• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

I was going to make another topic for this, but honestly this is probably the best forum thread to ask the question. I'm looking to track down when a submission date was generated to see how long from start to finish it took. Hoping some boardies here who submit often can just compare their old submission numbers to #2613400. (Not the actual submission number, but it's close.) It would likely have been around mid May to early June 2021.

(I do realize it's over the 8 month threshold unfortunately too.)

Edited by Tnexus

On 2/28/2022 at 1:48 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

zero chance 

I guess time will tell. I remember collecting pre-CGC, and it was a lot of fun guessing at grades and finding amazing deals on key books. It doesn't matter to me either way. As long as Ive been reading comics I'm in either way it goes.

I still think the signings HAVE to stop! CGC announces what seems like 1 or 2 new signings every other week with a 6 week TAT. Definitely got to have an affect on the other TAT's with these books are getting bumped ahead of others. They should at least give it a 3 or 6 month break and see if there's any change in the backlog.

9 signings scheduled in March so far

7 signings already scheduled for April

Edited by billsid

perhaps they don't care about modern and economy level books and want to make their coin on walk-through and standard, how would you dissuade submissions without outright stopping the service? hm

I think CGC is doing a marketing test to see where people will draw the line at sending it fast track vs non-fast track.  With every tweak they are finding out where people break down and not submit, change the regular submissions to fast track, or stay with the long TAT's.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, J RANDALL said:

I think CGC is doing a marketing test to see where people will draw the line at sending it fast track vs non-fast track.  With every tweak they are finding out where people break down and not submit, change the regular submissions to fast track, or stay with the long TAT's.

I think that's giving CGG way too much credit. 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:55 AM, Tnexus said:

Hoping some boardies here who submit often can just compare their old submission numbers to #2613400.

Don't understand your sub#. I track historically and closest I have is a 214.... delivered June 2020 then jumped to a 370.... for delivered August 2020. So almost two years old. 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, cd4ever said:

This is the first post regarding movement on a Value submission I have seen in some time. I have a sub that has been SFG since mid-July.  Maybe I will actually see those books again!  But probably not. 

Can it be a coincidence that books locked in at lower fees like value books AND pre-price change books are waiting longer?  

Its one thing to wait a year if books are being graded in the order they were received, but based on all the feedback here this is certainly not the case. 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Can it be a coincidence that books locked in at lower fees like value books AND pre-price change books are waiting longer?  

Its one thing to wait a year if books are being graded in the order they were received, but based on all the feedback here this is certainly not the case. 

This is what I worry about. Based on the submission numbers people were kind enough to share I should have a submission in the modern tier graded in about 5 or 6 weeks, maybe a bit longer if the bottleneck grew just before my submission got to CGC. But then there are stories of people waiting months longer who had their submissions in the queue long before mine were sent in. 

I also find it interesting that CGC is hiring and has 14 open positions in the Grading Department. 

Careers - Grading Department 

Coin Grading
Vintage World Coin Grader 
Coin Cataloger and Verifier 
Ancient Coin Grader 
Vintage US Coin Grader 
Modern US Coin Grader 
Modern World Coin Grader 

Comic Grading
Vintage Comic Grader 

Paper Money Grading
Paper Money Grader 

Sport Card Grading
Outside Sales Representative
Sports Card Grader 

Stamp Grading
Stamp Grader 

Trading Card Grading
Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Grader 
Trading Cards Grader 

Video Game Grading
Video Game Grader 

Only 1 Comic grader needed (Vintage Comic Grader), apparently the TAT's for all the modern submissions are right where CGC wants them!    

On 2/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, Petroman said:

Its a great question and it will be interesting to see how things play out.  If you ask me there really needs to be something between a CGC/CBCS slab and a book in Mylar.  I know CBCS offers/offered a "raw grade" service where books would just come back in Mylar sleeves with some type of tamper resistant stickers sealing the flap.  I can see the benefits of such a service, especially for personal collection books and newer books that you want to buy or sell on Ebay that maybe are worth $50-$100 (which is probably a large percentage of the books currently sold, and likely a large percentage of the books currently submitted for grading). 

Slabbed books are great, but they do present some major issues with storage.  A short box that used to hold 125 books now becomes a larger dimension short box that only holds 25 books.  Having a slabbed collection with a large number (500+) of books would require a significant amount of space, not to mention the grading cost.

I think slabs assign an approximate value to the book whereas a raw book is so subjective. Think of passing away and now your collection is in the hands of someone who might know nothing about comics. Slabs at least can give a roadmap to what it is worth. Raws most likely will get pennies on the dollar unless the person knows how to grade and has the time to get top dollar. I feel better getting my higher priced books slabbed for that reason alone. Some of us spent decades collecting this stuff and for it to get bulked out for pennies on the dollar is a huge slap in the face.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:54 AM, Bird said:

perhaps they don't care about modern and economy level books and want to make their coin on walk-through and standard, how would you dissuade submissions without outright stopping the service? hm

Maximizing revenue.  That’s the ultimate goal.  Hence the non stop signature events.

What I worry about is that they decide to raise prices every three to six months to lessen TATs.  That much demand for a service gives a business some pretty significant pricing power.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:42 AM, JJ-4 said:

Only 1 Comic grader needed (Vintage Comic Grader), apparently the TAT's for all the modern submissions are right where CGC wants them!    

They dont need more graders besides maybe 1-2 more vintage.

They need more easily replaceable dime a dozen jobs which usually are the high turnover jobs.  IMO run encapsulated room 16 hours a day.  Two 8-hour shifts.

What I need is for people to stop sending in their junk comics to get graded.  Collectors are the biggest problem right now not CGC.  Cant have high TaT's if they are getting 50% less books. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 3/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

What I need is for people to stop sending in their junk comics to get graded.  Collectors are the biggest problem right now not CGC.  Cant have high TaT's if they are getting 50% less books. 

Yup, although I would qualify this by pointing out that people are sending in way more books for grading because the market went nuts during COVID. Waiting times are never fun but not so much an issue prior to the pandemic. 

On 3/1/2022 at 11:22 AM, Stefan_W said:

Yup, although I would qualify this by pointing out that people are sending in way more books for grading because the market went nuts during COVID. Waiting times are never fun but not so much an issue prior to the pandemic. 

Yes we covered this many months ago, however most of those modern books have calmed down so now I do think the fad has passed or leveled off a lot.

Sending in Uncanny X-Men #244 to get a CGC 8.0 is now not a good idea. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder