• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

i like how everyone just glances over the post from the publisher of this book itself expressing how he thought this whole thing was a terrible idea.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even the unpopular ones (thumbs u

yeah well money does funny things to people. always has always will.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

Its as simple at this:

If Menace didn't do this, everyone who purchased from him would have ended up lining someone else's pockets for much more and less would go to the cause. Nothing wrong or devious about him selling them.

As for the people at the cons? So a few will miss ONE BOOK. Not too many were planning to go just for this. I have only been able to make it to one con in the last 5 years and will shed no tears for the handful of flippers who won't get their paws on the copies Menace will.

We're talking about $2,000. That is how much Menace will make from this endeavour.

So? Why don't you tell us how much profit he is allowed to make?

He is providing a service that many are very thankful for, if not he wouldn't be making that awful profit. Down with capitalism! doh!

We're talking about $2,000. That is how much Menace will make from this endeavour.

I think what you are missing is I had made MORE than this with private PM's offering me $30-50 per book to pick them up.

One option I had was to go to the booth buy as many as I could and re-sell them right? Seems like a whole lot easier than contacting the CBLDF asking to set something up to greater benefit the charity and deal with this fallout.

Anyone who wanted to rent a house, buy a $300 tables, pay to travel to a show,plan months in advance to go to a show, dedicate their lives to a studio and industry they believe in, quit their jobs, Quit going to school to be a doctor... feel free... jump up and say I was doing something wrong here.

Hey Mike,

Welcome. I agree, except permission was given by CBLDF. I contacted Eric and let him know that although these books were (1) offered with permission (2) by a willing seller and buyers, that (3) I can see how this is an issue.

I wouldn't be disappointed if they canceled the whole thing. Sorry, Menace. I appreciate you and think you tried to help us boardies out who can't go to a con. It's not worth if its going to be frowned upon by Eric and NWM crew who have been most generous to us boardies.

I agree I haven't wanted to cause panic but if they cancel on me I will abide.

I think what you are missing is I had made MORE than this with private PM's offering me $30-50 per book to pick them up.

One option I had was to go to the booth buy as many as I could and re-sell them right? Seems like a whole lot easier than contacting the CBLDF asking to set something up to greater benefit the charity and deal with this fallout.

Anyone who wanted to rent a house, buy a $300 tables, pay to travel to a show,plan months in advance to go to a show, dedicate their lives to a studio and industry they believe in, quit their jobs, Quit going to school to be a doctor... feel free... jump up and say I was doing something wrong here.

If the goal of the book wasn't to raise money for a charity I would agree with you.

But 1/3 of the price is too rich. Splitting your actual costs, I would agree with.

The book would not sell out at the show if the first 200 were not already scooped up by you.

You know I understand where E.S. is coming from. It is a "reward" for those that attend the Con, but it's also NOT stopping scalpers on any level. I went to NYCC last year and believe me, there were plenty of exclusives being sold on Ebay the day of the show...in fact, dealers had stacks of exclusives for sale marked up 20% or more...When there was still stocks left at the booths offering them in the first place.

Speculation is always going to happen and sooner that people keep that in mind, then maybe it won't bother them like it seems. I know I've gained from it and I've suffered for it too. But I don't lose sleep and I never get angered because the issue I am looking for is sold out. I know it will turn up on Ebay or at a local con.

I know from collecting OA that artists used to get all pissed off when people would get a sketch and turned around and sell it on Ebay. But the reality is that if you've been paid for something at your asking price, then what the buyer does with it is their business. If they sell it for more, for less....if they destroy it...or smoke it....or whatever, it's not yours anymore.

I think what ticks me people off is the idea that maybe "they sold something too cheap".

the problem lies with you co-horting and conspiring with a connection you had at cbldf to prearrange 200 copies of this to sell at a profit. it's not like you stood in line for 2 hours to get some and then came on here to sell them after the fact. if that was the case then sell them for 300 at that point and i'd pat you on the back and say well done.

fact is you went through the back door to secure these weeks before they are available to the public and sold them for profit. to me this is the main problem i have with all of this. i understand that cbldf made more money but it still doesn't make it right.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

Problem started with CBLDF not giving a set number of copies that were allowed to be sold......

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

i like how everyone just glances over the post from the publisher of this book itself expressing how he thought this whole thing was a terrible idea. kudos to you good sir. good to know me and few others aren't the only ones bothered by this whole mess.

also in response to nexus i think. i'm all for buying multiple copies at a lcs and flipping them. this is a completely different scenario though, so don't try to spin it like that. this would be akin to the shop owner letting 20 of his buddies come in on a tuesday night and stockpiling all the hot releases before he opens the next day, which for all i know probably does happen often, and would be wrong. this book was meant for one reason and now almost half the print run has been allowed to be pre-sold and slipped out the back door for a marked up price. this is just flat out wrong and a disservice to all the people that go to cons for exclusive events like this. bottom line.

Would you have been OK, then, if Menace (or whomever) went to the show and bought out every single copy and then flipped them? Is that close enough to buying multiple copies at the LCS on Wednesday to flip? I don't see anywhere where the CBLDF set any limits, so it's highly conceivable for a small number of people to buy out the entire run at the show. Someone could theoretically buy all 500 copies for $5K. Believe it or not, that's a pittance for some of the wheeler-dealers here and they'd kill for an opportunity to corner the market on an exclusive like this.

As I said, nothing perfect about the current situation, but it could have been worse.

As it is, I'm happy to pay Menace $10/copy for his trouble and will do so again in the future. Especially since it's cheaper than attending the con, the charity benefits, and I have as of yet to see any of his critics offer to do the same for free.

Youve already stated that you arent even attending the con so I dont see where all the hate is coming from - Almost sounds personal

Probably from the wait list I suppose

No one complains when my business makes 10k+ in a weekend so why is it so wrong for him to make money on something that will occupy much of his time..

CBDLF still gets double donations - 4k which is more than they would have gotten for those 200 - They make almost as much as they would selling all 500 on less than half of the stock

??????????

Edited by wushugushu

Problem started with CBLDF not giving a set number of copies that were allowed to be sold......

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

i like how everyone just glances over the post from the publisher of this book itself expressing how he thought this whole thing was a terrible idea. kudos to you good sir. good to know me and few others aren't the only ones bothered by this whole mess.

also in response to nexus i think. i'm all for buying multiple copies at a lcs and flipping them. this is a completely different scenario though, so don't try to spin it like that. this would be akin to the shop owner letting 20 of his buddies come in on a tuesday night and stockpiling all the hot releases before he opens the next day, which for all i know probably does happen often, and would be wrong. this book was meant for one reason and now almost half the print run has been allowed to be pre-sold and slipped out the back door for a marked up price. this is just flat out wrong and a disservice to all the people that go to cons for exclusive events like this. bottom line.

Would you have been OK, then, if Menace (or whomever) went to the show and bought out every single copy and then flipped them? Is that close enough to buying multiple copies at the LCS on Wednesday to flip? I don't see anywhere where the CBLDF set any limits, so it's highly conceivable for a small number of people to buy out the entire run at the show. Someone could theoretically buy all 500 copies for $5K. Believe it or not, that's a pittance for some of the wheeler-dealers here and they'd kill for an opportunity to corner the market on an exclusive like this.

As I said, nothing perfect about the current situation, but it could have been worse.

As it is, I'm happy to pay Menace $10/copy for his trouble and will do so again in the future. Especially since it's cheaper than attending the con, the charity benefits, and I have as of yet to see any of his critics offer to do the same for free.

like i said in my previous post if he stood in line like everyone else the day they came out then fine i have no problem with him flipping them for 300 bucks each if he wanted to. point is he went under the table and called in a favor to get 200 copies set aside before it is even released and anyone else has had a fair chance to get any.

a big plus for comic cons is too attend to get all the free and exclusive swag. some get it to keep and some to sell. i have no problem with that. the problem i have is going through the backdoor like this. it is unfair and underhanded. if i attend a con near me like sdcc or wizard world la, yeah i'm gonna get in line for things like that and i may even sell them for a profit, but if i show up and find out that some dude on the internet already got 200 and sold them before the doors even opened i'd be super pissed off, and you and everyone else here would too if you were going to that con.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

I don't see anywhere where the CBLDF set any limits, so it's highly conceivable for a small number of people to buy out the entire run at the show. Someone could theoretically buy all 500 copies for $5K. Believe it or not, that's a pittance for some of the wheeler-dealers here and they'd kill for an opportunity to corner the market on an exclusive like this.

I don't want to get involved in this, but what you're saying just isn't true - the CBLDF aren't stupid; they create these exclusives to draw people to their booth (and hopefully sell them on a CBLDF membership as well), and they're not going to let some big shot dealer walk up to their booth and buy out the entire print run.

Just because they haven't posted a cap on their site doesn't mean there won't be one at the show - I've been a CBLDF supporter for years now, and I can guarantee you that there's been plenty of times where they've put restrictions on how many copies of a single item you could actually buy.

Sooo..... when's the next issue come out?

Second Wednesday in March.

Trying to make sure all the reprints are in store before #4 hits, so that anyone new to the book is set when that one comes out.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Aargh. I am torn about this post, Eric. While I appreciate that approach from a publisher's perspective, as a fan who recognized the quality of the book from the beginning I really hate to have to wait for all of the late comers to catch up. lol