• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,038 posts in this topic

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

3/3: Received at CCS

4/27: GEI

4/28: G/QC

5/2: Shipped

5/7: Delivered

1 Chris Claremont Signature Series w/Pressing

3/17: Delivered to CGC

4/12: Received at CCS

5/18: SFG

6/3: GEI

2 Adam Kubert Signature Series w/Pressing

5/20: Delivered to CGC

5/24: Received at CCS

1 Jim Lee Signature Series w/Pressing

5/20: Delivered to CGC

5/24: Received at CCS

Well, with fingers crossed, I'm diving back into the madness. I've sent ten books off for Economy Fast Track.

How long is it taking CGC to open packages these days? I no longer see the nifty 'Opening packages received the week of...' blurb on the Services page.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, WilliamLunt said:

If it's a team effort and consensus must be reached, why the complaints about the hypothetical 'New Grader' who doesn't understand older modern tier books?

Anecdote: There's no way the last two submissions I've had were looked at by more than one person.  OR "multiple moderate spine stress" is now allowed in 9.6 (shrug)

On 6/3/2022 at 11:00 AM, Point Five said:

Well, with fingers crossed, I'm diving back into the madness. I've sent ten books off for Economy Fast Track.

How long is it taking CGC to open packages these days? I no longer see the nifty 'Opening packages received the week of...' blurb on the Services page.

Packages are opened within a couple of days so it is pretty fast at the moment. 

On 6/2/2022 at 11:27 PM, skybolt said:

Honestly, even when I get grader notes on some of these harshly graded submissions, some of them don't make any sense. I had a 90's Superman book receive an 8.5 grade with a "crushed spine" designation. I'm looking at the book and all I see is one very minor spine stress line that barely breaks color. Lately, I've also been receiving a bunch of 9.2's with light rippling to cover designations. Unfortunately, some of the 90's books were manufactured that way. 

I have noticed the same thing with some of these grader notes, just not making sense at all. I am going on vacation next week, but I am prepping another submission for the following week. I plan to crack open 2 of the books they sent back with super low grades to investigate and then I will be cleaning and pressing them again to send them in. It is baffling. I press and clean all of my books, even ones that are brand new and have gone up in value as I don't want to take a chance. Something has to give with these books from the 80s-90s, they can't keep grading these like this as it causes inconsistency.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, captainzombie said:

I have noticed the same thing with some of these grader notes, just not making sense at all. I am going on vacation next week, but I am prepping another submission for the following week. I plan to crack open 2 of the books they sent back with super low grades to investigate and then I will be cleaning and pressing them again to send them in. It is baffling. I press and clean all of my books, even ones that are brand new and have gone up in value as I don't want to take a chance. Something has to give with these books from the 80s-90s, they can't keep grading these like this as it causes inconsistency.

On average about 50% of books graded for each particular issue come back as 9.8 (this average is of course lower for black type covers). With these new graders that average is likely down to between 5 and 10%.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:24 AM, captainzombie said:

I am having the same issue. I have never received as many wide gaps in what I graded a book should receive compared to what my books got, or the amount of graders notes I am getting now. I have 90 books wrapping up today and had 50 books shipped last week. The 50 books were almost a total loss based on their grades, and I am sweating these books now. The biggest disappointment was a Secret Wars #8 that I am certain was a 9.8 that got a 9.6. I bet I am going to have to crack dozens of slabs. Extremely expensive, time consuming and potentially dangerous to the books. I am on a Facebook group that someone showed a group of modern books with gnarly spine stress that he swears was not present, and it's hard not to think there is not something to that due to how profound the defects were on such high-grade books. I am considering sending books of a specific value to a different tier now to get them away from this group of graders.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:09 PM, zoso99 said:

I am having the same issue. I have never received as many wide gaps in what I graded a book should receive compared to what my books got, or the amount of graders notes I am getting now. I have 90 books wrapping up today and had 50 books shipped last week. The 50 books were almost a total loss based on their grades, and I am sweating these books now. The biggest disappointment was a Secret Wars #8 that I am certain was a 9.8 that got a 9.6. I bet I am going to have to crack dozens of slabs. Extremely expensive, time consuming and potentially dangerous to the books. I am on a Facebook group that someone showed a group of modern books with gnarly spine stress that he swears was not present, and it's hard not to think there is not something to that due to how profound the defects were on such high-grade books. I am considering sending books of a specific value to a different tier now to get them away from this group of graders.

I've heard the same thing from many Youtubers opening their CGC boxes as well. They all want to switch to Economy for pre 2000 books. The issue I see with this is that as soon as CGC sees the pendulum swing and a huge glut of books are now being switched to economy grading, I could easily see them transfer some of these new graders to that tier. In recent posts, it appears these new graders have now migrated to fast track modern books as well.

Edited by skybolt

On 6/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, ak47po said:

This probably belongs in the economy tier thread, as I think your point is waiting a year for economy books to return home, after values on some books have rocketed  :Rocket:and our books aren't graded yet (thumbsu

I had already mentioned it in that thread, but hey, I didnt realize cgc had sent a reminder :(

On 6/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, I like pie said:

They are open on Saturdays now? I had 3 orders change status today. 

That's horrible.  It will make it 6 days a week I'm hitting refresh every 7 minutes.:cry:

you can get a browser addon to automatically refresh your browser tab for you :)

On 6/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, skybolt said:

It's interesting that 4 out of the 5 submissions received by CCS on 6/25/2021 just went into SFG. My 4/11/21 submission is still missing in action.

3 of these 4 submissions just went into G/E/I.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:47 PM, skybolt said:
On 6/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, skybolt said:

It's interesting that 4 out of the 5 submissions received by CCS on 6/25/2021 just went into SFG. My 4/11/21 submission is still missing in action.

3 of these 4 submissions just went into G/E/I.

what tier?