even remember submitting certain books. I will say that when I went back and inspected the 29 books that did receive 9.8 grades it wasn't like all of them were absolutely flawless. I would say that CGC grading was consistent with previous submissions. Once you go over a couple of tiny defects, the book will receive a 9.6 or 9.4 grade.

One thing I wanted to add. You are more likely to receive a 9.8 grade on a book with only 1 somewhat noticeable defect than another book that has 4 or 5 microscopic defects. 

Yeah, I got a lot of 9.4s... most of which I thought had a fair chance at 9.6... cgc did not concur 😂😂😂😭

On 2/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, skybolt said:

Dang, CGC just charged my credit card for over $3k all at once. :tonofbricks: It's for 4 modern submissions received in mid October and 2 more in mid December. No movement on the tracking page though.

Da... urr, darn.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:26 PM, batmiesta said:

No! it's not, I have a 12 mag sub that was delivered 20th Jan, still not in the system, I just think they please themselves what they decide to open. :mad:

CGC charged my CC for this submission they just received I thought they didn't charge until ready for shipping? Is that correct or is this new? 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:48 PM, evmucollects said:

They just hit me for $3500 yesterday as well (for Nov-Jan submissions) - maybe their 1st Quarter revenue is looking a little light.

$1800 here! 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, billsid said:

CGC charged my CC for this submission they just received I thought they didn't charge until ready for shipping? Is that correct or is this new? 

I find they charge around the beginning of the grading process.

I had some charges of unusual numbers yesterday show up as an authorized charges but it was too little for the four modern subs I had delivered a month ago.

I didn't get an email confirmation so I don't know what it's for but I have an email into accounting to ask them WTF.

At least it's less than expected.  I've had it in the past when they charged me some weird overcharge of $3243.18 when it should have been $1310.  I got F'd on the reversal due to exchange rate differences.