• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this year's NYCC surpass San Diego's to become the largest Comic Con ever?

Will this be the year that the New York Comic Con surpasses San Diego's to become the largest Comic Con the the country?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Will this be the year that the New York Comic Con surpasses San Diego's to become the largest Comic Con the the country?

55 posts in this topic

Is it even close? I thought SDCC was much larger.

Without the Studio & entertainment component of SDCC I would think the size of both cons would be almost equal at this point. Artist Alley in NYCC blows SDCC away in size and scope. From what I understand this year the show floor has expanded even more, and artist alley is on it's own level in the North Pavillion now.

New York is already the premiere comic show in the country IMO if you want an "A" list show.

WW Chicago is another with more comics than you can possible see in 4 days.

San Diego is too hard to get tickets for so buyers who want to spend money can't get in and too hard to get hotels for because the SDCC has the entire city locked down until they release room blocks.

With less buyers able to get tickets and hotels there are less buyers spending money less big dealers are setting up in SD. They are either cutting down tables or not setting up altogether.

NY on the other hand is easily accessible and growing.

Don't get me wrong, SDCC is a treasure, it's huge, it's magnificent to see....but a true comic book show it isn't. I think NYC has overtaken it in that regard.

New York is already the premiere comic show in the country IMO if you want an "A" list show.

WW Chicago is another with more comics than you can possible see in 4 days.

San Diego is too hard to get tickets for so buyers who want to spend money can't get in and too hard to get hotels for because the SDCC has the entire city locked down until they release room blocks.

With less buyers able to get tickets and hotels there are less buyers spending money less big dealers are setting up in SD. They are either cutting down tables or not setting up altogether.

NY on the other hand is easily accessible and growing.

Don't get me wrong, SDCC is a treasure, it's huge, it's magnificent to see....but a true comic book show it isn't. I think NYC has overtaken it in that regard.

Roy I've never been to the NYCC,but for the reasons you have mentioned I am not going to SDCC in 2013.I have been there done that,and am getting quite tired of all the hassles,and getting ripped off by the hotels that double their prices during the con.I did go to the con last year only to pick up my book from Rick Whitelock,and say hi to some board members,spending only an hour or so.I'm sure there are others that feel the same way,too bad. :P

Roy, given how huge the NYCC is and how quickly it's growing, do you think it could eventually expand to an entire week-long event?

Hard to say.

The only thing limiting the NYCC is the venue. It's tough to get a bigger venue in Manhattan.

Right now it has almost everything going for it that SD has except the weather and the Hollywood angle.

It does have NYC going for it though, the city that never sleeps so that's always a bonus.

Will it ever be a week long show? I don't think so. Are there any week long comic book shows?

I could see Reed add another day to it and go to a 4.5 day show like SD is.

R.

I raised this question since the new subway expansion leading to the Convention Center is near completion and will provide greater access which should lead to an even larger increase in the size of Comic Con attendees. Reed and company are going to have to address this issue at some point.

The problem with holding a week long event is that it takes time to set up. Set up times for 3-4 day shows are typically 2-3 days in advance of the show.

Agreed, but they are going to have to deal with a soon to be expected huge increase in demand for tickets once that subway line opens. Direct subway access will be a game changer. Other than raising ticket prices, I don't see how they are going to deal with this challenge without expanding the number of days.

It'll NEVER attract the wordwide attention that SDCC gets.

Yea I think SDCC has turned into such a huge event that it will be hard. Heck if you even mention Comic Con to someone outside of comics they just think of SDCC. It is like a household name because of all the attention it gets.

Having said that, NYCC does have a heck of a guest list this year.