• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 1:27 PM, Petroman said:

This is the main reason I have stopped sending books to CGC.  My last few shipments came back on average 1-2 grades lower than expected.  Just can't justify sending them anything else until their get their house in order.

You can rinse and repeat that same saying since the year 2000.

This mentality will never ever change.

Some people will always think CGC is too tight, fair, or loose.

What you just said is the same logic as when people sit out of buying stocks because the stock market is too high or they are trying to time the market.

The best day to send your books to CGC was yesterday, and the second best was today. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 3/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, Stefan_W said:

9 of my last 13 CGC submissions had grades I was roughly expecting, and the other 4 were totally hosed by the grader. For one of the hosed shipments I re-subbed 6 books that were originally graded with four 9.2s and two 9.4s, and with no addition press or anything the second time through there were three 9.6s and three 9.8s. 

So about a quarter of the shipments were destroyed by impossibly tough grading. I figure maybe it was new graders trying to show they are tough or something like that. 

Welcome to sending books to CGC since day 1 lol

I just got my usual monthly 150 books back from CGC.  Grades were mostly fine with the per usual 2-5 books to re-sub if its worth doing.  That is normal and just how it goes.

I certainly disagree sometimes overall on a CGC invoice in a given year.  However, I will say this in 2021 I had about about 8 people showed me many CGC books they thought should have graded higher.  I gave the vast majority of them back to the submitter and said, "you missed this, this, and this."  Too many people think they can grade but in reality they can't.  There are so many little defects that go beyond just checkin the spine and 4 corners.  There is a very short list of Professional Comic Book Graders in the world, and to be blunt most people that submit to CGC aren't on that list.  I am not taking any jab at you as many of us have had books come back lower only to resub them to get the desired grades we envisioned in the first place, so I totally get your frustration.  My point is again so many people complain about lower grades when in fact they miss defects because they are amateur graders.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 3/3/2022 at 3:00 PM, Stefan_W said:

9 of my last 13 CGC submissions had grades I was roughly expecting, and the other 4 were totally hosed by the grader. For one of the hosed shipments I re-subbed 6 books that were originally graded with four 9.2s and two 9.4s, and with no addition press or anything the second time through there were three 9.6s and three 9.8s. 

So about a quarter of the shipments were destroyed by impossibly tough grading. I figure maybe it was new graders trying to show they are tough or something like that. 

Side question and for the peanut gallery too: when you submit for a re-grade do you crack it out yourself and just submit again or submit in the slab and have it regraded? I ask because I think it’s the former but I’m always afraid I’m going to damage the book if I crack it out myself. If it’s the latter, the paranoid spidey sense I have feels like they’ll just give it the same grade if they know what it came in with. 

On 3/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, DocSaum said:

Side question and for the peanut gallery too: when you submit for a re-grade do you crack it out yourself and just submit again or submit in the slab and have it regraded? I ask because I think it’s the former but I’m always afraid I’m going to damage the book if I crack it out myself. If it’s the latter, the paranoid spidey sense I have feels like they’ll just give it the same grade if they know what it came in with. 

When I resubmitted books I ALWAYS crack them myself.  (Only exception being Signature Series for obvious reasons)

I would rather damage my own books and then know how they got damaged and whether or not they are still good slabbing candidates. 

This also gives me a chance to better assess the book myself for the possibly of unseen defects.  

Plus I get to read / go through them. :cloud9:

Just my 2c

On 3/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, sevans1979 said:

I sent 1 book for the Perez signing. Once it was cancelled per the email I choose to have it graded in a blue label. Here are my dates. No pressing. 

Delivered to CGC via USPS 1/7

Marked received 1/17

SFG 1/17

Grading/Encap/imaging 2/2

Fast movement but I wonder how long it will sit in GEI

Annndddd a day later we are at Grading/QC 

C057AA05-3E30-43BA-A150-AAD81C446692.thumb.jpeg.5c9a81c0d1cecef07b0ff3aaa81e2f5c.jpeg

On 3/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

You can rinse and repeat that same saying since the year 2000.

This mentality will never ever change.

Some people will always think CGC is too tight, fair, or loose.

What you just said is the same logic as when people sit out of buying stocks because the stock market is too high or they are trying to time the market.

The best day to send your books to CGC was yesterday, and the second best was today. 

Maybe my recent submissions have been edge cases, maybe not.  I do think that the lower grades seemed to coincide with the massive increase in TATs that started last spring and the subsequent hiring of new graders.  I also noticed far fewer grader notes which left me with the feeling that the grading process had deteriorated a bit.  Maybe its better now, my last batch was an MFT from September which was received back in Nov.  

On 3/3/2022 at 6:48 PM, DocSaum said:

I cracked myself. I did not want them to use the original grade as an sort of basis for the regrade. 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, Petroman said:

Maybe my recent submissions have been edge cases, maybe not.  I do think that the lower grades seemed to coincide with the massive increase in TATs that started last spring and the subsequent hiring of new graders.  I also noticed far fewer grader notes which left me with the feeling that the grading process had deteriorated a bit.  Maybe its better now, my last batch was an MFT from September which was received back in Nov.  

I really havn't looked at Graders notes over the last 10 years.  

IMO graders notes on anything over 9.4 waste CGC grader's time where they could be grading faster. 

The #1 problem for TaT's right now is us.  If 50% of the people would stop submitting their complete trash real books would get graded in a proper time frame.  I am back to getting my normal quota of books back from CGC each month after giving them 4-5 months cash advance until their Tat's caught up to mine.

On 3/3/2022 at 3:00 PM, Stefan_W said:

This is the reason why 3 graders are required for each book, with the last one being an experienced person. I don't mind new graders being too harsh or too loose on certain books, but this should be corrected by the experienced grader when checking the books for consistency against other copies previously graded.

I don't profess to be a top notch grader, but I have submitted close to 2,000 modern books over the past 18-19 years. When CGC grading is a bit a loose, 90-95% of the books I send in come back with the exact grade predicted or a grade higher. When CGC tightens grading a bit, I'm usually batting around 50-60%. However, these 2 recent submissions were completely out of whack. There is no way I miss-graded 40 out of 43 books. It's literally like someone was only giving out 9.8's if the books were borderline 9.9's. Also, when I'm confident about 9.8's, I'm usually 90-95% right. With these 2 submissions, I would say I only got about 15% of those correct. Bonkers.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:06 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I really havn't looked at Graders notes over the last 10 years.  

IMO graders notes on anything over 9.4 waste CGC grader's time where they could be grading faster. 

The #1 problem for TaT's right now is us.  If 50% of the people would stop submitting their complete trash real books would get graded in a proper time frame.  I am back to getting my normal quota of books back from CGC each month after giving them 4-5 months cash advance until their Tat's caught up to mine.

I see very similar things written over at the PSA boards. It does seem the pandemic was catalyst to mine as much over-produced modern excrement from ones storage closet as possible and send it for professional grading.  Still someone is buying when it hits the social media magical number of 9.8. 

Seriously there are over 11,000 Spawn #1's in 9.8 or higher, yet rubes buyin' them for few hundred bills as an "investment".  

Spawn #1 census data

9.8 Universal = 8,568*
9.9 Universal = 69*
10.0 Universal = 6**
9.8 Signature = 2,392*
9.9 Signature = 7*
---------------------------
Total 9.8 or higher = 11,042**
* = Highest All-Time
** - 2nd Highest in census

Venom Lethal Protector #1 is next most categories and rubes spending a couple hundred bills or more on that.

Be interesting to see as those pop numbers jump in leaps and bounds this year and demand likley wanes how much  basic economic cornerstones come into play on those 2 books.

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/

Why are TAT's practically one year? Perhaps part of the reason is your books are sitting behind a K2 size mountain of stuff like Spawn #1, Venom LP #1, ASM 365, ASM 361, X-Men #1, X-Men #4 and soon a monsoon of Ultimate Fallout #4 to add to #'s already less than 35 away from 3,000....

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/3/2022 at 9:12 PM, skybolt said:

This is the reason why 3 graders are required for each book, with the last one being an experienced person. I don't mind new graders being too harsh or too loose on certain books, but this should be corrected by the experienced grader when checking the books for consistency against other copies previously graded.

I don't profess to be a top notch grader, but I have submitted close to 2,000 modern books over the past 18-19 years. When CGC grading is a bit a loose, 90-95% of the books I send in come back with the exact grade predicted or a grade higher. When CGC tightens grading a bit, I'm usually batting around 50-60%. However, these 2 recent submissions were completely out of whack. There is no way I miss-graded 40 out of 43 books. It's literally like someone was only giving out 9.8's if the books were borderline 9.9's. Also, when I'm confident about 9.8's, I'm usually 90-95% right. With these 2 submissions, I would say I only got about 15% of those correct. Bonkers.

My numbers over the years are pretty consistent since my first sub in 2000. I keep a record of my estimated grades and grades received from CGC.  I am correct approx 70% of the time, receive higher than estimated approx 20%, receive lower than estimated approx 10%.

I will say virtually all my subs are high grade where I feel it's easier to be accurate.  Mid grade presents a challenge for me to estimate. BTW most of the time I receive 9.8's for books that I estimate are 9.6 are on Bronze.  My guess is the difference resides in the negative value I place on certain defects compared to CGC's standards.

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/3/2022 at 8:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

My numbers over the years are pretty consistent since my first sub in 2000. I keep a record of my estimated grades and grades received from CGC.  I am correct approx 70% of the time, receive higher than estimated approx 20%, receive lower than estimated approx 10%.

I will say virtually all my subs are high grade where I feel it's easier to be accurate.  Mid grade presents a challenge for me to estimate. BTW most of the time I receive 9.8's for books that I estimate are 9.6 are on Bronze.  My guess is the difference resides in the negative value I place on certain defects compared to CGC's standards.

For typical submissions I agree with you. Experienced graders realize that books manufactured in the 70's and 80's did not have perfectly crisp corners and weren't always as flat as pancakes. What my fear is going forward is that some of the new graders are grading 70's and 80's books like they were manufactured yesterday, meaning that you have no choice but to get them all pressed (I may do that from now on). For instance, as I was scrolling down my 2 recent submissions and seeing all the 9.6's, I told myself I bet the only book that will receive a 9.8 grade is the one from 2020. Of course I was correct. 

Also, when my two 10/19 submissions went from SFG to G/E/I to Grading/QC and then shipped in literally 2 hours, I had a feeling the grades were going to be bad.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:06 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

nah, just talk to a microphone as you grade, then clerical types it up

I am with you on the rest of what you said. But I may change my mind when my next sub comes back. :devil:

On 3/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Welcome to sending books to CGC since day 1 lol

I just got my usual monthly 150 books back from CGC.  Grades were mostly fine with the per usual 2-5 books to re-sub if its worth doing.  That is normal and just how it goes.

I certainly disagree sometimes overall on a CGC invoice in a given year.  However, I will say this in 2021 I had about about 8 people showed me many CGC books they thought should have graded higher.  I gave the vast majority of them back to the submitter and said, "you missed this, this, and this."  Too many people think they can grade but in reality they can't.  There are so many little defects that go beyond just checkin the spine and 4 corners.  There is a very short list of Professional Comic Book Graders in the world, and to be blunt most people that submit to CGC aren't on that list.  I am not taking any jab at you as many of us have had books come back lower only to resub them to get the desired grades we envisioned in the first place, so I totally get your frustration.  My point is again so many people complain about lower grades when in fact they miss defects because they are amateur graders.

It is like professional shark feeders. I only know of two of them, and only one still has both their hands.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, MAR1979 said:

Why are TAT's practically one year? Perhaps part of the reason is your books are sitting behind a K2 size mountain of stuff like Spawn #1, Venom LP #1, ASM 365, ASM 361, X-Men #1, X-Men #4 and soon a monsoon of Ultimate Fallout #4 to add to #'s already less than 35 away from 3,000....

And good for them!  I love seeing an active, vibrant collecting community.  

Modern Slow Track (50 Books)
Delivered 09/20/21
Received 10/19/21
Scheduled For Grading 10/19/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 03/22/02
Shipped 03/04/22

Delivered 10/28/21
Received 11/01/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/01/21

Modern Slow Track (100 Books)
Delivered 11/18/21
Received 11/23/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/23/21

Delivered 01/24/22
Received 02/22/22
Scheduled For Grading 02/22/22

Delivered 02/10/22

On 3/4/2022 at 10:41 AM, lonetree said:

Delivered 09/20/21
Received 10/19/21
Scheduled For Grading 10/19/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 03/22/02
Shipped 03/04/22

Delivered 10/28/21
Received 11/01/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/01/21

Delivered 11/18/21
Received 11/23/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/23/21

Delivered 01/24/22
Received 02/22/22
Scheduled For Grading 02/22/22

Delivered 02/10/22

I can kind of make it out, I assume 2/22/22 for GEI under the highlighted part, but you may want to update for the future.

Seven submission order but had a Walkthru that got the box opened immediately.  Fast track seems to be making a difference to get to GEI status.  

Fast Track Economy with Labels (4 Books)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Scheduled For Grading 02/16/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 02/24/21

Fast Track Economy with NO Labels (8 Books)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 02/24/21

Fast Track Modern with Labels (3 Books)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 02/25/21
Grading Quality Control 03/01/21 - CGC charged 03/01/21

Modern Slow Track (25 Books)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Scheduled For Grading 02/16/22

Modern Pre-sceen Slow Track with Labels (25 Books)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Scheduled For Grading 02/16/22

Standard (4 Books)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 03/01/21
Grading Quality Control 03/03/21 - CGC charged 03/03/21
Shipped 03/04/21

Walkthru with CCS Restoration Screening (1 Book)
Delivered 02/16/21
Received 02/16/21
Received at CCS 02/16/21