• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC submission anxiety

46 posts in this topic

First time ever submitting my books to CGC and mailing them USPS, not dropping them off at a show. Packed them at securely as they can be packed, insured for twice what I paid and I still have a feeling of dread about what may happen to them en route. Can anyone relate?

Yep - my first package I sent out I was completely nervous about it, but now that I've gone through the process, I feel okay about sending stuff away.

Waiting to get them back...that's another story...

First time ever submitting my books to CGC and mailing them USPS, not dropping them off at a show. Packed them at securely as they can be packed, insured for twice what I paid and I still have a feeling of dread about what may happen to them en route. Can anyone relate?

Here is how CGC will receive them

box4.jpg

box4.jpg

lol

Being in Canada, and having to deal with duties so often, I almost always ask the seller to send/mark it as a gift and insure it at half the value... I do this MORE for the Mega-Keys too (otherwise I end up paying an additional 10-15% on everything).

I've done this so much I don't feel the mailing anxiety anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it. And you're over-insured. It will get there safely and soundly. Be sure to write your CGC member number on the invoice (or it should generate automatically if you do the PDF form on the computer), that way CGC can post "Received" when they receive the books. It typically takes them about two or three business days after receipt of the books for CGC to post on their web site that it was "Received."

sometimes I send in my books with no insurance. makes me feel like a real risk taker..

I sometimes do the same. I don't want to throw in more money into the already-expensive grading process, which adds to my cost basis for a raw book acquisition. When you're adding in money into grading fees, S&H fees, and then insurance fees, you're asking, "so why did I buy it raw?"

box4.jpg

Thinking about that possibility will make me :sick:

I wouldn't worry about it. And you're over-insured. It will get there safely and soundly. Be sure to write your CGC member number on the invoice (or it should generate automatically if you do the PDF form on the computer), that way CGC can post "Received" when they receive the books. It typically takes them about two or three business days after receipt of the books for CGC to post on their web site that it was "Received."

Did the PDF, got the three copies included and the invoice number is on all of them. I suppose the anticipation is at least half the fun.

Why pay for insurance for twice their value? If something happens and you try to do a claim aren't you opening yourself up for possible insurance fraud?

My first set of books has been with CGC since 8/30 and I'm already wondering when I'll see them back lol

I did take my time to do my best shipping them with lots of extra cardboard to make everything nice and sturdy. There wasn't anything too crazy expensive in there but certainly a few I have hopes for coming back at high grades. This waiting part is a drag though!

sometimes I send in my books with no insurance. makes me feel like a real risk taker..

I sometimes do the same. I don't want to throw in more money into the already-expensive grading process, which adds to my cost basis for a raw book acquisition. When you're adding in money into grading fees, S&H fees, and then insurance fees, you're asking, "so why did I buy it raw?"

Are you taking advantage of the free 10% submission discount?

Indeed. That's maybe $4 or so off. Not much.

My submission forms said "Discount Applied" I assumed that CGC would calculate the discount before charging me. Wrong? Do they really rely on the customer to calculate how much they're gonna pay? If so, do they only correct your error if they correct price is in their favor, and just let you hang if you shaft yourself?

I just sent off my first submission of four books Yesterday.

Spider-Man 50 in probably 2.0ish. But I'm working on a graded run of low-grade 1-100

Iron Man v1 #5 figured 7.5-8.0

Detective 374 in 8.5ish

Star Trek (Gold Key) 45 about a 9.

I'm probably way off, but to me it's part of the fun to see how close my grading skills are, and it's a learning curve. Plus, these were 4 books I'm attached to beyond their market value, and don't intend to sell.

All that said, yeah, I'm nervous about shipping. Went USPS, Insured for what I would say replacement value of the books would be. packed according to the sticky thread on the general board, but still. I get nervous if the dog walks into my office where all my comics are either in a filing cabinet or slabbed and in a rack. So letting them out of my possession for an extended time, and shipping them through an uncaring faceless service (this applies to all of 'em). Yeah, nervous. But I'll get over it. I'm already looking forward to my next batch to send in!

box4.jpg

:signfunny: