• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]John Byrne run in Wonder Woman,

and in general everything he did in the 90’s.

I was a huge fan of his work but then...[/font]

:facepalm:

I've been thinking about re-reading Next Men. Haven't touched that series in years. I wonder how it will hold up?

The Walking Dead. And I'm a fan of all things zombie. I like the show and I actually enjoy reading the main Walking Dead thread here since I'm interested in the mania and fandom.

After hearing so much about this series, I finally broke down and bought the first trade. I thought the story was choppy and hard to follow at times. I love the TV show but I don't think I'll ever read the comic. (shrug)

For me it was Sandman. I even bought single key issues, different TP that was recommended but I just didn't like it. I have tried over and over to read it but it just do not appeal to me at all.

I agree on Sandman as well. Tried reading the first TPB and didn't "get" it.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

To each their own, that's too bad you didn't like Preacher. I read, and re-read the Preacher series at least 10 times since the 90's. If you didn't like the first three books, I am surprised you managed to get through the rest, as the first three are really the great arcs of the entire series.

My only complaint was that the conclusion of the Preacher series wasn't as powerful and awesome as I'd hoped. I, on the other hand, really like Steve Dillon's art - it has a very cool Mobius feel to it that I've always appreciated.

I could be wrong. I don remember liking parts of it, but just being exhausted by it at the end.

I can agree with you a bit on that - it was getting a little long in the tooth towards the end. I think the story really peaked in the 30's and it just didn't seem like they had much direction. They used up all their good bad guys by then, and it just seemed off-the-cuff at that point. I still love the entire series, and thanks to this thread, I'll probably read it again - but I can also see why someone who isn't into it that much would wonder why everyone else went batshlt over it.

For me it was Sandman. I even bought single key issues, different TP that was recommended but I just didn't like it. I have tried over and over to read it but it just do not appeal to me at all.

+1

Just not my thing, and I tried several times to read it and it just wasn't my kind of comic.

Alan Moore 1980's Swamp Things.

Maybe it's because I love the Wein/Wrightson issues from the 1970's? I hate the art in the Alan Moore ones. I have some TPB's of them but can't get into them at all.

I read the Watchmen TPB back in the early 90's and thought it was OK. It didn't wow me.

Kingdom Come was the last series that I thought was truly exceptional. It gave me the same feeling of "wonder" from my youth is reading a comic.

The Walking Dead. And I'm a fan of all things zombie. I like the show and I actually enjoy reading the main Walking Dead thread here since I'm interested in the mania and fandom.

After hearing so much about this series, I finally broke down and bought the first trade. I thought the story was choppy and hard to follow at times. I love the TV show but I don't think I'll ever read the comic. (shrug)

TWD "choppy and hard to follow at times"? It's one of the more basic, simple reads out there. Kirkman writes as though he is speaking to 8 year olds half the time.

I can see "choppy" I guess as he tends to jump around to different characters every few pages but no more than your typical x-book or whatever.

I tend to see TWD as one of the lighter, easier reads each month because of how straight forward it is.

Fables

+1. Read the first TPB and it didn't really resonate with me.

And DKR. First of all I don't really like the style of the art and I thought I was too political. I don't see how people tout this as the quintessential Batman story. It just doesn't do it for me. I liked Miller's Year One much better.

TWD "choppy and hard to follow at times"? It's one of the more basic, simple reads out there. Kirkman writes as though he is speaking to 8 year olds half the time.

I can see "choppy" I guess as he tends to jump around to different characters every few pages but no more than your typical x-book or whatever.

I tend to see TWD as one of the lighter, easier reads each month because of how straight forward it is.

I got the sense it was choppy, not because it switched back and forth, but that it switched at odd places in the dialogue sometimes. When you have a bunch of talking heads and dialogue, and you switch over to another page with different talking heads and dialogue - it can probably appear choppy. Once I got through 10 issues or so, I was able to go with it.

I just finished reading 1-100, and TWD was a really, really great read.