• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 1....it seems she will always be out of reach

82 posts in this topic

collecting for most is all about having "showpieces", if we can't show off what we collect, then it doesn't hold our interest.

example:

"hey look, this is Action Comics #2 it contains the second ever Superman story, It's encased in plastic and you can't read it or even see the splash page, but it's in there, the cover is just some dude parachuting from a plane with a girl."

OR

"hey look, this is only the second time in history that Superman was on the cover of a book. and the cover captures the characters early roots perfectly as a no nonsense champion of the oppressed who scared and threatened evil doers.

rinse and repeat for pre-Robin Tecs as well.

(thumbs u

And for some the second bat or supe is much more desirable than the second cover appearance. Same might be said for Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (1st printed App of Sub-Mariner)--I think less then 10 copies exist and it's a non subby cover but I'd rather have a Marvel 1 even tough that's a non subby cover too lol.

yes, I know $86k is a lot closer to 6 figures but there are chances to grab a copy, albeit restored in the 5 figures. :P
I can't imagine any copy (out side of incomplete) selling for less than 100K...even a 4.0 EP would sell for 100K IMO

yes, I know $86k is a lot closer to 6 figures but there are chances to grab a copy, albeit restored in the 5 figures. :P
I can't imagine any copy (out side of incomplete) selling for less than 100K...even a 4.0 EP would sell for 100K IMO
What would a copy with no BC value at?

too many factors and variables to determine without knowing all the factors and variables lol

too many factors and variables to determine without knowing all the factors and variables lol
Fair enough. Let's assume good paper and fc secure and eye appeal is 3.0

collecting for most is all about having "showpieces", if we can't show off what we collect, then it doesn't hold our interest.

example:

"hey look, this is Action Comics #2 it contains the second ever Superman story, It's encased in plastic and you can't read it or even see the splash page, but it's in there, the cover is just some dude parachuting from a plane with a girl."

OR

"hey look, this is only the second time in history that Superman was on the cover of a book. and the cover captures the characters early roots perfectly as a no nonsense champion of the oppressed who scared and threatened evil doers.

rinse and repeat for pre-Robin Tecs as well.

(thumbs u

And for some the second bat or supe is much more desirable than the second cover appearance. Same might be said for Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (1st printed App of Sub-Mariner)--I think less then 10 copies exist and it's a non subby cover but I'd rather have a Marvel 1 even tough that's a non subby cover too lol.

It would be really interesting to see what a 9.0+ copy of Action #2 would sell for these days, if one existed.

When I first started collecting golden age as a college student, I always wanted an Action 1 (like everyone else). But it was simply out of reach. I remember seeing low grade copies in the $30-$50k range but could do nothing but admire.

Today when my budget is bigger, the prices of Action 1 have also shot up with even restored examples bringing 6 digits. So for me, it seems the book will always be out of reach. Kind of sad.

Ankur :)

You just have to lower your standards. That's what I did and look what I got...

Image2-1.jpg

I can send you a crumb if you want :foryou:

can we go back to that previously discussed tec #28 for a second? i always found this book to be really hard to find...what about the coverless one currently on EBAY (i believe a boardie is selling it)?

Tec 28 is the toughest pre robin to find, bat cover or not...

I hadn't seen this before. That's pretty fun.

You just have to lower your standards. That's what I did and look what I got...

Image2-1.jpg

I can send you a crumb if you want :foryou:

I love how this gives the book the appearance of a holy relic or something. It's like buying a catholic saint's fingerbone in the Middle Ages. lol

Action 7 is my new Action 1...

... Of all the Golden Age comics, taking away the two books that are out of reach - Tec 27 and Action 1 just in case that needed to be spelled out! - this was book I most wanted ...

Second superhero cover - most prominent Superman on the cover compared to all the early Action covers (especially when you include the non-Superman covers!) - still affordable in a 1.0 universal (if you consider below $20K affordable!) - still a 1938 book, the year that officially launched the Golden Age - a classic Metropolis scene on the cover with cars that fit the 30s -

Everything screaming Golden Age at its birth - the gestation of the Superhero - the greatest Superhero of them all (after DC won the lawsuit against Fawcett) - all in their primordial dawn ... and with one zero less than Action 1 …

My 2c

But for the money I'd rather have a Superman 1. You can get a Mod Rest 1 in 7.0 for $30k. I think a 1.0-1.8 is in the same ball park as an Action 7 around $10-15k but I haven't looked in a while.

Ed