• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,094 posts in this topic

If the grade drops, fine. But how often does this happen? Once? I'm sure the person called and cried their hearts out to CGC.

So, just like the misshap of the SS program. One person's screw up, became everyone's burden.

Again, thank you.....

So, let's say it was your book - something super-hot like Walking Dead 1. You call in and are informed it was just graded a 9.8, and on the way to encapsulation. At this point you are seeing dollar signs everywhere you look, because this is big bucks we are now talking about.

But then later you call back in after encapsulation, and are informed it is now a 9.4 or 9.6 instead of the 9.8 you were originially told. So rather than be perceived as whining or crying your heart out, you'd just shrug and say, "Oh well - :censored: happens" without any complaint?

#1 They won't give out grades anymore in the "graded but not encapsulated" phase.

#2 I take pictures of my books---if they come back damaged you'll bet I'll be putting a phone call to them.

P.S. CGC has in fact damaged books DURING encapsulation and promptly called me and made good on the grade differential. I'm not sure if they do that these days.

If the grade drops, fine. But how often does this happen? Once? I'm sure the person called and cried their hearts out to CGC.

So, just like the misshap of the SS program. One person's screw up, became everyone's burden.

Again, thank you.....

So, let's say it was your book - something super-hot like Walking Dead 1. You call in and are informed it was just graded a 9.8, and on the way to encapsulation. At this point you are seeing dollar signs everywhere you look, because this is big bucks we are now talking about.

But then later you call back in after encapsulation, and are informed it is now a 9.4 or 9.6 instead of the 9.8 you were originially told. So rather than be perceived as whining or crying your heart out, you'd just shrug and say, "Oh well - :censored: happens" without any complaint?

#1 They won't give out grades anymore in the "graded but not encapsulated" phase.

#2 I take pictures of my books---if they come back damaged you'll bet I'll be putting a phone call to them.

P.S. CGC has in fact damaged books DURING encapsulation and promptly called me and made good on the grade differential. I'm not sure if they do that these days.

#1: joefriday.jpg You and your accurate facts. :frustrated:

#2: Smart man! And that's exactly what I would expect if it could be proven CGC accidentally damaged a book. And they do make things right. That's why we trust them over the competition - if you can call PGX "competition".

And Knowing is half the battle!

GIjoe.png

The rest is CGC's fault...and that guy that cried during the grading process.

FYI, I would never own a Walking Dead book just because I don't like the series.

I don't own it...so what's the fact?

I bought it to resell it??

Again, I don't own ANY Walking Dead series book.

You've once again masterminded a derailed point being made. Congrats.

Edited by GODOFTHUNDER

Yes and no.

I could understand if I did own a WD 1 and the grade dropped from 9.8 to 9.6, I'd be pretty upset.. and the comments that followed ticked me off.

But back to the basics here. This new grade thing with CGC is REALLY starting to go a little sour with me. Granted, I love the SS program and everything that it stands for. But these little rules that are coming to surface are just plain dumb.

It's like providing customer service, without the service.

Edited by GODOFTHUNDER

Yes and no.

I could understand if I did own a WD 1 and the grade dropped from 9.8 to 9.6, I'd be pretty upset.. and the comments that followed ticked me off.

You misunderstood.

Again, thank you.....

All I was doing was making it clear it's not someone whining unnecessarily to CGC if their book is damaged during the grading and encasement process. It's the right thing to do in addressing this if it can be proven the damage happened by CGC.

If anything, CGC would have to revist its handling process. Not kill the whole grading process.

Again, thank you.....

They won't give out the grades until the book has shipped now.

I've also had an entire group of books get damaged either at cgc or en route. Each book had the exact same top left corner crease that was not there when I sent them in. I had scans. Couldn't prove when it happened. I gave up trying.

But back to the basics here. This new grade thing with CGC is REALLY starting to go a little sour with me. Granted, I love the SS program and everything that it stands for. But these little rules that are coming to surface are just plain dumb.

About 4 months ago I had 22 books on a 30 book submission change grades from when they were "scheduled for grading" till they were actually graded. They were all cracked-out 9.8s that suddenly dropped to 9.6 yellow labels, but when the grades were finalized, went back up to 9.8.

Even though I'm by no means new to subbing books, I must admit I was a bit freaked when I got the preliminary grades by email - I ended up mentioning it to CGC at the next show I was at, and they told me they were training new modern graders and I shouldn't pay attention to the grades till the books were actually slabbed.

I realize that people, in general, are pissed at CGC for the long turnaround times and seem intent on complaining about every single thing that CGC changes, but how does it make sense to allow people access to grades until the books are finalized? There's zero benefit to CGC in doing so and it could very easily lead to confusion & ill-will amongst new submitters when they don't realize that the grades they're seeing aren't "real".

Yeah. I just had a grade change, too.

It should have been a 9.8 but they gave it a 9.2.

My mind is completely blown. The first book I've missed the grade on in a LONG time.

About 4 months ago I had 22 books on a 30 book submission change grades from when they were "scheduled for grading" till they were actually graded. They were all cracked-out 9.8s that suddenly dropped to 9.6 yellow labels, but when the grades were finalized, went back up to 9.8.

Even though I'm by no means new to subbing books, I must admit I was a bit freaked when I got the preliminary grades by email - I ended up mentioning it to CGC at the next show I was at, and they told me they were training new modern graders and I shouldn't pay attention to the grades till the books were actually slabbed.

I realize that people, in general, are pissed at CGC for the long turnaround times and seem intent on complaining about every single thing that CGC changes, but how does it make sense to allow people access to grades until the books are finalized? There's zero benefit to CGC in doing so and it could very easily lead to confusion & ill-will amongst new submitters when they don't realize that the grades they're seeing aren't "real".

I understand why CGC says the grades aren't available until they are final. Now they say that grades aren't final until in the shipped/safe status. The rub is simple. It is one more thing that for the customer that isn't quite as good as it used to be. Why - after years - for this change? A couple of months ago - and for years before - the grades were available when graded. Now they are not available until sometime after that. Days at least - sometimes pushing a week.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a deal. Personally, I really don't care. But let's not sugar coat it. People aren't just "complaining about every little thing CGC changes." Less is less - and this is a little less than customers used to get.

Edited by Tony S

I understand why CGC says the grades aren't available until they are final. Now they say that grades aren't final until in the shipped/safe status. The rub is simple. It is one more thing that for the customer that isn't quite as good as it used to be. Why - after years - for this change? A couple of months ago - and for years before - the grades were available when graded. Now they are not available until sometime after that. Days at least - sometimes pushing a week.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a deal. Personally, I really don't care. But let's not sugar coat it. People aren't just "complaining about every little thing CGC changes." Less is less - and this is a little less than customers used to get.

You're missing my point. Allowing people access to the grade prior to the grade being finalized has always been a bad idea - removing that option was a smart business move from CGC's side and should have been done years ago.

I've also had an entire group of books get damaged either at cgc or en route. Each book had the exact same top left corner crease that was not there when I sent them in. I had scans. Couldn't prove when it happened. I gave up trying.

Did you ship them to CGC in a priority envelope?

Anyone know how many official "business work days" we lost for the holidays when considering getting items CGCed?

According to the site, they were closed on Dec 24, 25, 31 and January 1st - so 4 business days.

Yeah. I just had a grade change, too.

It should have been a 9.8 but they gave it a 9.2.

My mind is completely blown. The first book I've missed the grade on in a LONG time.

I'm just now getting a chance to look at my books in hand tonight and I finally see the problem.

There were two books I didn't get my suspected grades on.

One was this 9.2 and there was another 9.6 that I was expecting 9.8's on both.

Both have spine damage that was not there when I sent the books to CGC.

I suppose they could have been damaged in shipping, but I can't understand how two books were damaged and not the others because they were all together.

Another option is that they were damaged when I packaged them to send to CGC. The odds of this are slim as I know how to pack books and have never had a problem before. I can't be convinced that this was the case. I really can't.

Whatever happened, on just these two books it cost me $400 and I'm not happy about it at all.

I know what I sent and what I'm holding in these slabs isn't what I sent. :censored: