• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,135 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, Petroman said:

This is a really interesting point.  I've always wondered about exactly what CCS does for a "quick press".  If they are not using moisture, which I kinda doubt they are, then there is a very high chance that there will be reversions after the pressing processes.  Yes, for the book to revert to it's prior state this will take time, but with such long TATs it is certainly likely.  I've also been pressing books for a few years now and really a quick press will only work for a certain percentage of books.  Many defects will require some degree of moisture to press out, and also require time, meaning that you will likely need to repeat the moisture->pressing loop several times to achieve the desired result.

a 24-hour press is ideal. If I do a 12-hour press I like to cold press for 2-3 days. I seldom do a 4-hour press, mostly because I have seen books continue to improve beyond that amount of time under the pressure of the press by checking their progress. I would expect my press job to keep for the long haul, but I know that is not the case with some of these 6-9 month submissions that are getting quick presses. I agree about the humidity application as well. 

On 5/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, Petroman said:

This is a really interesting point.  I've always wondered about exactly what CCS does for a "quick press".  If they are not using moisture, which I kinda doubt they are, then there is a very high chance that there will be reversions after the pressing processes.  Yes, for the book to revert to it's prior state this will take time, but with such long TATs it is certainly likely.  I've also been pressing books for a few years now and really a quick press will only work for a certain percentage of books.  Many defects will require some degree of moisture to press out, and also require time, meaning that you will likely need to repeat the moisture->pressing loop several times to achieve the desired result.

The only issue with this is that CGC typically grades CCS pressed books within 2 to 4 weeks of being pressed no matter what the current grading turnaround times are. I think this could be a more relevant issue for some inexperienced 3rd party pressers though.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:20 AM, skybolt said:

The only issue with this is that CGC typically grades CCS pressed books within 2 to 4 weeks of being pressed no matter what the current grading turnaround times are. I think this could be a more relevant issue for some inexperienced 3rd party pressers though.

That’s weird because they charged for CCS first week of March when my books moved from Received by CCS to In Process at CCS and here we are in May and still in Received at CGC status… this is for several submission types, Modern, Modern Magazine, etc. All would seem to have been at CGC beyond 4 weeks now with no movement.

If you’re on FT, WT, Express or an in-house signing yeah, you’re going to get it graded quickly after CCS but the slow track stuff isn’t moving like that.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, wiparker824 said:

That’s weird because they charged for CCS first week of March when my books moved from Received by CCS to In Process at CCS and here we are in May and still in Received at CGC status… this is for several submission types, Modern, Modern Magazine, etc. All would seem to have been at CGC beyond 4 weeks now with no movement.

If you’re on FT, WT, Express or an in-house signing yeah, you’re going to get it graded quickly after CCS but the slow track stuff isn’t moving like that.

In process at CCS means very little. It's sort of like SFG in grading. Once the books get actually pressed they move to CGC shortly and are entered into the system. Once that happens they are typically graded within 2 to 4 weeks.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, skybolt said:

Also an interesting point.  So if they didn't fast-track the post-CCS books through grading then they might have major reversions prior to grading thereby nullifying the effects of the quick press (thus making the service potentially worthless).  So press it and grade it quick so that it can get a higher grade, then let it possibly revert to a lower grade when slabbed.  Seems like gaming the system a bit to me.  But then again, I have always felt that the grading of pressable defects has been way too harsh.  Things like "bends" and "indents" are far more benign than color breaking spine ticks or creases, yet they can have major impact on grades, especially in the 9.0+ range.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, Petroman said:

Also an interesting point.  So if they didn't fast-track the post-CCS books through grading then they might have major reversions prior to grading thereby nullifying the effects of the quick press (thus making the service potentially worthless).  So press it and grade it quick so that it can get a higher grade, then let it possibly revert to a lower grade when slabbed.  Seems like gaming the system a bit to me.  But then again, I have always felt that the grading of pressable defects has been way too harsh.  Things like "bends" and "indents" are far more benign than color breaking spine ticks or creases, yet they can have major impact on grades, especially in the 9.0+ range.

I get your point, but I have dozens of CCS quick pressed books in my collection that I personally sent in it be pressed, and they're still in their perfectly post pressed condition 3 or 4 years later. I haven't noticed any reversion. I will say that sometimes the quick press will not get the initial bend out, which is frustrating.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, skybolt said:

In process at CCS means very little. It's sort of like SFG in grading. Once the books get actually pressed they move to CGC shortly and are entered into the system. Once that happens they are typically graded within 2 to 4 weeks.

I agree with you, because once you see your books hit SFG who knows how long they can sit in that status. I would think on their end they have an estimated date as to when your books will go to Grading. In a perfect world, they should be more transparent and place an ETA with some wiggle room on their end once you hit the SFG stage. That way the customer on the other end has some kind of an idea as to when their book(s) will go to grading.