• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who will be following the Apple announcement today?

269 posts in this topic

Here's a visual size comparison of the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 that looks like it's scaled correctly relative to each other. They're both tough to fit in your pocket while sitting down, and I'm not sure the difference is great enough to prevent one-handed operation, but I don't really know, I don't use any mobile device that way.

samsung-s3-vs-iphone-5-2.jpgnew-iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-comparison.jpg

I feel like an old cynic here, and must be one of the few whose well beyond having their fill with the hype-cycle's following "next big thing" announcements like this. Give me practical form and function at the right price, and that's all I need. Let the consumer decide what works best for them, and forget the over-analysis which simply feeds the short sellers and specs. Personally, I can't click the x in the browser window fast enough as soon as I see the word Apple, Google or Samsung mentioned, and that's saying something as I think each one of these companies have demonstrated greatness in their own respective way, but all this hype over something that is supposed to send/receive calls and emails is just wrong. Surfing is best left to a middleware device (tablet/netbook) or full-blown computing station. 2c

The 'next big thing' is getting incrementally smaller with each cycle.

One handed operation happens more than you think...

There are things you should NOT do like texting while driving

But generally, certain things require one handed operation.

Holding your shopping bag or luggage roller.

Holding a baby or stroller

Walking a pet.

Etc.

To use the iPhone notification screen requires a swipe from the top of the screen. I don't know if that's as easy with the new larger screen.

To unlock requires a horizontal swipe with the thumb usually. Then you hopefully enter an UNLOCK code.

That's usually one handed I've found.

The thing with larger smartphones is that while you may still be able to use it one handed, you are also more likely to drop it or not have as good a grip on it.

Walking a pet.

Etc.

I use them in all of those situations without typing anything. The only situations I am regularly in that I can't use voice recognition are noisy restaurants. I don't use public transportation, but if I did I foresee issues with voice recognition. I expect that a Bluetooth headset would solve the problem, but I still only use those for talking on the phone since the situations where voice recognition isn't feasible are uncommon for me.

The only situations I am regularly in that I can't use voice recognition are noisy restaurants.

Oh wait, one other--in the bathroom at work. :blush: No need to cause my co-workers to look under the stall to see who's in there with me. :eek:

Walking a pet.

Etc.

I use them in all of those situations without typing anything. The only situations I am regularly in that I can't use voice recognition are noisy restaurants. I don't use public transportation, but if I did I foresee issues with voice recognition. I expect that a Bluetooth headset would solve the problem, but I still only use those for talking on the phone since the situations where voice recognition isn't feasible are uncommon for me.

I have to unlock my phone every time I use it. That involves a swipe and then typing the unlock code. I hope you do too. Otherwise, I hope you don't receive personal email on it.

Think about this:

You may have apps for a bank or Amazon or Ebay. Now say you lose your iphone or it gets stolen. What does the Thief do?

He goes to those sites and he clicks on FORGOT MY PASSWORD.

What happens then?

They send a password reset link to your PERSONAL EMAIL which he conveniently has. (He also deletes it before you read it on your desktop email program since he has your phone.)

That is... after he resets your password and now has access to your account.

NOTE: Many sites now have security questions and visual questions to get around that... but many sites do not.

I have to unlock my phone every time I use it. That involves a swipe and then typing the unlock code. I hope you do too. Otherwise, I hope you don't receive personal email on it.

I use voice recognition for that, too. I'm empowering you people to get into my phone if you stalk me and obtain it, but I've trained my phone to respond to the command "Rumpelstiltskin" to unlock itself and go into a mode to accept voice commands (using the Samsung "S-Voice" software, which I suppose I'll replace with "Google Now" later this month when they're supposed to offer me Android 4.1). You may have to emulate my slightly Southern twang to duplicate my activation command--I'm not sure how flexible it is to accents. I could use the Android's face recognition software as well...I used to, but my girlfriend asked me to stop so she can get in. She hasn't needed it since I put "Rumpelstiltskin" on it, but if it doesn't accept her voice, I may be able to train it on both of ours, not sure yet.

There's no need to type a code with Android. If the other things don't work, you can do a swipe pattern as a backup. If you use 8 dots, that yields a total of over 3 million pattern permutations. The seven dots in the pic below has around 600 thousand permutations.

o65.jpg

Are video games really a selling feature for a smart phone? I've never been a vid game guy so I have no idea.

They're the same as everything else on such a small screen--better than nothing on the go, but they don't replace a full-sized display when you're at home and don't need mobility. I enjoy "Angry Birds" while on long trips.

I have Doom and Wolfenstein on iPad.  Uses a circular cursor which is too small for my oversized male paws to control with any degree of sensitivity.  Too often I just made the gun go around in a circle. I also found it quite headache and nausea inducing at times.  Terrible compared to console gaming.

Are video games really a selling feature for a smart phone? I've never been a vid game guy so I have no idea.

They're the same as everything else on such a small screen--better than nothing on the go, but they don't replace a full-sized display when you're at home and don't need mobility. I enjoy "Angry Birds" while on long trips.

I have Doom and Wolfenstein on iPad.  Uses a circular cursor which is too small for my oversized male paws to control with any degree of sensitivity.  Too often I just made the gun go around in a circle. I also found it quite headache and nausea inducing at times.  Terrible compared to console gaming.

I'm a HUGE power gamer. I don't take iPad or smartphone gaming seriously...I'd never fail to use a computer or console at home. The mobile devices are fun on the go though.

My girlfriend and I enjoy iPad chess on trips where neither of us are driving. We'll occasionally play that at the dinner table as well.

:facepalm:Even with the adapter, the 5 won't pass analog audio to an old connector device. :facepalm:

EDIT: Cnet is suggesting that it may be incompatible for 1) instances where another device is controlling the iPod features: skip, play, pause, etc.; and 2) the video out function. But they're also quoting an unnamed Apple rep saying ""speaker docks and in-car capabilities won't be affected".

NOBODY likes that new connector. It won't matter in a few years once there's lots of support for the new one, but for the next year or so, it's purely a pain in the to be incompatible with every other Apple device.

NOBODY likes that new connector. It won't matter in a few years once there's lots of support for the new one, but for the next year or so, it's purely a pain in the to be incompatible with every other Apple device.

While it will be a pain in the for all existing connections, Apple did use the same connector for over 10 years. It was time to update it.

It's a hassle to buy an adapter but I don't really mind. The only thing I care about is keeping my car's interoperability with the new iPhone I'll be buying. We shall see.

It was time to update it.

Why? Who cares? So it was an inch wide and only fit in one direction...why does the smaller size and reversibility much matter?

A few things to consider...

Technology has advanced many times in the 10 years since that adapter was created. Data and speeds are much better now.

Also, the previous adapter took up a lot of room at the bottom of the phone. WIth the new design they were able to make things smaller and thinner for the phone.

Lastly, we don't use the adapter much anymore to transfer data to the iPhone as many things are done wirelessly now.

Sure, they could have left it alone but all phone companies change adapters.

Didn't Blackberry change their charger size a few years ago. It was thick then they made some thin version that looks like the older version.

It does stink to have to use a new adapter but I see why they upgraded it for faster speeds and smaller real-estate.

I really think they should have gone with the Micro-USB standard... but even that has multiple connectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Mini_and_Micro_connectors

The Micro-USB connector was announced by the USB-IF on 4 January 2007.[30] The Mini-A connector and the Mini-AB receptacle connector were deprecated on 23 May 2007.[31] While many currently available devices and cables still use Mini plugs, the newer Micro connectors are being widely adopted and as of December 2010, they are the most widely used. The thinner micro connectors are intended to replace the Mini plugs in new devices including smartphones, personal digital assistants, and cameras. The Micro plug design is rated for at least 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles which is significantly more than the Mini plug design.[32] It is also designed to reduce the mechanical wear on the device; instead the easier-to-replace cable is designed to bear the mechanical wear of connection and disconnection. The Universal Serial Bus Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification details the mechanical characteristics of Micro-A plugs, Micro-AB receptacles, and Micro-B plugs and receptacles,[32] along with a Standard-A receptacle to Micro-A plug adapter.

I really think they should have gone with the Micro-USB standard... but even that has multiple connectors.

Oh my GOD, I was assuming that they did go with that. So this is a completely proprietary adapter? doh! If that thing is proprietary, they did NOT make that change for the progressive reasons we may assume--they did it for selfish reasons. :eyeroll:

Oh my GOD, I was assuming that they did go with that. So this is a completely proprietary adapter? doh! If that thing is proprietary, they did NOT make that change for the progressive reasons we may assume--they did it for selfish reasons. :eyeroll:

On this I agree. It's why they almost died in the 1990's as a computer company.

Totally Proprietary.