• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,949 posts in this topic

At least my customers are loving the books that did get slabbed because they are flawless.  Even the slightest spine tick and it's downgraded to a 9.6.  Seems to me there is 10 and 9.9 grades for flawless books and 9.8 should be able to have 1 minor spine tick.

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

At least my customers are loving the books that did get slabbed because they are flawless.  Even the slightest spine tick and it's downgraded to a 9.6.  Seems to me there is 10 and 9.9 grades for flawless books and 9.8 should be able to have 1 minor spine tick.

That's what I was thinking, but didn't have the eloquence to say it. It's like 9.8 is the top and they don't think that there is anything after that. This is the way it was last year IMO around this time during the "case scandal". I submitted around this time last year like 10 books and all of them came back 9.6 with no 9.8 and they all looked nice.

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's what I was thinking, but didn't have the eloquence to say it. It's like 9.8 is the top and they don't think that there is anything after that. This is the way it was last year IMO around this time during the "case scandal". I submitted around this time last year like 10 books and all of them came back 9.6 with no 9.8 and they all looked nice.

If you can believe it they seem to be even tighter now then this time last year (from what I am seeing come back)

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

If you can believe it they seem to be even tighter now then this time last year (from what I am seeing come back)

Around December wasn't bad, same with January IMO. Amazing what a couple of months can do.

21 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm tempted to take all the 9.8 rejects from my last batch and sub them to others and see how many come back 9.8.  There is being tight to make a point and then there is just being crazy.

I'm thinking that since they hired new graders, the new graders are being super tight to impress their manager to the point that they are making some things up. 

17 minutes ago, youmechooz said:

I'm thinking that since they hired new graders, the new graders are being super tight to impress their manager to the point that they are making some things up. 

How does CGC decide what graders get which type of books?  Do all the graders just get whatever comes up next? Are certain graders used for different ages? Does the potential value of the book affect who they have grade it?

1 hour ago, drotto said:

How does CGC decide what graders get which type of books?  Do all the graders just get whatever comes up next? Are certain graders used for different ages? Does the potential value of the book affect who they have grade it?

I thought my economy submission was also very tight compared to last year on top of the modern submission.  The whole company seems to have adopted the MyComicShop grading (stolen from someone else).

Edited by 1Cool

26 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I thought me economy submission was also very tight compared to last year on top of the modern submission.  The whole company seems to have adopted the MyComicShop grading (stolen from someone else).

I licked your post.

I submitted 10 moderns on Thursday (3/9) via online form, mailed them out on Friday (3/10).  They were received on Monday (3/13).  I got an email confirming receipt and verification the next day.

Received - 03/13/2017

Verified/Invoiced - 03/14/2017

Graded - 03/24/2017

Graded/Quality Control - 03/28/2017

Shipped/Safe - 03/30/2017

The grades were pretty much what I hoped for in each case.

41 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

I submitted 10 moderns on Thursday (3/9) via online form, mailed them out on Friday (3/10).  They were received on Monday (3/13).  I got an email confirming receipt and verification the next day.

Received - 03/13/2017

Verified/Invoiced - 03/14/2017

Graded - 03/24/2017

Graded/Quality Control - 03/28/2017

Shipped/Safe - 03/30/2017

The grades were pretty much what I hoped for in each case.

Where they pressed?

On 3/27/2017 at 2:36 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Is it me or is CGC being super tight on grading moderns

its been silly the last 2 subs

Ive seen this. Absolutely. Ive had numerous books that were previously slabbed 9.8 that I got signed come back as 9.6. Some had no grading notes. Im just about to get a Batman 608 RRP 9.6 signed by Jim Lee this weekend. Im scared S'less.

I think anything less then a 9.8 should have a graders note. Even if its one line. Nice for us to know since we are paying for the grade. Im sure there is a reason that they gave it a 9.6 and not just a gut feeling. Probably documented on their side I would think. Why can't we see it?

I was just about ready to finally submit a few books to CGC after the new slab fiasco last year. But between this and review of the new slabs, probably not the best idea. I guess I will wait for onsite grading for stuff I want to sell.

58 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I was just about ready to finally submit a few books to CGC after the new slab fiasco last year. But between this and review of the new slabs, probably not the best idea. I guess I will wait for onsite grading for stuff I want to sell.

I would wait.  I can echo the comments about modern grading.  My recent sub had 3 (yes, 3!) books with a note of a stain.  This includes a Batman Adventures #12 that I subbed and got a 9.6.  Had a note of a stain.  I was mad at myself, cracked it and examined it.  Didn't see anything even though I was checking it microscopically.  Oh well, packed it up and sent it back with another sub.  Same note again.  This time 2 other books (9.6 and 9.4) had a note of a stain.  Whatever.  I know other people subbing books, real pros (people who can predict books much better than 1), getting books back with a note of a stain or fingerprint.  Needless to say they didn't submit books with fingerprints or stains that were unknown.  It's fracking stupid. 

8 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I think anything less then a 9.8 should have a graders note. Even if its one line. Nice for us to know since we are paying for the grade. Im sure there is a reason that they gave it a 9.6 and not just a gut feeling. Probably documented on their side I would think. Why can't we see it?

I definitely have some 9.8's that have like 1 small spine ticks, or a very mild corner issue.  It has always been my understanding that 9.8 was allowed to have 1 maybe 2 VERY minor defects. Otherwise what is a 9.9 or 10.

I did get back some books from NYCC last year for SS, and the grading seemed inconsistent. I got one graded 9.6, that I thought was a 9.2 at best, and several low 9' s as well as two 8.5's that I knew had a corner bend (they did get pressed), that I thought after pressing should have been 9.2 or 9.4. So overall the grading does seem stricture,  but also inconsistent.