• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

On the whole (Tim), I agree variants suck for collectors (we have to spend more money). However, creating something rare also creates demand. Demand creates interest. Interest generates readers. Readers generate sales. Sales cure all evils (while creating a whole batch of new ones).

But the problem I have with this and a lot of collectors is the fact that this is a manufactured collectible in the truest sense of the word. It's artificially creating a "rare and collectible " item.

Golden Age and to a certain point Silver Age is the reason they are so valuable is because no one saved them because they might have value. As we all know, that's what happened with the whole Death of Superman and all those X Facor 1, X Men 1, Spawn 1, etc.....

This book is just the variant du jour....

And I want one bad !!! :devil:

On the whole (Tim), I agree variants suck for collectors (we have to spend more money). However, creating something rare also creates demand. Demand creates interest. Interest generates readers. Readers generate sales. Sales cure all evils (while creating a whole batch of new ones).

But the problem I have with this and a lot of collectors is the fact that this is a manufactured collectible in the truest sense of the word. It's artificially creating a "rare and collectible " item.

Golden Age and to a certain point Silver Age is the reason they are so valuable is because no one saved them because they might have value. As we all know, that's what happened with the whole Death of Superman and all those X Facor 1, X Men 1, Spawn 1, etc.....

I'm with you 100%

I know about death of superman. You manufacture collectibility to increase demand and sales. But, if you get to the point that Superman did you kill value. Value is not a factor for publishers.

Images' goal is to grow the series. I think they are succeeding (e.s. confirmed a nearly 40% increase in sales). Exclusives create hype. Hype = buzz. Buzz is good.

If I wasn't already on the train I'd be looking for a way to get on.

Completely agree. The second something starts having a ton of variants is when I start to shy away (Bedlam). Know the guys want to build excitement for the books, but It makes it really hard for new readers to differentiate.

The deal with the variants is this (and e.s. would say the same thing)... If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. We went through this with Bedlam and Spencer's response was a good one regarding variants, which basically said that publishers don't care about secondary markets. Their goal is to sell books, increase exposure, and expand readership. If it does well on the secondary market, great. But that's not their focus.

I do wish 2nd and 4th printings were something different than TB. Or make all of the con and rrp variants TB and the reg prints offshoots of the head shots. Either way, I still don't have a decent first copy... Even though I have a pretty nice TB. I hope this mania helps keep TB price up.

Edited by Mr. Hog