• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,110 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, captainzombie said:

At this point if they raise prices, how much is it going to cost us to slab one book now, like over $30 a book. LOL! They will start to chase people away.

I seriously doubt anyone will be scared away by paying over $30 per book. What will slow submission rates down is big dips in the market where people are no longer making money hand over fist on everything they send in. It looks like that type of market correction is already happening so we will see if TATs start to come down over the next few months. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, Stefan_W said:

I seriously doubt anyone will be scared away by paying over $30 per book. What will slow submission rates down is big dips in the market where people are no longer making money hand over fist on everything they send in. It looks like that type of market correction is already happening so we will see if TATs start to come down over the next few months. 

In the past I've submitted a lot of books that sell in the $50 to $75 range in 9.8. My thought process was that I'll keep the books in my collection for a bid and later sell for a small profit. If the cost to grade these type of books goes up to $30, I can imagine a lot of people staying away from submitting these type of books. Combine this with the slower market and inconsistent grading, I can certainly see a 50% drop in slow modern submissions (at least in the short term).

That being said, once the comic books are hot again in a few years, I can see the market adjusting to the new grading fees. For example, although 18-20 years ago it only cost me $15 to grade a book, I could barely sell them for $25-$30 back in the day. Nowadays I can easily get double these prices for these type of non key books.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:33 AM, Ninja0215 said:

Absolutely , this will chase people away. I can't do another price increase. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, Stefan_W said:

On 6/24/2022 at 8:40 AM, skybolt said:

In the past I've submitted a lot of books that sell in the $50 to $75 range in 9.8. My thought process was that I'll keep the books in my collection for a bid and later sell for a small profit. If the cost to grade these type of books goes up to $30, I can imagine a lot of people staying away from submitting these type of books. Combine this with the slower market and inconsistent grading, I can certainly see a 50% drop in slow modern submissions (at least in the short term).

That being said, once the comic books are hot again in a few years, I can see the market adjusting to the new grading fees. For example, although 18-20 years ago it only cost me $15 to grade a book, I could barely sell them for $25-$30 back in the day. Nowadays I can easily get double these prices for these type of non key books.

It will chase some people away just as skybolt and ninja mentions. You have those that are sending every single brand new book in thinking they will churn a profit which was one of the biggest issues of the last 2 years. It may not eliminate that crowd just yet, but give them 2-3 submissions where they barely make any money to no money and then their mind set will change on their strategy.

There is a possibility that it also slows down Fast Track Modern submission too. Right now it costs a total of $39 and with a price hike, we could be at $45 or even $48 hypothetically. Now people are going to really rethink is this book worth $45-50 in CGC costs and not including their shipping both ways.

Once you throw in the inconsistent grading and falling prices on books due to the potential recession + inflation on general necessities, this will eliminate some people from continuing to submit books. I know that some of you guys strictly send to CGC to sell. I am a mix between the two, I send enough books in where I cover my CGC costs with half of the books that I sell and the other half are for my PC. Then sometimes I end up getting PC books grade so much lower that I have to put them up for sale and then hunt down a better graded version of the book or a high grade of the book to play the game all over again.

Honestly this is bad as an overall business practice to keep raising prices every several months.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, captainzombie said:

It will chase some people away just as skybolt and ninja mentions. You have those that are sending every single brand new book in thinking they will churn a profit which was one of the biggest issues of the last 2 years. It may not eliminate that crowd just yet, but give them 2-3 submissions where they barely make any money to no money and then their mind set will change on their strategy.

There is a possibility that it also slows down Fast Track Modern submission too. Right now it costs a total of $39 and with a price hike, we could be at $45 or even $48 hypothetically. Now people are going to really rethink is this book worth $45-50 in CGC costs and not including their shipping both ways.

Once you throw in the inconsistent grading and falling prices on books due to the potential recession + inflation on general necessities, this will eliminate some people from continuing to submit books. I know that some of you guys strictly send to CGC to sell. I am a mix between the two, I send enough books in where I cover my CGC costs with half of the books that I sell and the other half are for my PC. Then sometimes I end up getting PC books grade so much lower that I have to put them up for sale and then hunt down a better graded version of the book or a high grade of the book to play the game all over again.

Honestly this is bad as an overall business practice to keep raising prices every several months.

Im already thinking if the next subs I have planned are worth it. I hope this doesn't come to pass. 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:13 AM, Ninja0215 said:

Im already thinking if the next subs I have planned are worth it. I hope this doesn't come to pass. 

If the 7/5 date is true, hopefully try to get those in before that. I've been working pressing and cleaning on another batch of books this past week so I will get those submitted next week before any possible price increase and then see how things go from there.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, captainzombie said:

If the 7/5 date is true, hopefully try to get those in before that. I've been working pressing and cleaning on another batch of books this past week so I will get those submitted next week before any possible price increase and then see how things go from there.

If it's only a few dollars then maybe I'm not really gonna turn my nose up at CGC: just be more mindful of what books I'm sending. Im pretty invested here so I don't want to send anywhere else. 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, captainzombie said:

I've been watching some CGC unboxing videos on Youtube, and this one person had 25/25 random modern books come back as 9.8 after prescreening. He was putting all the books up for auction later that day and said he's basically providing a community service since he'll break even on these books. I'm assuming he's doing this exercise for his Youtube channel, which barely had any views. I'm sure that after a couple more of these submissions he'll tire of the process and stop submitting books, especially if the price hike causes him to lose money.

Edited by skybolt

On 6/24/2022 at 9:22 AM, Ninja0215 said:

If it's only a few dollars then maybe I'm not really gonna turn my nose up at CGC: just be more mindful of what books I'm sending. Im pretty invested here so I don't want to send anywhere else. 

It is possible that they could be trying this as a test to slowdown some of the crappy amount of submissions that are coming through. They probably feel there are many books coming through that are worthless bogging things down. While they should not be telling someone what is worthwhile and what is worthless, we know at the end of the day people were submitting all kinds of cheap books to churn a profit. This has added to the backup.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, skybolt said:

I've been watching some CGC unboxing videos on Youtube, and this one person had 25/25 random modern books come back as 9.8 after prescreening. He was putting all the books up for auction later that day and said he's basically providing a community service since he'll break even on these books. I'm assuming he's doing this exercise for his Youtube channel, which barely had any views. I'm sure that after a couple more of these submissions he'll tire of the process and stop submitting books, especially if the price hike causes him to lose money.

I think I watched the same video. There was another guy that I was watching this past week, he has a smaller channel and after he submitted so many books he has to now place them up to sell because he has to pay for the CGC bills. A lot of people got into this trap where they thought they would be making all this money with lower end books (which some probably did at the start of covid) and do a YouTube channel showing all this awesome stuff they got in, but at the end of the day some can't afford to continue down the path they are going with these constant purchases/submissions.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, captainzombie said:

It is possible that they could be trying this as a test to slowdown some of the crappy amount of submissions that are coming through. They probably feel there are many books coming through that are worthless bogging things down. While they should not be telling someone what is worthwhile and what is worthless, we know at the end of the day people were submitting all kinds of cheap books to churn a profit. This has added to the backup.

This is a good point. For example, I work for a civil engineering firm that typically goes after large design fee expressway reconstruction type projects. At some point they figured out that winning local type work with limited design budgets was not worth it, especially when you consider having to hire additional staff and dealing with clients that want a Rolls Royce for Hyundai type money, it just made sense to consolidate and concentrate on the money making projects.

CGC is likely facing a similar situation. For them it may be a good decision to eliminate 25% of slow modern submissions that bog down the system and cause inconsistencies in long TAT's, QC, grading, pressing, etc., which leads to customer dissatisfaction. The last thing they want is for the large volume submitters to seek business elsewhere due to these issues.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, JollyComics said:

How come you are ahead of me?  Mine is 8/21/21 and is still SFG.

I really don't know.  I called maybe 3 weeks ago and they told me it would be 2 to 3 more months.   

I didn't complain,  I was very polite and I told them it was disappointing, but I've waited this long already.... then yesterday, boom. It showed up. 

Maybe I was rewarded for being polite? Or maybe it's all just random at this point? 

I imagine they hauled in a table full of 8/2021 books and someone took from the other end of the stack or something.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, KCOComics said:

I really don't know.  I called maybe 3 weeks ago and they told me it would be 2 to 3 more months.   

I didn't complain,  I was very polite and I told them it was disappointing, but I've waited this long already.... then yesterday, boom. It showed up. 

Maybe I was rewarded for being polite? Or maybe it's all just random at this point? 

On 6/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, Economy Joe said:

I imagine they hauled in a table full of 8/2021 books and someone took from the other end of the stack or something.

On 6/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, KCOComics said:

If it makes anyone "feel better", I've called and been polite, mine too were Oct 2021, but still SFG :cheers: 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:06 AM, Ninja0215 said:

Any  non key books won't come here then: not worth the aggravation. .I'll keep my key books coming here and maybe just keep those other books raw. .

made this same decision myself early 2021, though I'm still sitting on all a majority of these "key" books until I see some improvement. Recently shipped out 1x Express, 2x Standard, and 4x Economy FT after more than year of not submitting, will see how they do....

On 6/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, Aarrow108 said:

made this same decision myself early 2021, though I'm still sitting on all a majority of these "key" books until I see some improvement. Recently shipped out 1x Express, 2x Standard, and 4x Economy FT after more than year of not submitting, will see how they do....

I have a bunch of books I want to send that are not keys buy I would love to have in a cgc holder. This is a tough decision..  🤔