• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Batman Reads??

37 posts in this topic

The new Court of Owls storyline it's pretty good, you and him should check it out...

+1

I enjoyed reading the Batman new 52 trade of issues 1-6. I will get the next one when it is released.

Related, but not strictly Batman - I'd also recommend Gotham Central. A very good look into the Gotham's Finest.

I was going to add this!

Gotham Central is like... the super-juggernaut-trade. When they were coming out monthly, nobody seemed to care, but over time it's become a cult classic.

Rucka and Brubaker hit home runs and this series has turned into one of the most highly regarded reads in the last 15-20 years. It's pretty much universally praised.

Now I want to read Gotham Central. I actually amazed I haven't already as I follow Rucka, Brubaker, and Lark.

And New 52 Batman has been one of the more consistently good books since the relaunch. It's I'd actually one of the few I'm still reading. I felt like everything just dropped off and with a lot of creators leaving I lost interest. I also loved how everything slowly slid back up to $3.99.

Someone has to do it, so I'm going to throw the Morrison saga in there. Read in order it's the best Batman story ever in my view:

Batman and Son

The Black Glove

RIP

Final Crisis

Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman and Robin vols 1-3

Batman Incorporated

If there were any stories I could wipe from Batman history, all of those would be in there. Absolutely abysmal stuff. Except maybe for the first four issues of Batman & Robin, I presume it was Vol I.

A side question, but can somebody explain to me why Penguin is called "Abner" in the Joker GN? ???

There was some kind of interview on IGN where they asked azzarello that:

IGN Comics: I need to ask you this next question because it stuck with me and my editor, and we didn't know if we were missing the reference or what. Why does the Joker call Penguin "Abner"?

Azzarello: Oh, why not? [laughs]

IGN Comics: That wasn't a joke or a reference I missed?

Azzarello: No. Just a form of disrespect. [laughs]

I read it on a random internet forum, don't know if it's legit though...

Someone has to do it, so I'm going to throw the Morrison saga in there. Read in order it's the best Batman story ever in my view:

Batman and Son

The Black Glove

RIP

Final Crisis

Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman Incorporated

If there were any stories I could wipe from Batman history, all of those would be in there. Absolutely abysmal stuff. Except maybe for the first four issues of Batman & Robin, I presume it was Vol I.

yeah i wasn't really into Morrisons stuff greatly, i wouldn't recommend it for a first read anyway, way too much...

00000_Batman_of_sur-en-arrh.bat-mite.jpg

Batman and Son

The Black Glove

RIP

Final Crisis

Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman Incorporated

yeah i wasn't really into Morrisons stuff greatly, i wouldn't recommend it for a first read anyway, way too much...

00000_Batman_of_sur-en-arrh.bat-mite.jpg

DO NOT DISS the Batman of Zur-en-Arrh (see avatar).

To Gav: I realise that Morrison's run was not to everyone's taste - just a personal view, and I've read a lot of Batman. I'm not going to waste any time trying to convince you that you're wrong, put it that way! But I stand by my recommendation.

Incidentally, I always thought The Killing Joke was massively overrated. It's no better than just about average in my view. Agree that TDKR is awesome though.

I have some of these in comic form but I wanted the TPBs so I ordered Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Hush, and Dark Victory. I already had Son of the Demon, Killing Joke, Knightfall, and Arkham Asylum. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will try to get a bunch more.

I have some of these in comic form but I wanted the TPBs so I ordered Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Hush, and Dark Victory. I already had Son of the Demon, Killing Joke, Knightfall, and Arkham Asylum. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will try to get a bunch more.
You won't be disappointed (thumbs u

To Gav: I realise that Morrison's run was not to everyone's taste - just a personal view, and I've read a lot of Batman. I'm not going to waste any time trying to convince you that you're wrong, put it that way! But I stand by my recommendation.

I think Morrison is an acquired taste, you either love him or hate him. I'm in the latter camp, well at least for his work on Batman anyway. I could see what he was trying to do, and I did appreciate his pulling on characters from way back when, but his execution was terrible. The 'Replacement Batmen' storyline wasn't bad but the bigger picture for me just really didn't work.

Batman Inc. took terrible to a whole new level. I read the first three or four issues and couldn't believe what I was actually spending my money on, and they remain to this day the only comic books I've thrown in the bin. RIP was a masterpiece compared to this drivel.

The Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers run in Detective Comics (466-479) is wonderful stuff. I don't know if it's been reprinted in TPB, but there are some some comic reprints. Or the originals in just reading grade.

The Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers run in Detective Comics (466-479) is wonderful stuff. I don't know if it's been reprinted in TPB, but there are some some comic reprints. Or the originals in just reading grade.

STK446426.jpg.size-290_maxheight-290_square-true.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Legends-Knight-Marshall-Rogers/dp/0857688235/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349710025&sr=1-2

Detective Comics #468, 471-479 and 481, DC Special Series #15, Secret Origins #6, Batman: Legends Of The Dark Knight #132-136 and Batman: Dark Detective #1-6