• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 7:27 PM, eddly said:

Here's what I got. Actually none of these are mine, I'm just being used for my CGC account:

image.thumb.png.991a04ee16097ec38b8ed1040a836284.png

I'm not knocking that at all :wishluck:

Now I understand a bit the submission I got back the other day, some with "little spine stresses" notes, that either got 9.2 or gap 8.0, with the same notes. I dont press usually at all, and chalked it up to just not being thorough.

I'd still take those grades over mine, but with my books. :insane:

Lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not knocking that at all :wishluck:

Now I understand a bit the submission I got back the other day, some with "little spine stresses" notes, that either got 9.2 or gap 8.0, with the same notes. I dont press usually at all, and chalked it up to just not being thorough.

I'd still take those grades over mine, but with my books. :insane:

Lol

I live on the edge, I never check the back of the comic or internal pages.

Edited by eddly

On 4/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, eddly said:

Lol I checked on mine, although some of the Notes are stains that I missed or "multiple bends".

I'm not sure the bends warrant an 8.5. Still pressing is sometimes just :pullhair:

Idk most looked flat to me lol

Not complaining, but analyzing for next time hm

On 4/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, eddly said:

In the day-and-age of slabbed comics maybe somethings gotta give.  Things like "bends" will likely be fixed over time simply by being encapsulated.  Front cover is most visible part of the book, back cover next.  Interior pages will never be seen again while encapsulated.  Missing pages would be pretty significant.  A missing Marvel Value Stamp should be a grade ding, but hard to see why its significant.  A ripped or bent page?  Who cares?  Front and back cover should be 95+% of the grade.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Mine went from GEI to G/QC to Shipped in the matter of a few hours today. You should be close…expect a bunch of 9.8s graded as 9.6s…

Yeah, I've learned from previous submissions is that when books move from SFG (after sitting at CGC for months) to Shipped in a matter of hours, it's never a good sign. Same thing happened to me last time.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

Received- 3/31

Status - Scheduled for grading

Now to play the waiting game

I sent my last batch in on 6/10 then they were "received" 8/13. I would not have sent in my books had I known it was going to take a year to get them back. Maybe even longer. Mine are still waiting to be pressed. Grading wait time is half a year, so it's looking more like this coming fall or winter.

Just got grades back on 50 slow track modern books that were received on 12/7

Out of 50 books, 35 of them I thought were either slam dunk 9.8s or were coin flip 9.6/9.8.

Based on my track record with previous subs, my accuracy is around 2/3 or 66% on books like this coming back 9.8.

I was sad to see that this time around, my accuracy was closer to 33% as I only received 10 9.8 copies total.

I wonder if the stricter grading on modern books is to deter more of them being sent in a time where CGC is drowning in submissions? If that is the case, I won’t be sending in any more books until I notice that grading eases up a bit.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, jjfversion1 said:

I wonder if the stricter grading on modern books is to deter more of them being sent in a time where CGC is drowning in submissions?

I predominantly submit bronze/copper age books with smattering of others from 2000s. From what I'm seeing return on books with much more variance (8.5-9.6 range) it appears the grading is tightening up from a technical perspective. Less allowance for subjective wiggle room, like "yeah it's technically a 9.6 but looks better than the last 5 I saw, so curving up."

Absolutely nothing to base that on but my own experience on lower quality books. But since TATs have sped up a little bit, my guess is we have a bunch of trainee graders set loose who are very by the book and aren't allowed to have a professional opinion that deviates far from whatever checklists they use. With that in mind, my expectations are set appropriately for new subs.

Just noticed this yesterday. 

Credit Card was charged Friday for all 3 subs at the same time. 

The smaller 3 book sub was at Quality Control once I saw the CC was charged. 

So looking forward to these "Thought Bubble" con subs finally making their way back...very excited!

cgc april 8.jpg

On 4/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Just got grades back on 50 slow track modern books that were received on 12/7

Out of 50 books, 35 of them I thought were either slam dunk 9.8s or were coin flip 9.6/9.8.

Based on my track record with previous subs, my accuracy is around 2/3 or 66% on books like this coming back 9.8.

I was sad to see that this time around, my accuracy was closer to 33% as I only received 10 9.8 copies total.

I wonder if the stricter grading on modern books is to deter more of them being sent in a time where CGC is drowning in submissions? If that is the case, I won’t be sending in any more books until I notice that grading eases up a bit.

I was talking to my local comic store owner and mentioned the same the thing to him. He said he submits books for many customers and wishes the change in grades was due to tightened grading across the board. Unfortunately, his customers are seeing the same thing we're seeing here, which is one submission graded consistently with how CGC has been doing it for years, while the other one gets hammered.

For example, I've gotten 8 submissions graded over the past 2 months. I'm batting between 50-60% for 9.8 graded books with 6 submissions and around 7% with the other 2.

Edited by skybolt

On 4/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, skybolt said:

I was talking to my local comic store owner and mentioned the same the thing to him. He said he submits books for many customers and wishes the change in grades was due to tightened grading across the board. Unfortunately, his customers are seeing the same thing we're seeing here, which is one submission graded consistently with how CGC has been doing it for years, while the other one gets hammered.

For example, I've gotten 8 submissions graded over the past 2 months. I'm batting between 50-60% for 9.8 graded books with 6 submissions and around 7% with the other 2.

Could be they are tougher now, though I haven’t seen that in my own submissions. It could also just be regression to the mean and bandwagoning. If you flip a coin long enough, at some point you’ll get tails 20 times in a row. It’s not necessarily a conspiracy—it’ll still be very close to 50-50 in the long run. You might just be flipping tails at the moment. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:02 AM, Poekaymon said:

Could be they are tougher now, though I haven’t seen that in my own submissions. It could also just be regression to the mean and bandwagoning. If you flip a coin long enough, at some point you’ll get tails 20 times in a row. It’s not necessarily a conspiracy—it’ll still be very close to 50-50 in the long run. You might just be flipping tails at the moment. 

I think this is true for books that are borderline. With the 6 submissions I mentioned, I would say 75% of the borderline books came back with a lower grade (which is understandable), but I was still batting around 90-95% on books I was sure would come back as 9.8. With the 2 other submissions, even the slam dunk 9.8 candidates were coming back as 9.6. 

On 4/9/2022 at 5:05 PM, IceHole said:

Just noticed this yesterday. 

Credit Card was charged Friday for all 3 subs at the same time. 

The smaller 3 book sub was at Quality Control once I saw the CC was charged. 

So looking forward to these "Thought Bubble" con subs finally making their way back...very excited!

cgc april 8.jpg

...and my 3 book submission went from Quality Control to Shipped today! 

cgc april 11.jpg