• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Question

240 posts in this topic

I have been out of the game for some time, but I have heard that PGX is not as reputable as CGC. What does one need to watch for when buying a book slabbed by PGX? Or should they be avoided all together?

Thanks,

AJ

I have been out of the game for some time, but I have heard that PGX is not as reputable as CGC. What does one need to watch for when buying a book slabbed by PGX? Or should they be avoided all together?

Thanks,

AJ

To begin with, the CGC Collectors Society Message board may not be the most unbiased forum to post your question on.

There was a long thread that was about "have you ever cracked open a PGX graded booki and sent it to CGC'? just a month or less ago. If you want to immerse yourself in a discussion then here it is. If you want a quick answer to your question, there is none.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6023071&fpart=1

Your post suggest you are looking a purchasing one or more books graded by PGX. Not asking where it is best to have your books graded and encapsulated. Not asking about reselling.

So I suggest to any and all we ought to be collecting comic books - not slabs of plastic that are made in an injection molding machine. Examine the COMIC BOOK that is inside the slab. Is the books appearance consistent with the assigned grade? Does it have any defects that you don't like regardless of grade? And of course how is it priced?

Thnking this way, decide whether or not you want to add this book to your collection.

A popular saying is "buy the book, not the slab". I've owned books that I felt were overgraded by both companies. I've owned - No I actually look for books I feel undergraded by both companies.

PGX don't have a good reputation particularly for books 7.0 and under. They regularly miss restoration on older books too. Their grading for modern books is reasonably tight.

I do know of some who get modern books graded through PGX if they are books that they intend to NEVER sell simply because they are cheaper to grade and their holders protect your book. If you intend to grade a books to sell though - forget it. You'll be holding on to that book for a long time. PGX just aren't a respected.

I actually crack out most books that are bought slabbed. Currently I only have 3 or 4 still in slabs.

My only reason for buying graded books is so I know there is no resto or other hidden issues.

Thanks,

AJ

To begin with, the CGC Collectors Society Message board may not be the most unbiased forum to post your question on.

There was a long thread that was about "have you ever cracked open a PGX graded booki and sent it to CGC'? just a month or less ago. If you want to immerse yourself in a discussion then here it is. If you want a quick answer to your question, there is none.

Sure there is: PGX is a complete scam. Avoid.

That seemed relatively quick :shrug:

The biggest issues that I have seen with PGX are missed restoration and books self-graded by their fraudulent grader that are clearly overgrazed. The problem is that people know they have a difficult time with the resto check so, it seems that scamers are more likely to send books to them. So, you not only have the random books with resto that was missed but also the ones that are know to have resto and were intentionally sent to them in hopes of a universal label. The odds of getting a restored book are high.

The biggest issues that I have seen with PGX are missed restoration and books self-graded by their fraudulent grader that are clearly overgrazed. The problem is that people know they have a difficult time with the resto check so, it seems that scamers are more likely to send books to them. So, you not only have the random books with resto that was missed but also the ones that are know to have resto and were intentionally sent to them in hopes of a universal label. The odds of getting a restored book are high.

cow.jpg

Am I right in saying that their grading of current modern books are pretty tight. I know they're not a reputable company but that's a fact isn't it?

No. Their 9.9s are CGC 9.6s.

That's a generalization....Their 9.6's are often CGC 9.8's too and most 9.8's are on par with CGC.

Am I right in saying that their grading of current modern books are pretty tight. I know they're not a reputable company but that's a fact isn't it?

That's a generalization....Their 9.6's are often CGC 9.8's too and most 9.8's are on par with CGC.

No, they are not.

No, they are not.

Yes, actually they are. Go back and read the thread I linked to. There more upgrades posted up than downgrades. I've sent many books to both companies and I've crossed graded a fair number of books. Maybe 20 (cross grades) so far this year.

I cannot offer an informed opinion or restoration detection as I don't get restored books graded by either company. Restored books actually sell better raw. But at the high end of grading (say 9.2 up) I have found PGX to be very much on par with CGC. Mid and low grades vary more. But that is most likely because the two companies treat different defects differently. At the 9.2 and above level there are not that many defects allowed to be treated differently.

We have all seen overgraded CGC books too....

No, they are not.

Yes, actually they are. Go back and read the thread I linked to. There more upgrades posted up than downgrades. I've sent many books to both companies and I've crossed graded a fair number of books. Maybe 20 (cross grades) so far this year.

I cannot offer an informed opinion or restoration detection as I don't get restored books graded by either company. Restored books actually sell better raw. But at the high end of grading (say 9.2 up) I have found PGX to be very much on par with CGC. Mid and low grades vary more. But that is most likely because the two companies treat different defects differently. At the 9.2 and above level there are not that many defects allowed to be treated differently.

If you're willing to support a company that partakes in criminal activities (PGX), more power to you (thumbs u

just don't expect people on CGC's forums to think that they are a better, or even equal, option when it comes to grading books. :facepalm:

No, they are not.

Yea lately from what I've seen people are getting grade bumps when they go from PGX to CGC.

It seems the bigger issue is the restoration check. They don't seem to do a good job with that- as others have stated.

If you are buying a modern book I'd feel confident in the purchase. However, the resale value might not be there as generally people look down on PGX books. Heck, I don't even own one.

No, they are not.

If you're willing to support a company that partakes in criminal activities (PGX), more power to you (thumbs u

just don't expect people on CGC's forums to think that they are a better, or even equal, option when it comes to grading books. :facepalm:

If you go back and read the original question, the OP was asking about purchasing a PGX graded book. They were not asking which company was best to get their books graded by. I would not pass on a book I wanted at a price I was willing to pay just because of the company that graded it. Nor would I pass on that same book raw. I collect comics. I don't collect CGC or PGX holders. Plastic holders are made by the millions in plastic injection molding machines. They are not collectible.

I'm not saying one is better and I'm not even saying they are equal. I am saying that in my experience at the high end of grading PGX and CGC's grades are much the same. I avoid buying books graded by either company sight unseen unless the seller takes returns. Because I've seen books I thought overgraded - or with unappealing defects for the grade assigned - from both companies. This forum is full of threads and posts about collectors unhappy with something done by, or books graded by - CGC.

Collectors on this forum go on and on about the restoration check. Again - I don't have any first hand experience with this. I don't send in restored books. The PLOD's and GLOD's are like garlic to a vampire. They sell better raw with the restoration noted unless it is really a big key or a Signature Series. But look around on these forums. You'll see threads where collectors sent in a book they bought off the newstand 40 years ago and it came back graded as trimmed. Or a book sent in three different times - blue label the first two times and restored (trimmed) the third time. Mistakes are made

I'm not defending the actions by PGX that are most questionable. Allowing employees to buy and sell PGX graded books is clearly unwise and invites unethical behavior by the employees. Again - look at the book yourself. If it looks overgraded walk away. If it doesn't say when it was signed walk away.

But the OP was just looking at a book to purchase. Never even said what book. If it is a modern graded 9.8 for $30 and that is good price - I'd say "why not?"

No, they are not.

If you go back and read the original question, the OP was asking about purchasing a PGX graded book. They were not asking which company was best to get their books graded by. I would not pass on a book I wanted at a price I was willing to pay just because of the company that graded it. Nor would I pass on that same book raw. I collect comics. I don't collect CGC or PGX holders. Plastic holders are made by the millions in plastic injection molding machines. They are not collectible.

I'm not saying one is better and I'm not even saying they are equal. I am saying that in my experience at the high end of grading PGX and CGC's grades are much the same. I avoid buying books graded by either company sight unseen unless the seller takes returns. Because I've seen books I thought overgraded - or with unappealing defects for the grade assigned - from both companies. This forum is full of threads and posts about collectors unhappy with something done by, or books graded by - CGC.

Collectors on this forum go on and on about the restoration check. Again - I don't have any first hand experience with this. I don't send in restored books. The PLOD's and GLOD's are like garlic to a vampire. They sell better raw with the restoration noted unless it is really a big key or a Signature Series. But look around on these forums. You'll see threads where collectors sent in a book they bought off the newstand 40 years ago and it came back graded as trimmed. Or a book sent in three different times - blue label the first two times and restored (trimmed) the third time. Mistakes are made

I'm not defending the actions by PGX that are most questionable. Allowing employees to buy and sell PGX graded books is clearly unwise and invites unethical behavior by the employees. Again - look at the book yourself. If it looks overgraded walk away. If it doesn't say when it was signed walk away.

But the OP was just looking at a book to purchase. Never even said what book. If it is a modern graded 9.8 for $30 and that is good price - I'd say "why not?"

Just more proof that there are people who would buy from the devil as long as it was something they wanted at a good price. (thumbs u

Just more proof that there are people who would buy from the devil as long as it was something they wanted at a good price. (thumbs u

Well, How about if I take it out of the holder after I buy it? Would that remove the taint of Satan from it?

We will just have to agree to disagree. But you did make me laugh, so thanks lol