• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 8:34 AM, JollyComics said:

I can imagine that expensive tier for sure.

It's nuts. The last 3 orders, my M/FT orders have been finalized and shipped out way before my walkthroughs have. I've been trying to send in one really expensive book with each order as a walkthrough so the costs are not as bad. LOL!

I'm prepping another batch to send out on Monday, but plan to do about 30 books this time as I have many books that I was buying to sell off and need to do that as it helps fund the hobby.

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/29/2022 at 6:01 AM, gregwynn said:

Economy Fast Track

RCVD 24 March

GEI 27 April

Did your submission jump back to the top of the submission page?

Spoiler

@Bird we finally got an update on economy.  :banana:

On 4/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, universal soldier said:

Without fully knowing what is under the hood, yes I think so. The submission tracking page is just data output so it should be that simple.

It's hard to say.  Surely it would have been done if it was simple, right?  My guess is that they archive older records off onto a different server.  Which requires the API to search for the CGC order number in the archive.  So a bit of a redesign might be in order?  

Alec

On 4/27/2022 at 7:38 PM, Iceman399 said:

Haha 8/10 and don't have a ship notification and can't seem to get to my old order as I don't have the stupid cgc number just the order number which isn't working :(

I am 9/28 Economy Magazine.  With a 187 day TAT, my handy dandy business day calculator states I should be seeing my books by .July 1 2022.

image.thumb.png.76b38c2d5a4f4a49eb47f137bd2d91fc.png

On 4/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Elroy Jetson said:

Surely it would have been done if it was simple, right?  

Lol, one would think. 

Economy

• 8/11/21 (actually received by CGC in May 2021, but lost in their warehouse until August 2021...)
  • 8 books
  • Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

These are all COVERLESS books...throw them in an NG slab and release them from prison

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 4/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, Stefan_W said:

I would guess there are two main reasons. First off, pre-1975 books have to be checked more closely for restorations and such and take a bit more time to grade than moderns. I mean, if the decision on the majority of books is where in the 9-range it falls the grading can go super fast. The second is the newer graders who are hired on would likely start at the modern tier and then work up to the older books once they build up experience. So new hiring will impact on the modern tiers first. Following along those lines, I would put the most experienced graders on the WK and Express tier books first since the stakes are highest there. 

I don't know any of that for sure, but it makes the most sense to me. 

It’s probably also MUCH easier to hire graders for Modern. Folks who have the capacity to consistently grade pre-1975 books can leverage that into dealing comics themselves at a substantially higher income than what CGC would pay. The opportunity cost for that person is much higher in taking the CGC job.

I can teach an employee to grade post-1990 comics in a matter of a couple weeks and have them be “decent” at it within a month. Because the flaws are always the same. It’s spine stresses, corner creases, cover bends, and fingerprints. Same flaws over and over, easy reference comparisons. How many, how severe, what combination, here’s the grade.

Take that same employee and start trying to teach them early bronze grading and it’s a parade of flaws they never once had to deal with before. Sub creases, drink rings, distribution spray, “extra art”, spine roll, missing corner pieces, loose staples, loose centerfolds, coupons cut out, foxing, tanning, missing gloss, cover soiling, the list goes on. All flaws that my employee didn’t see even once in grading four long boxes of Spawn comics.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:18 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Economy

• 8/11/21 (actually received by CGC in May 2021, but lost in their warehouse until August 2021...)
  • 8 books
  • Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

These are all COVERLESS books...throw them in an NG slab and release them from prison

Does this mean your 8/11 Economy moved to G/E/I?

Edited by Ryan.

2022-04-30_13-10-15.thumb.jpg.7592966b67f915e6602cdc81ed1985f0.jpg

Big drop for economy! :whatthe:

Unfortunately I'm at day 200 and was just at my LCS who confirmed still SFG :tonofbricks:

#wherethe:censored:aremyeconomybooks

On 4/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, universal soldier said:

2022-04-30_13-10-15.thumb.jpg.7592966b67f915e6602cdc81ed1985f0.jpg

Big drop for economy! :whatthe:

Unfortunately I'm at day 200 and was just at my LCS who confirmed still SFG :tonofbricks:

#wherethe:censored:aremyeconomybooks

I'll believe it when "I see" it lol no one has update, not to where that "looks to be true".....

Still thanks for posting, I'll keep looking up! And @Bird just because it is "the word!" :banana: