• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,993 posts in this topic

It seems that they have swept Jan and Feb off the list, so you can't work backwards, but you can see the current and future months' con Fridays on CGC's events page. Going forward, it looks like damn near every Friday will be a con Friday, which is bad for TAT (not even taking the massive new con volume into the equation). :sick:

Is it every con, or just the ones with onsite grading? The graders and encapsulaters would not be going to a show where they just have a presence to witness signatures and take in books that will go back to Sarasota. I know a number of collectors that go to such shows just so that don't have to ship their books to CGC to submit.

If you submit even a few times a year a personal FedEx account is free to sign up for and very easy to use.

Oh great tip! Just checked it out. Definitely makes sense. Thanks.

No worries! It is really useful to have, and for free there is no reason not to get one. In the box from the CGC form pictured below just fill out the bottom section about the self-insured FedEx account and FedEx will ship the books and bill your credit card. I like the fact that I know exactly what it costs to ship, rather than paying CGC (or anyone else, for that matter) a flat rate to ship. Piece of cake!

Picture1.jpg

Have you found much savings in what you pay directly to Fedex, and what CGC Charges?

If you submit even a few times a year a personal FedEx account is free to sign up for and very easy to use.

No worries! It is really useful to have, and for free there is no reason not to get one. In the box from the CGC form pictured below just fill out the bottom section about the self-insured FedEx account and FedEx will ship the books and bill your credit card. I like the fact that I know exactly what it costs to ship, rather than paying CGC (or anyone else, for that matter) a flat rate to ship. Piece of cake!

Picture1.jpg

Have you found much savings in what you pay directly to Fedex, and what CGC Charges?

The savings are quite substantial. 17 books worth 2K shipped back to me by CGC registered mail would be $69. Fedex ground (Make CERTAIN you specify GROUND) was $17. You don't have do this very many times before you have paid the premium on your private insurance. Plus you have the insurance against fire, theft, etc on your collection or inventory.

If you search the web, you can also find a couple of places that sell one time insurance on a particular shipment. Timing is everything. You have to purchase the insurance within a day or two of the package being shipped.

Or you can cross your fingers and do without insurance. FedEx's loss rate is very low, which is why the private insurance is inexpensive. I won't do that, but it is an option.

Edited by Tony S

Picture1.jpg

The savings are quite substantial. 17 books worth 2K shipped back to me by CGC registered mail would be $69. Fedex ground (Make CERTAIN you specify GROUND) was $17. You don't have do this very many times before you have paid the premium on your private insurance. Plus you have the insurance against fire, theft, etc on your collection or inventory.

If you search the web, you can also find a couple of places that sell one time insurance on a particular shipment. Timing is everything. You have to purchase the insurance within a day or two of the package being shipped.

Or you can cross your fingers and do without insurance. FedEx's loss rate is very low, which is why the private insurance is inexpensive. I won't do that, but it is an option.

I'll explore the rates with a Fedex account.

The shipping rates for stuff coming back to Canada at CGC's cost are... :eek:

Good luck. I'm not sure this (FedEx account) is going to help much for CGC customers outside the USA. CGC already only ships FedEx for orders outside the USA. And as has been noted on the boards many times, there is no inexpensive shipping method to other countries (from USA). USPS is consistently the least expensive option for international shipments originating in the USA.

Picture1.jpg

I wouldn't recommend Fedex as they will likely ding you for customs/brokerage/fedexfee/made you up fee etc. USPS was always my friend till I had em shipped to a US address.

It seems that they have swept Jan and Feb off the list, so you can't work backwards, but you can see the current and future months' con Fridays on CGC's events page. Going forward, it looks like damn near every Friday will be a con Friday, which is bad for TAT (not even taking the massive new con volume into the equation). :sick:

Obviously the best thing to do when your business has ridiculous turn around times that still can't be met is to attend 100 conventions and try to get more books to grade. Maybe skip a convention or two to catch up? I am amazed that a legit competitor has not tried to capitalize on this. Only Vault and PGX, and they are either a bunch of hacks or refuse to tell anyone who they are. Maybe PSA will see an opportunity.

Obviously the best thing to do when your business has ridiculous turn around times that still can't be met is to attend 100 conventions and try to get more books to grade. Maybe skip a convention or two to catch up? I am amazed that a legit competitor has not tried to capitalize on this. Only Vault and PGX, and they are either a bunch of hacks or refuse to tell anyone who they are. Maybe PSA will see an opportunity.

Maybe not send everyone to Ecc. Was there onsite at Ecc this year? If not, why send most everyone there?

Maybe not send everyone to Ecc. Was there onsite at Ecc this year? If not, why send most everyone there?

They didn't send everyone to ECCC ... it was the usual con crew (Bree, Andrew, Mike, Cynthia from CCS) + Paul & Shawn.

Coupon submission

-Received - 10 March

-Verified - 11 March

-Scheduled for Grading - 25 March

-Graded - 28 March

-QC - 31 March

-Shipped - 01 April(not April fools joke)

All 9.8s

jealous, mine have been in the QC phase for about 4 or 5 days now. I stopped keeping track haha

Coupon submission

-Received - 10 March

-Verified - 11 March

-Scheduled for Grading - 25 March

-Graded - 28 March

-QC - 31 March

-Shipped - 01 April(not April fools joke)

All 9.8s

jealous, mine have been in the QC phase for about 4 or 5 days now. I stopped keeping track haha

Good luck. I guess not counting any con days this went 16 business days from received to shipping. So not too bad.

update 4/1/14

MFT #1 - rec ? > ver 2/18 > sch 2/27 > grd 2/28 > grd/QC 3/12 > shipped 3/13

MFT #2 - rec 2/24 > ver 2/26 > sch 3/5 > grd 3/10 > grd/QC 3/18 > shipped 3/20

Modern - received 2/24 > verified 2/26>scheduled for grading 3/19>graded 4/1

I spoke too soon today, marked shipped/safe :)

Slightly disappointed with the Avengers 57 I sent in, but overall I'm pretty happy with the other three. (the 57 came back an 8)

first submission so I'm definitely learning a lot!

Well, really, the best thing to do from the business standpoint would be to go to as many cons as possible and drum up more business. You've already been paid for the business you have in the queue, you only get paid more if you get new business. Books already in the process are a captive audience that don't generate new income. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

What I'm not clear on is why con Fridays don't count towards TATs. Except in the case of on-site grading, where it would make sense that they couldn't do any grading in Sarasota, a skeleton crew being sent to a con to man a booth shouldn't hold up progress on the queue. That is, unless I've missed something. The con Friday stipulation seems to be an excuse to get a free business day that doesn't count towards their self-measured TATs (that are rarely accurate anyway).

In other news, my 3/25 value sub is still stuck on received.

Well, really, the best thing to do from the business standpoint would be to go to as many cons as possible and drum up more business. You've already been paid for the business you have in the queue, you only get paid more if you get new business. Books already in the process are a captive audience that don't generate new income. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

What I'm not clear on is why con Fridays don't count towards TATs. Except in the case of on-site grading, where it would make sense that they couldn't do any grading in Sarasota, a skeleton crew being sent to a con to man a booth shouldn't hold up progress on the queue. That is, unless I've missed something. The con Friday stipulation seems to be an excuse to get a free business day that doesn't count towards their self-measured TATs (that are rarely accurate anyway).

In other news, my 3/25 value sub is still stuck on received.

What you are describing is the best thing to do for profit not business. Keeping customers is part of business. They can get away with it because there is no competition (real competition anyway).