• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,089 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, Axe Elf said:

I don't think "soft" or "hard" grading would bother me much if it was across the board--but it seems crazy to me that people can just keep re-submitting the same books and get a 9.0 one time and a 9.6 the next time and then an 8.5 when they send it in hoping for a 9.8 instead of the 9.6.  That removes the standard of objectivity as well.

Soft or hard, it should ideally be consistent across graders who are contemporaries.

The only thing I care about is consistency. It's been an issue since I started submitting 20 years ago. A 9.8 20 years ago should be a 9.8 today. 

On 4/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, skybolt said:

It could also be a case of CGC grading books more harshly these days (in certain cases) to reduce the glut of high grade copies hitting the market all at the same time. For example, if all of sudden 10 times as many copies of Batman #500 are submitted for grading, this could potentially kill the market for this issue if 10 times as many 9.8 copies hit EBay all at the same time. If that happens then less people will submit this particular issue in the future since the return value would have dropped significantly. 

This is even more evident for books like ASM #300 and 361. I have two 9.8 copies of ASM #361, which I purchased already graded about 5 years ago. Since that time, I've owned better looking raw high grade copies, but can't get a 9.8 for the life of me.

You do make some really good points here. I just wish they were a bit more consistent with their grading and they are not. As I had mentioned earlier, some of the books in this last batch got higher grades than they should of and then the other way around with a few others. Just baffling all around.

We have to wonder if some of the inconsistency is coming from all those new people they hired and some are grading properly, while others could be over grading and a few others are under grading.

My other thought is and not sure if you guys know. Let's say you send in 15-20 books, do they all go to one grader or do they get disbursed amongst 2-3 graders? I would think one person would be grading a single submission so books do not get lost.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:35 PM, Dikko said:

Submitted 10 Economy last year. Arrived CGC 6/22 . Listed 8/19 and STILL IN SFG !!

My Tracking number has now disappeared.

The tracker currently only shows 8 months of history. You can still search for the submission number at the top of that page, and will receive an email once they are shipped. 

On 4/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, irishcritic said:

100% true! The inconsistency is ridiculous and unnerving.

Unfortunately, the inconsistency will hurt everyone in the long run.

I would rather have CGC come out and say that starting May 1st, 2022 we will tighten the grading for 9.8 books than having inconsistencies in various submissions. At least with tightened grading across the board, the market will adjust, and buyers will know they're getting pristine 9.8 copies if graded after a certain date. 

Honestly, from now on, I will likely have all early 1990's and older books pressed before grading, since some new graders are knocking off a couple of grades if the book does not have a perfectly flat spine (even though this was not how it was manufactured).

On 4/21/2022 at 9:27 AM, skybolt said:

Unfortunately, the inconsistency will hurt everyone in the long run.

I would rather have CGC come out and say that starting May 1st, 2022 we will tighten the grading for 9.8 books than having inconsistencies in various submissions. At least with tightened grading across the board, the market will adjust, and buyers will know they're getting pristine 9.8 copies if graded after a certain date. 

Honestly, from now on, I will likely have all early 1990's and older books pressed before grading, since some new graders are knocking off a couple of grades if the book does not have a perfectly flat spine (even though this was not how it was manufactured).

You never had your books from the 90's and earlier pressed/cleaned? I don't think I would ever send anything to CGC or CBCS without having been pressed/cleaned, that is possibly leaving too much money on the table. As we see, even doing all that, their grading is so all over the place. In this last batch that I sent over, I have a few books in there that I sent in a specific way to see how they grade and how they come back.

I wish they were more transparent on how they are grading these books. What I do not understand, is that you would think they would be much tighter on grading with newer modern books so those should have less flaws in a real world scenario vs. books from the Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Copper Ages which were handled differently.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, captainzombie said:

You never had your books from the 90's and earlier pressed/cleaned? I don't think I would ever send anything to CGC or CBCS without having been pressed/cleaned, that is possibly leaving too much money on the table. As we see, even doing all that, their grading is so all over the place. In this last batch that I sent over, I have a few books in there that I sent in a specific way to see how they grade and how they come back.

I wish they were more transparent on how they are grading these books. What I do not understand, is that you would think they would be much tighter on grading with newer modern books so those should have less flaws in a real world scenario vs. books from the Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Copper Ages which were handled differently.

To clarify, I do actually have most (if not al) books in the $150 to $200 plus range dry cleaned and pressed (just in case). I'll do the same for lower valued books that have noticeable dents / non-color breaking creases.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, captainzombie said:

Pressing isn't always needed. I have a prescreen coming tomorrow with books mostly from 1990. No pressing.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:
On 4/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, captainzombie said:

Pressing isn't always needed. I have a prescreen coming tomorrow with books mostly from 1990. No pressing.

lol for the sake of peace of mind, you should add if the "results" were impressive or at least satisfactory :):wishluck: 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@skybolt, for your 4/11 CCS submission have they charged your credit card yet?  4/11 is about 260 business days....  ???

Yes, I was billed on 1/6/2022 along with 3 other submissions. The other 3 submissions were pressed and graded 2 months ago, but this one is still lingering. I contacted CGC 2 weeks ago and they told me the books are currently being pressed. Not sure why this is taking longer than the others.