• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'KEY' can't be found. "Too good to be true" is true

15 posts in this topic

I try to avoid starting threads anymore, but just wanted to express my tale of woe. I found what I thought was a pretty good score- A TOS #58 mid-grade for $47 (only bidder). I was just informed they can't find the book so they offered to refund my $.

Good enough- could be worse- but what a let down.

This is a first for me, but I'm sure it's fairly common.

If it's too good to be true...

I try to avoid starting threads anymore, but just wanted to express my tale of woe. I found what I thought was a pretty good score- A TOS #58 mid-grade for $47 (only bidder). I was just informed they can't fine the book so they offered to refund my $.

I would ask them to VF it.

I try to avoid starting threads anymore, but just wanted to express my tale of woe. I found what I thought was a pretty good score- A TOS #58 mid-grade for $47 (only bidder). I was just informed they can't find the book so they offered to refund my $.

I have had fears of that happening on major scores, but it has never happened to me as of yet. What is the going rate on a mid-grade raw TOS 58?

I have had fears of that happening on major scores, but it has never happened to me as of yet. What is the going rate on a mid-grade raw TOS 58?

I had it happen once.

I was tempted to leave a neg, but I decided to be nice.

those sellers are buttholes. most of the keys i list go for under market and guide and still ship it. for example. i listed a frank miller wolverine series in VF/NM and it went for 5.00 with free shipping. i dont tell the winner i cant find it. i just curse everyone who wasnt looking at my auction going for such a low price.

A couple of times I've had sellers tell me after I've won an auction: "Sorry, we sold it in the shop and forgot to end the auction." Both times the prices were significantly below market. Too lazy to report them to eBay but it was pretty obvious what was up.

In the grade it appeared to be in, guide says about $115-$138. Not an Earth-shattering deal, but pretty darn good. Unexpected, too. I found it after looking (on impulse) for only a couple minutes.

Maybe the Comic Gods feel I didn't earn it. hm

I had it happen once.

I was tempted to leave a neg, but I decided to be nice.

Shortly after winning the auction I wondered, as I always do when I win these sole bidder auctions, what the seller thinks when he/she wakes up to or sees his/her higher value book slip unnoticed for a small fraction of its worth.

As for the neg, it flashed in my thoughts for a second, and that was just to decide to let it rest. It IS possible he is telling the truth. I'm out nothing but a good deal (I already got the refund).

If it's the other scenario, I just roll my eyes, grumble to myself a bit, and start a thread that probably rehashes a thousand other threads just like it (complete with typos ;) ).

I won a Batman 1 about 5 years ago that was listed incorrectly so not many people bid on it. I probably won it for half of what it was worth (so I figured the guy would come up with an excuse not to give it to me).

The guy told me his dog shredded it while he was out of the room so he wouldn't be able to send it. I kind of wanted to ask for a photo as proof but I decided to just drop it.

i listed a frank miller wolverine series in VF/NM and it went for 5.00 with free shipping. i dont tell the winner i cant find it. i just curse everyone who wasnt looking at my auction going for such a low price.

That's a big reason the times I do list on ebay I do a buy it now.

Ebay is sooo random something can sell for 3 times as much the day before or earlier that same day than others.

I see 1 comic sell for 25 and a lot around it of the same quality sell for around 60. Has nothing to do with the seller or his feedback score either. Sometimes that $25 comic will look even better than the $60 one. I have 0 clue why that happens and something similar happened to me. Sold a comic around 60 that went for like 120 earlier in the week and mine looked better than the 120 one.

That was the last time I ever did an auction on ebay. I never want that random low price happen to me again. I just do buy it now, maybe best offer and I do a deal, but it goes for what I want it to. If it doesn't sell then so be it.