• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative to photobucket.

12 posts in this topic

Dice X has it right - get your own server storage. You can find plans on the cheap if your IP doesn't provide any. 1&1 is what I use and I've had no issues with them.

I use GoDaddy, it's about $50 per year for 10 gigabytes of server storage space available fast and easily from anywhere along with my own domain name. I've heard 1&1 is similarly feature-rich yet cheap. It also gives me free ASP.NET and database storage, which is useful to me as a developer, but even if you're not one, it allows you to use that to support free applications included in that $50 per year cost. One of their free apps I enjoy is an image gallery app similar to what Photobucket and Picassa give you--I've got one at http://gallery.jamesashleyrudd.com/ That gallery is password protected and I just list it as an example of what a cheap web host will give you.

I don't use Photobucket because direct image links such as the ones in my sig line or ones I put directly into posts here have always seemed difficult...they seem to not want you to link directly to images but to go through Photobucket pages with advertisements to see the images. Perhaps direct image links are possible...not sure. I'd still rather use my own cheap web host to store non-images...I have backups of important stuff up there, such as my database of comic books.