• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would it be possible to buy a 1 day pass to GPA?

108 posts in this topic

Offering an on-demand product will eventually impact revenue derived through subscriptions. Anyone who endorses this type of a revenue model clearly hasn't thought through the business impacts, and/or doesn't care about hurting a businesses bottom line if it means saving them a few bucks.

On the surface this seems like a ridiculous request, probably not possible to implement.

However, it does show there is a market for the occasional GPA user. Just like CGC has

different subscription tiers, maybe GPA can create something. Perhaps a cheaper monthly subscription that only allows access one day a month, or an access that only shows last sale, or an access that keeps a monthly counter limited you to x amount of inquiries. Anyway, all I am saying is, with a little creativity, maybe something can be implemented.

The OP is going after a Hulk #1 and wants to pinch pennies. I don't understand not wanting to spend $10 to not possibly overpay by hundreds of dollars.

I'll reiterate my offer to pay for a month of GPA to the OP.

Offering an on-demand product will eventually impact revenue derived through subscriptions. Anyone who endorses this type of a revenue model clearly hasn't thought through the business impacts, and/or doesn't care about hurting a businesses bottom line if it means saving them a few bucks.

That revenue model doesn't seem to affect Netflix - probably due to the fact that on-demand users and subscribers are two different kinds of consumers. It's pretty clear here that there are two kinds of GPA users in this thread, it'd be the choice of the company of whether or not they want to engage the casual user or not.

The OP is going after a Hulk #1 and wants to pinch pennies. I don't understand not wanting to spend $10 to not possibly overpay by hundreds of dollars.

It's $10.95 :gossip:

:o

That settles it. I will not subscribe to GPA.

Many businesses are finding lots of success in the on-demand model.

Tech firms doing managed hosting (referred to as "the cloud" by the general public and marketing) have thrived on this model of selling services ala carte as the customer needs them. It expands your customer base more often than reduces it, and creates a very easy onramp for "upsell" of 1 off customers to become subscription customers...

think, you sell the 1 shot service for a few bucks, and the delivery of the info comes with a link to turn the 1 time order into a subscription, or there could be enough BI behind the system that after a few 1 shot orders it sends you a "glad you like our service, for just a couple extra dollars you could have access to EVERYTHING!"

dont discount this approach, cause it works well in many markets...

itunes, netflix, cable-on-demand (for movies and premium chanels) have success in cleaving off small offerings and using them as an inroad for more longer term revenue.

Seems like a win-win to me, not sure why it is a candidate for silliest thread ever. But then that is the risk you run when you ask a question in CG.

I wouldn't say it's a silly thread but you are talking about buying a Hulk #1 which is a book that is worth what? $1000? $2000? $5000? More?

It's a $10 charge for one month. I personally look at a $10 charge as a pretty low price to pay for a service that might save you $100's or even $1000's of dollars.

Now I'm not sure if the service is available by the month but that is the route I'd go. Most people spent more on coffee and donuts in a day...or in your case protein shakes. :D

:o

That settles it. I will not subscribe to GPA.

Hey, one more nickel = one more slap!

Seems like a win-win to me, not sure why it is a candidate for silliest thread ever. But then that is the risk you run when you ask a question in CG.

I wouldn't say it's a silly thread but you are talking about buying a Hulk #1 which is a book that is worth what? $1000? $2000? $5000? More?

It's a $10 charge for one month. I personally look at a $10 charge as a pretty low price to pay for a service that might save you $100's or even $1000's of dollars.

Thank you. I tried to say that but my brain is muddy this morning.

That revenue model doesn't seem to affect Netflix - probably due to the fact that on-demand users and subscribers are two different kinds of consumers. It's pretty clear here that there are two kinds of GPA users in this thread, it'd be the choice of the company of whether or not they want to engage the casual user or not.

I don't see it quite the same way. Netflix has a transient customer base, so even if their trial users cover their dropout ratio, it's a meaningless statistic that doesn't disturb their overall subscription revenue. I see the on-demand proposition with the type of model GPA runs similar to a Manhattan piker jumping into a moving cab, whose already seated a guaranteed airport fare rider at $60, throwing the rider out of the cab, and asking the cab driver to pull a U-turn to take him around the block for a $5 ride.

Hulk #1 was my example because that is the book I'm interested in for my next major purchase. Of course, it would be dumb to not spend $10 to check GPA for a book that costs several thousand dollars. If you thought I wouldn't invest $10 to save a whole lot more then trust me, I would spend the $10. The Hulk #1 is not the point of the thread, just the example (obviously a bad one as it is obscuring the point).

My point was that I want data for ONE BOOK. I was simply inquiring about a model to pay the folks that run the site to give me one data point. I have no interest in paying $10 on a regular basis to be a monthly subscriber, but would gladly pay to get a data point and would prefer to do that than effectively stealing the information by not compensating the site for the trouble they took to compile the data. I would also likely buy day passes the few times a year I go to a show and don't know what books I might see and thus can't do the research in advance.

I don't see it quite the same way. Netflix has a transient customer base, so even if their trial users cover their dropout ratio, it's a meaningless statistic that doesn't disturb their overall subscription revenue. I see the on-demand proposition with the type of model GPA runs similar to a Manhattan piker jumping into a moving cab, whose already seated a guaranteed airport fare rider at $60, throwing the rider out of the cab, and asking the cab driver to pull a U-turn to take him around the block for a $5 ride.

I see the example as being more like you pay a monthly fee to ride any cab you want at any time anyplace in the city, but then if I just wanted a single ride to the airport I couldn't pay a separate fee to get that ONE ride. I am throwing nobody out of the cab to get to the airport, but providing a new payment to get a ride the cab otherwise wouldn't. I am not sure how your example equates to what I am asking.

Will all of you shut up! I can't concentrate. I'm trying to price out titties slapping. Data seems to suggest that those with the non-meth teeth DQ (dental quality) usually go for more. hm

I don't care about DQ. I care about overall eye appeal and the musty old smell of a Silver Ager aged nicely in an attic.

I see the example as being more like you pay a fee to ride any cab you want at any time anyplace in the city, but then if I just wanted a ride to the airport I couldn't pay a separate fee to get that ONE ride.

The point of using this example has more to do with effecting a business at the core when you're asking for a stripped-down version of the service. Especially when they have a customer already in the waiting.

You aren't taking into account how it disrupts their current subscriber base (which in itself is a major issue), nor are you taking into account the cost, hassles, retooling and additional administration required to provide a "light" version of the service. I think a business would be entirely within their right to just say no, rather than trying to explain all the intricacies of how the burden and cost of retooling for on-demand service very likely would not guarantee the kind of significant increase in revenue to justify the change.

Hulk #1 was my example because that is the book I'm interested in for my next major purchase. Of course, it would be dumb to not spend $10 to check GPA for a book that costs several thousand dollars. If you thought I wouldn't invest $10 to save a whole lot more then trust me, I would spend the $10.

My point was that I want data for ONE BOOK. I was simply inquiring about a model to pay the folks that run the site to give me one data point. I have no interest in paying $10 on a regular basis to be a monthly subscriber, but would gladly pay to get a data point and would prefer to do that then effectively stealing the information by not compensating the site for the trouble they took to compile the data. I would also likely buy day passes the few times a year I go to a show and don't know what books I might see and thus can't do the research in advance.

Again, from a business standpoint, it would depend on how many of their current one-month subs come from people like you who would spend the $11 if they had to but would like a cheaper option. If the people looking at low-dollar books can do without it and the people looking at a high-dollar book will buy the monthly sub, then there may not be many people left who would be net new buyers. If you are paying only $5, then there need to be at least twice as many of you as the people who are willing to spring for the $11 monthly sub.

Same with using it a a con. If someone expects to buy a few medium-to-high dollar books at NYCC, $11 seems cheap to avoid overpaying. If they are just buying low-priced books, they won't bother with GPA any way.

I think coffee should be available by the sip.

:sumo:

George is offering a special deal...this month only.

1 day GPA access for $10 and you get 29 days FREEEEE!!

lol

George, drop my current subscription and sign me up for this! What a steal!

Kidding aside, I'm sure my subscription isn't very cost effective, but I like having the ability to keep track of the current values of my slabs. I also like knowing that if I find a random book for sale (raw or slabbed) I can learn what kind of action it's generating.

I understand the other side of the discussion (not calling it an argument). All things are not equal. Personally I find $120 a year worth the peace of mind I feel for having GPA info at any given time. But I'm aware not all collectors are in the same position. I still remember the argument (not calling it a discussion) I had with my ex wife about spending $35 on what many years later turned out to be a 9.6 CGC X-Men #50.

I pay for GPA monthly and sometimes I don't even use it even once in a given month.

What will you say when it goes away because it's not cost-effective to operate as a business? (shrug)

(George has said that he doesn't mind if people ask for data occasionally.)