• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super rare 1940 Macy's discovery!!!!!

10 posts in this topic

This is a booklet that was given away at Macy's department store when the kids went to see Santa, they were given this booklet. It is an ABC booklet but the cool thing about it is that the letter D stands for Donald duck, an early appearance for him and even cooler is the S stands for Superman!!!!! An ultra rare early appearance for him. In the most odd look ever, he is wearing a cape and shorts!!!!!!!! I am sorry but all I have is a scanner and it is too difficult to show the inside, especially the way the superman picture is. There can't be many of these books that exist. I would guess 5 or less.

Whos001.jpg

This is a booklet that was given away at Macy's department store when the kids went to see Santa, they were given this booklet.... There can't be many of these books that exist. I would guess 5 or less.

Amazing! And it looks to be in pretty decent condition too! How did you score that booklet anyway?

Yes especially would like to see the Superman shot!

I'd like to see any interior shots! There has to be all kinds of esoteric stuff in that booklet.

:headbang:

I think bob beerbohm had a small stack of these one year in SD...I recall looking at it and thinking "neat" but didn't actually buy one

someone might want to contact him to see if 1) my memory is correct and 2) if he still has them for sale (thumbs u

This is a booklet that was given away at Macy's department store when the kids went to see Santa, they were given this booklet. It is an ABC booklet but the cool thing about it is that the letter D stands for Donald duck, an early appearance for him and even cooler is the S stands for Superman!!!!! An ultra rare early appearance for him. In the most odd look ever, he is wearing a cape and shorts!!!!!!!! I am sorry but all I have is a scanner and it is too difficult to show the inside, especially the way the superman picture is. There can't be many of these books that exist. I would guess 5 or less.

Whos001.jpg

Great find, Bo Hogg! Is it like comics inside or like a storybook?

There is a whole thread about Christmas covers. Lots of fun giveaways that are not listed in any Guide. Got a few new ones I'll be adding to the thread closer to the holidays...

Hey Boot, I knew you would like this book! There are no comics inside. Each letter of the alphabet represents a comic character and there is a crude drawing of the comic character and on the other side there are a few words about the character. This book was for very young children.

Hey Boot, I knew you would like this book! There are no comics inside. Each letter of the alphabet represents a comic character and there is a crude drawing of the comic character and on the other side there are a few words about the character. This book was for very young children.

Great pickup Bo. As usual!

macystoylandB_zpscffd176c.jpg

macystoylandD_zpsad5dec10.jpg

macystoylandI_zpsd8b0eb93.jpg

macystoylandS_zps54361517.jpg