• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,044 posts in this topic

It is all because of the backlog at encapsulation.

The part of the process that should be the easiest to speed up. :frustrated: No specialized skill is required here other than that used to run the machine. If they would invest in another machine or two this all goes away.

It is all because of the backlog at encapsulation.

The part of the process that should be the easiest to speed up. :frustrated: No specialized skill is required here other than that used to run the machine. If they would invest in another machine or two this all goes away.

More help is required as well. Like I said before if CGC would possibly hire part-time workers to help seasonally, it'll work well. With workers taking vacations and what-nots, it'll help the process move along quicker. There's still a lot of people out of work, or even bring on some high school kids after school and teach them and train them and pay them, so they can have money to buy comics. Then they could also have those comics they bought graded and slabbed. It's a win-win in my book.

Submission 1 via Desert Wind - Modern Fast Track

Received: 11/13

Verified: 11/20

Graded:12/2

Mad props to Molly @ CGC for helping me with this (Desert Wind didn't list my item as Fast Track and haven't returned any emails or Molly's voice mails)

Submission 2 via Desert Wind - Modern Fast Track

Received: 11/19

Verified: 11/20

Scheduled for Grading: 12/2

Encapsulation: 12/5

Submission 3 from Long Beach Comic Con - Modern Fast Track

Received: 11/26

Verified: 11/27

Submission 4 from Long Beach Comic Con - Modern Fast Track

Received: 11/27

Verified: 12/1

Submission 5 from Long Beach Comic Con - Modern Fast Track

Received: 11/27

Verified: 12/1

Submission 6 from Long Beach Comic Con - Fast Track CGC Press & Modern Fast Track

Received: 12/2

Can't believe it will take 3 weeks to press my books via Fast Track then it's off to CGC for grading which is going to take additional time. Where's JoeyPost when I need him!!

Edited by Praxis52

Results from both of my standard submissions, first was 5 books, second was 4, all silver/bronze age.

Received 10-29

VERIFIED 10-29

SCHEDULED FOR GRADING 11-14

GRADED 11-18

Graded/Quality Control 11-20

Shipped/safe 11-20

Received 11-25

Received 11-5

VERIFIED 11-6

Scheduled for grading 11-26

Graded 12-2

Grading/QC 12-6

Shipped/Safe 12-9

16 regular Modern books dropped off in person at Wizard World Nashville, invoice date Oct 23.

Marked Verified Nov 20.

Marked Scheduled for Grading on Dec 2

Marked Graded on Dec 3! I know it will sit on Quality Control for a month but still.

A non-fast track Economy order submitted the same day is still on "received."

Marked Grading/Quality Control on Dec 5

Marked Shipped/Safe on Dec 10. That looks like 31 business days or so, which is perfectly acceptable for a non-Fast Track book. :whee:

Unfortunately, I turned in an Economy order on the same day and it only just became Verified. :o

16 regular Modern books dropped off in person at Wizard World Nashville, invoice date Oct 23.

Marked Verified Nov 20.

Marked Graded on Dec 3! I know it will sit on Quality Control for a month but still.

Marked Shipped/Safe on Dec 10. That looks like 31 business days or so, which is perfectly acceptable for a non-Fast Track book. :whee:

Unfortunately, I turned in an Economy order on the same day and it only just became Verified. :o

This makes me wonder why I still have a Modern submission sitting in Grading/QC since 11/21. The way they process orders makes absolutely no sense. :facepalm:

Marked Verified Nov 20.

This makes me wonder why I still have a Modern submission sitting in Grading/QC since 11/21. The way they process orders makes absolutely no sense. :facepalm:

Give 'em a call and ask. I don't really know all about how the process goes. Maybe they wanted to do some extra checks for restoration? Maybe they wanted to look up some background data to determine whether there was color fading? Maybe there was significant disagreement over a manufacturing defect vs flaw? Maybe yours got put under the table? Maybe you have a lot of double-sized books and they have to reload the encapulation machine with fatty slabs?

Marked Verified Nov 20.

Give 'em a call and ask. I don't really know all about how the process goes. Maybe they wanted to do some extra checks for restoration? Maybe they wanted to look up some background data to determine whether there was color fading? Maybe there was significant disagreement over a manufacturing defect vs flaw? Maybe yours got put under the table? Maybe you have a lot of double-sized books and they have to reload the encapulation machine with fatty slabs?

If his got "put under the table", so did everyone else's. Your TAT is not typical and jumped several people who have posted in this thread (including myself: modern non-fast track received by CGC on 10/16). I'd say you got pretty lucky. :)

I wonder if they have some kind of "last in, first out" setup. Imagine there is a long table with nothing but longboxes on it. As invoices arrive, these longboxes are filled back-to-front. Once the table of longboxes gets filled, they start processing them, front-to-back.

I did drop these off in-person at a con, but I'd never heard that this affected TAT. I also have one double-sized book on my invoice, so it'll probably be in a fatty slab too.

Maybe they're debating 9.9s or 10s on some of your books but mine were not in contention?

(shrug)

I went to the con with a guy who also turned in an invoice of Moderns, and his are in QC. His invoice was only about a day or two behind mine all along, but he hasn't told me his have shipped yet.

Marked Verified Nov 20.

They will process some smaller orders out of turn if it helps them round out a full days work.

Lets say it's 4:45 and they still have two 30 book invoices that are next in line. If it takes a half an hour they are most likely not going to start on them. Instead they will grade a smaller 5-10 book invoice or a combination of 1-2 book invoices. Some of these may be submitted a week or so later, but they get processed first.

I wonder if they have some kind of "last in, first out" setup. Imagine there is a long table with nothing but longboxes on it. As invoices arrive, these longboxes are filled back-to-front. Once the table of longboxes gets filled, they start processing them, front-to-back.

I did drop these off in-person at a con, but I'd never heard that this affected TAT. I also have one double-sized book on my invoice, so it'll probably be in a fatty slab too.

Maybe they're debating 9.9s or 10s on some of your books but mine were not in contention?

(shrug)

I went to the con with a guy who also turned in an invoice of Moderns, and his are in QC. His invoice was only about a day or two behind mine all along, but he hasn't told me his have shipped yet.

Eh, would just like it shipped before Christmas if possible. I think this thread has firmly established that "first in, first out" definitely doesn't apply so you may have something with "last in, first out". lol

I submitted many modern books to CGC on multiple invoices during NYCC in October.

I did not use fast track.

The books all arrived at Comic Connect last week.

That is a light years faster than the last batch I submitted.