• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

From hell. It was painful to read. The extended treatises on Victorian architecture bored me to tears and the in medias res plotting ruined all the suspense by revealing who the killer was.

I've read a lot of stories by Alan Moore and they were all disappointing, with the sole exception being The Killing Joke. I simply don't understand what others find appealing about his work. (shrug)

Are you serious, or are you just saying this for shock value?

Very. serious.

Personally, I would put the Killing Joke towards the bottom of my Alan Moore list. A few notches above From Hell which I found entirely boring.

jjonahjameson1, you might enjoy his line of ABC comics. (shrug)

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

I totally agree. I guess it was one of those books you had to read at the time, but has not aged well.

Yeah, tried reading it and quit.

Also, I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was abysmal

Crisis was pretty to look at but was confusing as all hell as I recall.

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

I totally agree. I guess it was one of those books you had to read at the time, but has not aged well.

Yeah, tried reading it and quit.

Also, I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was abysmal

Crisis was pretty to look at but was confusing as all hell as I recall.

I felt the same way. Coming into the story I really had no clue about the convoluted continuity of DC Comics. I start reading it and there's like 5 Supermans, 7 Flashs and this weird guy with a jheri-curl appearing at different worlds and just crying as everyone dies. The Perez art was great...

The only one I can think of was DC's New Talent Showcase. At the time I thought the series would introduce me to a new generation of talented artists and writers. :roflmao:

The reason it was less than affectionately referred to as 'No Talent Showcase'.

It still blows my mind that nothing came out of that series. You'd think DC would have had better talent evaluation skills.

Started reading the Longshot mini...have issues 5 & 6 to finish, but it's painful. Don't know what all the hype was about when this book came out (shrug)

As I recall, it was mostly hype because of Art Adams. He was a hot artist at the time.

Started reading the Longshot mini...have issues 5 & 6 to finish, but it's painful. Don't know what all the hype was about when this book came out (shrug)

As I recall, it was mostly hype because of Art Adams. He was a hot artist at the time.

Exactly!

That 2-3 year span where Art was a breathe of fresh air was remarkable and fondly remembered...

-Web of Spidey Annual

-X-Men/X-babies annuals

-Action annual (Supes & Bats & cute Vampire girl)

-Longshot mini

-New Mutants Special

Small body of work, big impact!

X-Men #94-up. I just don't care for it.

When I was getting into comics, there were two camps, X-Men and New Teen Titans. I went the NTT route. I got some grief for not picking up X-Men as well but it didn't look as good to me. I went back and picked up X-Men but the stories just were nowhere near as good.

The only one I can think of was DC's New Talent Showcase. At the time I thought the series would introduce me to a new generation of talented artists and writers. :roflmao:

It still blows my mind that nothing came out of that series. You'd think DC would have had better talent evaluation skills.

I think Karl Kesel got his start with that series as an inker. Still, not a high percentage.

I think Karl Kesel got his start with that series as an inker. Still, not a high percentage.

I couldn't see much of interest when I thumbed through the comics at the time. The artwork generally looked very amateurish and tenth rate. The only creator I remembered from the series was Scott Hampton. However, I was intrigued enough to go onto GCD and check if the title really was that irredeemable. I was surprised at the result, because many of the artists got much better and eventually became familiar names...

- Tom Mandrake

- Steve Lightle

- Karl Kesel

- June Brigman

- Shawn McManus

- Tom Grindberg

- Mark Beachum

- Javier Saltares

- Norm Breyfogle

- Stephen DeStefano

- Mike Chen

- Eric Shanower

- Graham Nolan

Just looking for a recommendation here.

I've got the first five trades of Irredeemable and really like them. But I stopped buying because there was no end in sight. But I see that the series is over now.

WITHOUT SPOILERS please, does it maintain the standard through to the end? (i.e. should I go buy the rest?)

As for a series that disappoints when you get around to reading it, I got burned badly by Buffy Season 8. Great start, really good job of capturing the dialogue and characterisation of the show, then they had to...

have Buffy and Angel *spoon* their way to a new universe. doh!

Sigh - Joss Whedon really needs adult supervision.

There was this time that I followed this book for many years. Then, all of a sudden they said that everything that had happened from 1987 through 2007 sorta happened... but didn't really happen. Then they said that this would make the series better because the main character would appear younger and hipper and the writers could finally do storylines they never could before. Then all of a sudden from 2007 to last month's issue, it kinda sucked.

1293546946-1101456-thumb160x_spiderman_sad_large_zps3cee6ba8.jpg

Watchmen - makes me question why this is considered as the Holy Grail of comic literature. Too boring for me.

TDKR - perhaps I wasn't in the proper mindset when I read this, but yup, also boring.

COIE / Secret Wars - all over the place.

But overhyped books that I did love include;

Sandman - best comic for me.

TWD - simple story to follow, engaging and unputdownable.

Infinity Gauntlet - the proper way to make a superhero mega-crossover.

Claremont's X-men - the quintessential X-Men stories.

Y The Last Man / Fables - read it as they came out. Solid stories, engaging characters.

The Walking Dead was garbage. I could not make it to the end of the first TPB and I bought several of them.

The artwork was cartoonish and the several panels with no dialogue was borderline unbearable.

And remember, I read every book Marvel and Image put out in the early 90's. So I know what garbage is.

From hell. It was painful to read. The extended treatises on Victorian architecture bored me to tears and the in medias res plotting ruined all the suspense by revealing who the killer was.

I've read a lot of stories by Alan Moore and they were all disappointing, with the sole exception being The Killing Joke. I simply don't understand what others find appealing about his work. (shrug)

Very. serious.

Personally, I would put the Killing Joke towards the bottom of my Alan Moore list. A few notches above From Hell which I found entirely boring.

Hi, thanks for suggesting Moore's ABC comics line, however, I will not waste another moment reading this man's work...I've given it plenty of tries, and the payback is minimal.

Very. serious.

Hi, thanks for suggesting Moore's ABC comics line, however, I will not waste another moment reading this man's work...I've given it plenty of tries, and the payback is minimal.

That's cool. There's plenty of other good comic reading so you don't have to go the Moore route again.

Your JR JR Spidey covers are incredible btw. I could go into that in a lot more detail, but I don't want to derail the thread too much.

Dark Knight Strikes Again, without question.

Maybe a far second would be Year One. It wasn't near as good as I was expecting based on everything I had heard. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great.

Dark Knight Strikes Again, without question.

The concensus on that series is that it was a stinker.

I have not read it for hearing that from several people whose opinions I trust. I did flip through an issue and did not like the artwork at all.

I still find it funny that some fans were accusing Miller of making it bad on purpose. Talk about mind reading.... Sheesh!