• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Thanks to Menace for picking these up for us.

Thanks in advance to Jimmy and Mike Honcho who will be picking up the next CBDLF variant for the board and charge nothing for their work. Whether they limit it to one per person is up to them. Based on what people are posting here, though, it would seem like a good idea. I know shipping out 200 (or whatever) individual packages is a lot of work, so a hearty round of applause for their altruism!

I do agree that the CBDLF should benefit as much as they can. I would suggest that next time, they simply charge $50 or $100 or whatever it is the market will bear. Don't leave money on the table for flippers/speculators. Charge full price. And then let Jimmy and/or Mike Honho handle all the shipping.

For those who are saying these should have been limited to one per person, I certainly hope they don't ever buy more than one copy of any new release book from their LCS. After all, people who go to their LCS have the same expectation for a chance to pick up a copy of a new comic as those who are attending WW Portland to pick up this variant.

I personally asked for 5 copies from Menace, two more than the (totally arbitrary) 3 limit someone suggested (i.e. a "collector" would only "need" 3 copies...lol!). I got 5 to maximize my chances of getting a 9.8. I'm going to let the other 4 go for the same $30 (and change) I paid. If I get them all graded, the fees will be added. PM me if you want to be on the list. However, it's NOT first come, first serve. I will decide who gets them. If you are someone who missed this chance from Menace, and are now moaning that there should have been a limit of one, but would think nothing of cleaning out their LCS of the latest hot comic on the day of release...consider yourself disqualified.

I totally support the handling fee and the fact that a little more goes to a good cause than would be pulled at the con. I honestly thought about asking for 10 copies but that seemed excessive and a bit selfish - and like it might screw up a good thing... Then again, I buy for me 98% of the time. I'm stoked if I get the 2 copies if it works out. Otherwise, no worries, like TB, there will be other ways.

I really appreciate the service.

Thanks in advance to Jimmy and Mike Honcho who will be picking up the next CBDLF variant for the board and charge nothing for their work. Whether they limit it to one per person is up to them. Based on what people are posting here, though, it would seem like a good idea. I know shipping out 200 (or whatever) individual packages is a lot of work, so a hearty round of applause for their altruism!

I do agree that the CBDLF should benefit as much as they can. I would suggest that next time, they simply charge $50 or $100 or whatever it is the market will bear. Don't leave money on the table for flippers/speculators. Charge full price. And then let Jimmy and/or Mike Honho handle all the shipping.

For those who are saying these should have been limited to one per person, I certainly hope they don't ever buy more than one copy of any new release book from their LCS. After all, people who go to their LCS have the same expectation for a chance to pick up a copy of a new comic as those who are attending WW Portland to pick up this variant.

I personally asked for 5 copies from Menace, two more than the (totally arbitrary) 3 limit someone suggested (i.e. a "collector" would only "need" 3 copies...lol!). I got 5 to maximize my chances of getting a 9.8. I'm going to let the other 4 go for the same $30 (and change) I paid. If I get them all graded, the fees will be added. PM me if you want to be on the list. However, it's NOT first come, first serve. I will decide who gets them. If you are someone who missed this chance from Menace, and are now moaning that there should have been a limit of one, but would think nothing of cleaning out their LCS of the latest hot comic on the day of release...consider yourself disqualified.

:golfclap:

Problem started with CBLDF not giving a set number of copies that were allowed to be sold......

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

:facepalm:

I would have made more money staying quiet...

People were offering me $30-$50 to get them a copy before I offered this. Some offering that for multiple copies.

You did well sir. A good name is better than a few bucks.

That is the thing I wonder if this was helpful with my reputation here and in the industry.

We all know because I was one of the people being asked to get them that people were being asked to get them for insane prices before I did this. Some of you even mentioned it. If I had not got involved 4-5 people would have gotten 80% of these books and sold them here or on ebay to people who had been asking us to get them. Instead they got not just double... 4X the donation as the previous scenario.

I thought I would get 60-80 orders, and did not think I needed a limit, in quant or total.

Within a few minutes I identified there was a problem and emailed who I could and place my own cap on the total.

:golfclap:

:facepalm:

I would have made more money staying quiet...

People were offering me $30-$50 to get them a copy before I offered this. Some offering that for multiple copies.

Menace, in my opinion you offering this here on the boards was first class. I understand you worked it out in a way where the CBLDF would get more money per book than if sold at the con, while affording us boardies who can't make it to many of the comic cons the opportunity to own one or more copies. In the end killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, by making more money for the CBLDF and making us on here happy to own some copies of this book.

This should be seen as a win-win situation, so don't mind any negativity or nay saying, since you did this coming from a good place. Are you profiting from this? Sure and in my opinion you should get compensated for the work you're putting in.

Again, I for one am thankful you allowed me the opportunity to get this book in a way where more of my money goes to the CBLDF as opposed to me buying the book from someone on ebay who paid $5 or $10 for it and is then reselling them for $50+ profit with no more money going to the CBLDF.

So, thank you. :grin: