• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest DC Bronze Age Key to find in VF/NM or better

63 posts in this topic

To all of the DC afficionados out there, what do you think is the toughest DC Bronze Age key to find in VF/NM or better condition? My choice is GL #76, but HOS #92 would have to be considered as well due to the black cover. Any other opinions?

Most likely the scarcest book is not the most sought after book. In terms of rarity for a DC bronze age, it's probably a romance, funny animal, teenage or some such book. Phantom Stranger #1, GL 76, WH1, etc. are not even close to being scarce in ANY grade, just in HIGH GRADE. You want a scarce in ANY grade book? I submit:

yl69.jpg

Undeniably the scarcest 80 page giant. Blows away 100 Page #5, and Super DC Giant #17 and 21. If you think I say this as self serving reason, I don't even own a copy, and have pretty much given up on trying to find one. tongue.gif

WoW!!!,...I've never even seen a copy either,...I think we have a winner... blush.gif

For the toughest Bronze Age DC KEY? No doubt, it's a tough book, but key?

Ah, ...but it is a key my friend,...it's the proto-type for DC Special.....this book doesn't fit into any other catagory,...it wasn't an 80/64 page giant....or an S-Series book....or an Annual....it's an anomaly...see Guide to DC giants...and click on DC Special....

Young Love #69

Young Love #69, an unnumbered giant, predates DC Special by just two months. It was DC's first 64-Page Giant and likely a prototype for DC Special.

Young Love #69, an unnumbered giant, predates DC Special by just two months. It was DC's first 64-Page Giant and likely a prototype for DC Special.

That may be one of the reasons the book is so scarce. DC produced 80 Page Giants for 6 months after the YL #69 came out. Maybe a 64 Page Giant for the same 25 cent price didn't seem like such a great deal compared to an 80 Pager.

And what's with the image on the bottom left of the cover? Doesn't look like rage to me...

I don't want to spark another "when did the Bronze Age begin" debate, but isn't that book a little early for the Bronze Age?

I can't imagine calling it a silver aged book, and DC Special #1 a bronze age. laugh.gif

WoW!!!,...I've never even seen a copy either,...I think we have a winner... blush.gif

Ah, ...but it is a key my friend,...it's the proto-type for DC Special.....this book doesn't fit into any other catagory,...it wasn't an 80/64 page giant....or an S-Series book....or an Annual....it's an anomaly...see Guide to DC giants...and click on DC Special....

Young Love #69

You say key, I say interesting oddity that most folks, beyond a lovable subset of DC collectors, couldn't care less about thumbsup2.gif I mean, if this and GL 76 are in the same class of books then I don't have a handle on the hobby at all.

Not knocking the book or those that are chasing it, very cool stuff, I just can't wrap my head around this book being "key" to the collecting public at large.

That and the fact that it's from '68 confused-smiley-013.gif

Young Love #69

The book may be scarce, but I agree w/Rob that this is not a DC Bronze Age Key...an anomaly is a good descriptor, but Key is not! sumo.gif