• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hostility between Golden Age collectors and Modern collectors...

87 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to these forums, and comic book collecting in general (after a 20 year hiatus).

Is it common for the GA collectors to consistently bash and hate on Modern comics and Modern collectors?

Sometimes I see these threads in the General Forum and I just wanna go off on these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I just saw another post where someone was asking about modern collectibles, and of course, everyone is pretty much dissing on Moderns. I stood up to it the best I can in the heat of the moment, but I'm getting so tired of seeing that.

Why do they have such a holier-than-thou complex? Heck, I so badly want to say "so, what's new?....oh that's right, NOTHING! hahahaha!!" But I'm more mature than that....Just kidding, Im going to go do that right now.

Older collectors have always bashed on modern comics. That being said, I may eventually make a blog post where I provide 100 reasons why I think modern comics suck. If I do it, it'll be a point by point issue of what I have a problem with and links to alternative ways to do things. If I come across as insensitive... good. If you are old enough to post here, you are old enough to get over the fact someone disagrees with you.

DG

Well...... I don't particularly care if you dislike something that I like. Having said that, I don't really get why some people always feel the need to share their dislike of things that others like.

Personally, to generalise I think that a lot of Golden Age stories are terrible and I'm far from the only person to think that. I don't feel the need to constantly bash them though. (shrug)

I started collecting Moderns, then little by little moved all the way back to GA, so I like books all across the age spectrum. I try not to pay too much for moderns now though because I always start thinking they are too volatile and the money might be better spent in GA or early SA where there's less of a chance I could lose that money spent.

Well...... I don't particularly care if you dislike something that I like. Having said that, I don't really get why some people always feel the need to share their dislike of things that others like.

Personally, to generalise I think that a lot of Golden Age stories are terrible and I'm far from the only person to think that. I don't feel the need to constantly bash them though. (shrug)

my 2 cents, I think they do it because they feel that modern comics is where the bubble is, and that when it blows up (like in the 90s, and maybe again in a few years), it hurts the industry as a whole.

I agree with you that modern stories are far more complex and involved, and in a lot of ways, better. But to the GA guys, they see it all as common stuff, creating artificial rarity (CGC prices vs raw, variant covers vs regular), which endangers the comic industry as a whole.

Personally I like both. I love the old stuff, but not everyone wants to pay 5 figures for a comic book....and I like the new stuff, but I do think a lot of it is grossly over valued and a reckoning will eventually come.

I'm relatively new to these forums, and comic book collecting in general (after a 20 year hiatus).

Is it common for the GA collectors to consistently bash and hate on Modern comics and Modern collectors?

Sometimes I see these threads in the General Forum and I just wanna go off on these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I just saw another post where someone was asking about modern collectibles, and of course, everyone is pretty much dissing on Moderns. I stood up to it the best I can in the heat of the moment, but I'm getting so tired of seeing that.

Why do they have such a holier-than-thou complex? Heck, I so badly want to say "so, what's new?....oh that's right, NOTHING! hahahaha!!" But I'm more mature than that....Just kidding, Im going to go do that right now.

Older collectors have always bashed on modern comics. That being said, I may eventually make a blog post where I provide 100 reasons why I think modern comics suck. If I do it, it'll be a point by point issue of what I have a problem with and links to alternative ways to do things. If I come across as insensitive... good. If you are old enough to post here, you are old enough to get over the fact someone disagrees with you.

DG

I can see it now...

• Reason #37 - Not a superhero? Stooopid

• Reason #56 - I mean cmon, who actually likes having new material to look forward to? Right guys!!??

• Reason #88 - Quality paper being used? LAME

RB

Reason #73 - Where are the men in tights?

It's funny, my entire life I've thought that if it didn't have a superhero it was pretty much fringe garbage. Now I don't read a superhero at all. If someone had told me this was going to be the case when I was 14 years old, I would have socked them in the face.

Jim

It's funny, my entire life I've thought that if it didn't have a superhero it was pretty much fringe garbage. Now I don't read a superhero at all. If someone had told me this was going to be the case when I was 14 years old, I would have socked them in the face.

Jim

all roads lead to pre code horror

Jim

all roads lead to pre code horror

:applause:

DG

Some people think their opinion is more important than it really is.

Jim

I think it's weird how many people are like that. I used to read a lot of super hero stuff but my first comics were non super hero and I pretty much always read comics about anything.

The funniest thing is how hilarious it would appear to a non comic collector when comic geeks argue about which comic era is lame. :facepalm:

Some people are in need of some self awareness.

DG

Do it.

DG

If you're old enough to post here, you are old enough to realize that people disagreeing with you doesn't make you the lone voice of sanity. The insane are lonely, too.

This is still the Modern Comics section of this board.

You're like a vegetarian who goes to a steakhouse just to yell at the customers.

Lets just be honest.

Some blokes are just royally pizzed that TWD #1 is worth more than some crusty piece of that they've had for 50 years. :devil:

The other big factor is the fact you NEVER see any of us on the other boards critising their buys. rantrant

We buy,we read.

Some of us flip.

Some of us keep.

We all get burned at least once. :cry:

But I can't help thinking that at least some of the constant criticts are secretly wishing they has bought 10 TWD #1 back in the day and were banking that $20,000 right now. lol

Its our choice to speculate. We are adults and all of us are hopefully using 'spare' cash - I hope to god no-one is not paying their mortgage to buy Revival #3 ,4th print...lol.

Personally,I only collect #1's and try to flip within 6 - 12 months.

CGC aren't helping by being slow.

Perhaps all the GA and SA collectors could stop sending in their old stuff for a bit?

:jokealert:

Well the last bit was anyway.

No, no, the entire post was a joke. Don't sell yourself short(er)!

DG

Do it.

:taptaptap: