• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Watterson Calvin and Hobbes strip for sale (not by me)

44 posts in this topic

Wow...

I don't think I've ever seen one for sale before - I thought Mr. Watterson never gave any away..

Of note that this piece was given to Brian Basset a very talented comic-strip artist who works on Red and R.over...of which I own 1 :)

Anyway, I wonder what it will go for:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7066&lotIdNo=105001&type=7066cns-lc-tem091912#Photo

I have no idea on valuation -- I wouldn't even know where to begin - I saw that calendar piece - you think it will do better than that? That sold for like 100k no?

BW has 99.999% of his work (right?)....you think it will ever be open to the public? I would love to own a page from C and H..it was probably my favorite cartoon strip as a kid..

BW has 99.999% of his work (right?)....you think it will ever be open to the public? I would love to own a page from C and H..it was probably my favorite cartoon strip as a kid..

Watterson has all the art on "permanent loan" to Ohio State University I believe....

Watterson has all the art on "permanent loan" to Ohio State University I believe....

I talked with them about viewing it, you have to request specific items :(

I would LOVE to just spend a day looking through all his stuff.

Relative to the calendar piece, the consensus was that people would pay more for a Sunday.

The consensus should also have been that the calendar piece was a blip. :grin:

I really can't see $150k+ for the Sunday myself (six figures certainly) but obviously there's nor rhyme or reason at work in some of these auction results.

Last sale (I think) was the painted cover illustration from one of the trades that went for $107k. I would gather a painted Sunday wouldn't get to that.

Unless of course, you have two lunkheads whose wallets are as big as their pride, and they have a nerd battle over it.

Wow...

I don't think I've ever seen one for sale before - I thought Mr. Watterson never gave any away..

Of note that this piece was given to Brian Basset a very talented comic-strip artist who works on Red and R.over...of which I own 1 :)

Anyway, I wonder what it will go for:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7066&lotIdNo=105001&type=7066cns-lc-tem091912#Photo

That's not quite true. He has given away and traded art to a few people over the years and I believe a charity auction or two, but it really is just a handful of pieces. Probably the rarest original strip art of all in terms of artwork that actually exists yet 99% of it can't be purchased.

This will likely go for more than the calendar piece as the consensus among many potential bidders was that they would rather own an original strip rather than an isolated spot illo. I would have to concur since most of the crazy prices are driven by nostalgia- which a good strip would appeal to far more than the calendar piece. It wouldn't surprise me if the collector who bought the calendar piece bids on the strip and kicks out the calendar piece later if they win.