• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fourcolorcomics.com?

18 posts in this topic

I have bought from him in the past (2-6 years ago). His grading was fair (even before the CGC days). Nice guy, I would trust his grading and service. He hasn't updated his inventory lately, and I haven't seen him at any shows either.

I haven't done business since the late 80's or early 90's. Found the grading to be anyware from accurate to a grade or so below. One transaction turned me off of them. Badly trimmed book sold as NM/MT and a black cover with heavy bleed-through Magic Marker cover touch, also sold as NM/MT. As I was away for a while when the books arrived, upon my return and opening them, and discovering the problems, called right away. Since over 30 days had passed no refund or credit. And his reason for not noticing was "on inexpensive books I don't really look that carefully". Cost me about $500 for the two books.

As I say - this was late 80's/early 90's - but I have had no desire to do any more biz with them.

As I was away for a while when the books arrived

Sorry POV, but that's your fault. 30 days is long enough to allow for a return of a book. I don't buy $500 worth of books and not be around to inspect them for a month! Man, you must be loaded!

Sorry POV, but that's your fault. 30 days is long enough to allow for a return of a book. I don't buy $500 worth of books and not be around to inspect them for a month! Man, you must be loaded!

The lack of credit or refund is not my complaint . My complaint, and the reason I sneer in disdain when I see one of his ads, is NOT the lack of credit or refund. It is the completely 893censored-thumb.gifing 893censored-thumb.gifing tripe about not looking very carefully at "inexpensive books." AND having the gall to grade then that high without looking very carefully. It is, and was even back then, totally inexcusable.

For the record - my absence was last minute and unavoidable. Not something I make a habit of doing (buying books then leaving before they show up).

In 2000 I bought a Shield-Wizard #10 that they graded a VG/Fine. I thought it was over graded, called them, and they took it back without any hassle whatsoever and refunded my money. Unlike Met, they didn't attempt to make me feel like I was wasting their time by calling them either.

In 2003 I bought a Blue Ribbon Comics #1 that they graded G/VG. The book was much nicer in person; VG/VG+ with almost white pages, not common for the first MLJ book printed in 1939. I called them back to thank them.

Let me ask you a question. Had you caught the "problem" books in time and they refunded your money, would you still have posted that story in the exact same way? You don't think the "I lost $500 on those 2 books" makes THEM sound worse that they really are?

Geesh!

Let me ask you a question. Had you caught the "problem" books in time and they refunded your money, would you still have posted that story in the exact same way? You don't think the "I lost $500 on those 2 books" makes THEM sound worse that they really are?

I don't blame them for the post-30 day thing. That is pretty standard, even back then.

But to get to your question, no, I don't think "I lost $500 on those 2 books" has any impact because I never said that. This is the 2nd time you either put words in my mouth, or twisted what I have said. (not sure what's going on there, Shield, but that is another issue).

I SAID it cost me about $500 for the two books. That was an explanation of the price I paid for the books. I mentioned it immediately after the "inexpensive" quote so one could get a feel for their "inexpensive" perception.

Ultimately I sold the books, with full disclosure, to a fellow collector for about $350. Now if I HAD received a refund would I be a little less snarly? I doubt it. The kind of attitude they displayed is one thing that presses a particular button for me.

Curious if the books you cited have been slabbed or resto checked.

::typo edit - "is" to "if" ::

I don't blame them for the post-30 day thing. That is pretty standard, even back then.

But to get to your question, no, I don't think "I lost $500 on those 2 books" has any impact because I never said that. This is the 2nd time you either put words in my mouth, or twisted what I have said. (not sure what's going on there, Shield, but that is another issue).

I SAID it cost me about $500 for the two books. That was an explanation of the price I paid for the books. I mentioned it immediately after the "inexpensive" quote so one could get a feel for their "inexpensive" perception.

Ultimately I sold the books, with full disclosure, to a fellow collector for about $350. Now if I HAD received a refund would I be a little less snarly? I doubt it. The kind of attitude they displayed is one thing that presses a particular button for me.

Curious is the books you cited have been slabbed or resto checked.

Well, I took it to mean you took a $500 "hit" because of them, especially when you added it right after you said they wouldn't return your books. Had you prefaced it with "By inexpensive, I mean the total for these two books was $500" and not " And his reason for not noticing was "on inexpensive books I don't really look that carefully". Cost me about $500 for the two books. ". You can read this either way; I obviously took that as more of a slam on the dealer than you intended.

Of course I try to twist your words around POV! Remember, you told me how bad the idea of a Golden Age "Have a Cigar" thread was? Remember, Mr. Hall Monitor? Now look at where that thread is and the number of replies! Poor Pov the Hall Monitor! You're just jealous your name isn't at the top of the "Golden Age" thread!

( gossip.gif Now, I typed all that completely in jest, but you could take that seriously as well. See what I mean? We're all such sarcastic smart butts on here that sometimes we infer things differently than we intended.)

*update* Oh, now I remember the other time I "twisted" your words around. You were saying something about the slave trade, and how it was the white man's fault. Now I remember. I twisted your words when I mentioned the African Tribe Leaders that participated in the slave trade as well.

Hey POV...still love ya man! flowerred.gif I must, I just worked 11 minutes "overtime" in this forum on a Friday afternoon...

Oh, now I remember the other time I "twisted" your words around.

Dagnabit it was twice in THIS thread! 893frustrated.gif

And you KNOW I ended up really liking the GA Cigar thread.

And I kind of remember that Afircan deabte in WC but I THINK, not sure mind you, but THINK I may have imbibed just a little because it is a bit hazy. But I stand behind whatever it was I said!

Had you prefaced it with "By inexpensive...

Why don't you preface your FACE with a sign that says "This is a face".

There. I feel beter now!

PS - smile.gifhi.giftongue.gifflowerred.gif

Your spelling has improved quite a bit POV! You're obviously not imbibing at the moment!

Oh POV...always at the center of every controversy, always here to make comments. What would these boards be without you?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Robert is a very nice person to talk to at shows. His prices are pretty steep, so I don't buy from him much. Grading is ok. Better to buy from him in person and inspect the book yourself.

that last part is pretty faint praise...