• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,965 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Transplant said:

I would wait.  I can echo the comments about modern grading.  My recent sub had 3 (yes, 3!) books with a note of a stain.  This includes a Batman Adventures #12 that I subbed and got a 9.6.  Had a note of a stain.  I was mad at myself, cracked it and examined it.  Didn't see anything even though I was checking it microscopically.  Oh well, packed it up and sent it back with another sub.  Same note again.  This time 2 other books (9.6 and 9.4) had a note of a stain.  Whatever.  I know other people subbing books, real pros (people who can predict books much better than 1), getting books back with a note of a stain or fingerprint.  Needless to say they didn't submit books with fingerprints or stains that were unknown.  It's fracking stupid. 

Between the new slabs and the wild inconsistency of grading I stopped subbing, I figured it would be better by now. 2015 my accuracy for 9.8 was 90% or better. 2016 it dropped to 80% which is insane, it doesn't sound much better right now TBH.

3 hours ago, Transplant said:

I would wait.  I can echo the comments about modern grading.  My recent sub had 3 (yes, 3!) books with a note of a stain.  This includes a Batman Adventures #12 that I subbed and got a 9.6.  Had a note of a stain.  I was mad at myself, cracked it and examined it.  Didn't see anything even though I was checking it microscopically.  Oh well, packed it up and sent it back with another sub.  Same note again.  This time 2 other books (9.6 and 9.4) had a note of a stain.  Whatever.  I know other people subbing books, real pros (people who can predict books much better than 1), getting books back with a note of a stain or fingerprint.  Needless to say they didn't submit books with fingerprints or stains that were unknown.  It's fracking stupid. 

had a book come back recently that graders notes said had a fingerprint that I can't for the life of me find.

20 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

No pressing.

All moderns and no fast tracking.

Thanks.  Just wondering since it does seem like CGC is checking for tiny signs of "bad" pressing and hitting books hard if they have the signs.

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've had modern fast track books move and stay stuck at grading/QA since Monday. Seems to be slowing down.

so while it still shows graded/qa on the CGC site, the books arrived today (books shipped on 3/28)

On 3/31/2017 at 9:27 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I had subbed 7 books in my life until two weeks ago. In the last two weeks, I've dropped 28 books on them at shows. Seems like I picked a terrible time to hand over 26 moderns, especially considering I really have no idea what I'm doing!!

Let us know how it goes!

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

8.5 - better than I thought. 

4.5 - about what I expected.

Both were pressed by Al from Basement Comics. 

Nice.  Let us know how the rest go.

Just had a Walkthru done today on ASM 14 SS signed Stan Lee at ECCC. Pressed by CCS before, grade went from 9.0 to 9.2. Received today at CGC (from CCS), Shipped today. 

Suffice to say, happy day for me.

Edited by kevhtx

Mailed 4 books standard on 3/28, they entered them on 4/30 and I got them today. :whatthe:

I think they are making up for the years it took me a month to get standard books.

I have to edit this, they actually went in the week before. One book was in a PGX slab and a board friend who was visiting was kind enough to unslab it for me. I asked my husband when we saw this friend and he said last Monday, and he was correct, but we also saw him the week before as well, and that's when he deslabbed the book.

STILL pretty quick.,

Edited by skypinkblu

7 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Mailed 4 books standard on 3/28, they entered them on 4/30 and I got them today. :whatthe:

I think they are making up for the years it took me a month to get standard books.

:whatthe: That's like what 5 days! I'm sure in a year or two  we'll look back and reminisce about these fast TATs! :preach:

On 3/29/2017 at 0:32 PM, 1Cool said:

At least my customers are loving the books that did get slabbed because they are flawless.  Even the slightest spine tick and it's downgraded to a 9.6.  Seems to me there is 10 and 9.9 grades for flawless books and 9.8 should be able to have 1 minor spine tick.

I had a 2 people show me slabs they got back with in the last 6 months at Wondercon  this past weekend.  Probably about 20 or so.  Only one I said he should re-sub.  They missed light fingerprints, rust on staples, and other hidden defects that most casual submitters miss.  Now I am not saying you can't grade, but I am for sure saying the reason you aren't getting 9.8's isn't though because of 1 small/minor stress line.  That has never happened to me in the history of subbing to CGC.  Last week for example my grades on a big ticket FT Modern invoice was business as usual. (shrug)  Grades were as expected.  

Are you sure you aren't missing one other flaw in conjunction with that 1 stress line to bring the grade down to 9.6?

Edited by nWo_22