• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Can't Be Right - Ebay Sandman Auction

17 posts in this topic

Auction

I just saw this auction on Ebay for Sandman #1, #3, #6, #8 CGC 9.6 and Sandman #4 CGC 9.8.

The GPA 12 month average for all of these books combined is about $182.

The current bid on this auction is $550 and there are 17 bidders! And the bidders do not appear to be obvious shill bidders.

What?

Sparklecity consistently sells high quality stuff with low starting bids and no reserve. Add to that their KILLER customer service and FREE shipping and they have been blowing it out on ebay. I have bought a bunch of books from them in the last 6 months. I'll admit it's been getting tougher and tougher to win their auctions though.

Even if they are the best seller in Ebay's history, I can't understand how someone would pay 3 times the market value for these books!

If someone started a thread about every crazy, nosebleed auction that ever happened on Ebay, the forum server would have to shut down as it would be overwhelmed with activity.

One week you will see a Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 sell for $150. The next week someone will pay $200-$225. Then someone will nail one for slightly higher or less. That's the fun of auctions and buyer timing. If someone wants a book bad enough, high bids are not going to stop them.

though, sometimes when you get into the nosebleed stakes, books go high because the people don't care just the same and have the dough!

only takes two people who want it!

Bingo!

We saw this with some Dave Stevens registry members. There were books that sold in the few hundred dollar range that shouldn't even be at that level. But because it was a competition for points, the bids went much higher than anyone ever expected. And those sales figures then carried over to other sites because the same bidders were still trying to track down the same books they lost out on.

It's going to happen at times.

though, sometimes when you get into the nosebleed stakes, books go high because the people don't care just the same and have the dough!

only takes two people who want it!

Bingo!

We saw this with some Dave Stevens registry members. There were books that sold in the few hundred dollar range that shouldn't even be at that level. But because it was a competition for points, the bids went much higher than anyone ever expected. And those sales figures then carried over to other sites because the same bidders were still trying to track down the same books they lost out on.

It's going to happen at times.

People actually care about registry points that much? That's sad bordering on pathetic.

Auction

I just saw this auction on Ebay for Sandman #1, #3, #6, #8 CGC 9.6 and Sandman #4 CGC 9.8.

The GPA 12 month average for all of these books combined is about $182.

The current bid on this auction is $550 and there are 17 bidders! And the bidders do not appear to be obvious shill bidders.

What?

It`s called marketing. They know how to market the comics.

It happens in the music industry all the time.

Why is Justin Beiber making big time money over his talented contempories?

Because Justin Bieber was marketed by his manager better.

Why is Coca Cola number one over other soda products?

Marketing.

I would pay 4 to 5 times the market value for certain books that I want badly enough.

As the obvious has been said a million times, the real worth of a book is determined by what any given person is willing to pay for it.