• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

I totally agree. I guess it was one of those books you had to read at the time, but has not aged well.

Yeah, tried reading it and quit.

Also, I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was abysmal

Also, I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was abysmal

100% agree!! Wolfman's writing was not very good. I believe Perez jumped in and helped with the writing or ploting around issue 6 and it did get a little better...only a little better.

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

I totally agree. I guess it was one of those books you had to read at the time, but has not aged well.

I read three pages of it at Drew's house and quit. It was awful. I found an Inhumans graphic novel and read that instead. It was great.

Stories that I was told were good, but let me down include:

Kingdom Come

Identity Crisis

Planet Hulk

I loved these three.

Especially Identity Crisis.

I though Kingdom Come was a tour de force that really makes me think about life.

But to each his own :foryou:

+1000

I read three pages of it at Drew's house and quit. It was awful. I found an Inhumans graphic novel and read that instead. It was great.

You read 3 pages and quit. I see. I watched the first second of Casablanca at Fred's house and quit.

Tried to read Earth X last month. Couldn't get through the first trade. My buddy still raves about it, so may attempt to give it another go in the future.
That was one I had to let soak in month by month. I liked the two-three pages of sketches and notes at the end of each issue, which actually worked to give insight into the story. It may help to approach it with the idea that it's not about the characters but about the cosmic scope of the Marvel Universe. The later series didn't fulfill the promise of the first series.

Stories that I was told were good, but let me down include:

Kingdom Come

Identity Crisis

Planet Hulk

I loved these three.

Especially Identity Crisis.

I though Kingdom Come was a tour de force that really makes me think about life.

But to each his own :foryou:

Kingdom Come was well-paced and well-thought. I could tell Ross had thought out the backstory behind all the new characters, which was cool.

The only way I could enjoy Identity Crisis was by pretending it had the Elseworlds brand on it. :)

+1000

You read 3 pages and quit. I see. I watched the first second of Casablanca at Fred's house and quit.

Well, Arex knows who Drew is and I haven't watched Casablanca either as it is in black and white.

+1000

Well, Arex knows who Drew is and I haven't watched Casablanca either as it is in black and white.

Truth be told I could have quit Watchmen after 3 pages as well.

Regardless of whose house I was at

Really was disappointed in this.I loved the series when I was a lad, but as an adult it was disappointing. :sick:

9780785150343.jpg

That's true of quite a few series that I read or, more accurately, skimmed through superficially as a kid, being mainly impressed by the power of the artwork more than anything. Kirby's Fourth World - terrible dialogue, Lee's Silver Surfer - boring, one- note philosophy, Steranko's SHIELD - spoiled by some very poor story pacing at times.

The only one I can think of was DC's New Talent Showcase. At the time I thought the series would introduce me to a new generation of talented artists and writers. :roflmao:

The reason it was less than affectionately referred to as 'No Talent Showcase'.

Pretty much everything from the SA and early BA I read as a kid didn't hold up when rereading as an adult. Some things could remind me of why I liked them even if they weren't as great a I remembered, but others were cringe-worthy.

The O'Neill/Adams GL/GA run was like that. The art was still top-notch, but the writing pretty embarrassing.

I still get a nostalgia rush when I see a lot of these books, though I have few from that era in my collection, and the relatively uncluttered continuity of Marvel from that time has a geek appeal, but at the end of the day these comics were written for 12 year olds and it shows.

On the other hand some of the non-superhero stuff I read as a little kid, I still find engaging: Tin-Tin, Bark's Ducks and Little Lulu, even though much of it was intended for an even younger audience.

From hell. It was painful to read. The extended treatises on Victorian architecture bored me to tears and the in medias res plotting ruined all the suspense by revealing who the killer was.

I've read a lot of stories by Alan Moore and they were all disappointing, with the sole exception being The Killing Joke. I simply don't understand what others find appealing about his work. (shrug)

Are you serious, or are you just saying this for shock value?

Very. serious.