• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Question

240 posts in this topic

Point is I just pointed out a situation in which CGC's practices are shady at times, but people like MSchmidt can't admit it. As far as PGX most people are referring to incidents 6 years back. If your going attack them bring up issues within the last two years that they did that is relevant. If your looking to have something SS use CGC, looking to have a key graded use CGC, but a book that holds little to no value and you just want protection use PGX for that book.

I have to confess something. I murdered someone 6 years ago. I've been holding it in but since it's past the 2 year mark, I'm glad I can finally admit it now. :screwy:

Murder isn't really a good comparison. No-one's been killed here. Maybe robbery?

Extreme example to combat extreme stupidity.

Company has a history of corrupt business practices. Until that person is no longer involved with the company, who cares how long it's been since it happened?

I hear Madoff is starting up a investment company. It's been 2 years since he stole billions of dollars. Lets all invest! (more accurate example) (thumbs u

I bet Michael Fett would do just this, but get extremely uppity because there were people in line in front of him to make their trades.

As far as PGX most people are referring to incidents 6 years back. If your going attack them bring up issues within the last two years that they did that is relevant.

What's the difference how far back horesh eet service goes. How's this one. I used them once before I found these boards. Notice I said once. My slabs came back with fricking dog hair in them. Quality control is rampant at PGX.

no, that is not the one incident I am talking about. Go the Silver Age forum and the X-men #1 Club thread. There is a member there that bought an old raw X-men #1 book with Stan Sig on it. He sub it for Sig last year where Stan traced/signed over the old sig and he got the yellow label.

Don't know if you are referring to my book, but my book was done like this. I was advised to do it like this as a FF #1 and a TOS #39 were done the same way. All three books came from the same OO collection. All were signed by Stan over 30 years ago.

I am pretty sure they knocked the grade for the "writing" (old signature and date) on the cover. But I still got the yellow label, because Stan did sign it in a facilitators presence.

Last Con I was at, a guy came up to the cgc booth while I was submitting with a stack of signed books and asked to submit them SS. He was told they needed to be witnessed. He asked can they go back with him and either have the artist re-sign over them or tell them that he did sign it, and he was told flat out No. Not saying it hasn't happened before or will in the future. Just sharing an experience.

I witnessed a guy right in front of me go up to George Perez with a stack of books at a con including one with a signature already over it and he asked George to go over his old signature and he did. There were so many books GP was signing the witness was not paying attention after that I asked GP about it when GP was doing a sketch for me he said it was unethical CGC's sig series because you have older comics signed by artists and writers before the CGC was around and its unfair to the fan that I just can't look at a comic and say that is my sig or in some cases the sketch and say that is my sketch. I bumped into that guy later at my LCS and he got the yellow label and said he has been using this practice for years at the con to get yellow labels on comics because the witnesses are either too far away when witnessing the signature or just not really paying attention. He said he learned the practice after seeing another guy do it at a con and get away with it.

Sounds believable.

hm

I really hope I end up with this guy the next time I'm CAW'ing for CGC - it will be my utmost pleasure to tell CGC what he's up to and ensure that every single book he submits comes back a GLOD. :wishluck:

I have not done the practice. I am just saying I have witnessed it done and the circumstances in which the person got away with it. You just don't like someone has found loopholes in CGC's practices and making them look bad. You accuse me of being someone I am not. It is unfortunate situation I described above, but it does happen.

Tony, what is your point? I don't think that anybody is saying that CGC are absolutely flawless. They are not criminal though. PGX have engaged in fraudulent activity in the past - intentional fraudulent activity. This is what people have a problem with, and pointing out that it's possible, in certain crazy circumstances, to circumvent CGC's rules does nothing to change that.

It's nothing to do with "liking" or "not liking" what you are saying about CGC. At the end of the day, if you want to use PGX, go for it. Nobody is going to stop you, but they are going to disagree with you and chastise you for it (on these boards, anyway).

Did I miss something? Is there someone else named Tony? I'm not in this conversation. Look at the list of people quoted. Now it appears people aren't even sure of who they are talking to.

For the record - I (Tony) know next to nothing about the CGC Signature process. And absolutely nothing about how PGX does signatures. I've had one book signed (CGC) my entire collecting life and I let DWC handle the details.

Now I'm in trouble when I don't even talk....

no, that is not the one incident I am talking about. Go the Silver Age forum and the X-men #1 Club thread. There is a member there that bought an old raw X-men #1 book with Stan Sig on it. He sub it for Sig last year where Stan traced/signed over the old sig and he got the yellow label.

Don't know if you are referring to my book, but my book was done like this. I was advised to do it like this as a FF #1 and a TOS #39 were done the same way. All three books came from the same OO collection. All were signed by Stan over 30 years ago.

I am pretty sure they knocked the grade for the "writing" (old signature and date) on the cover. But I still got the yellow label, because Stan did sign it in a facilitators presence.

Last Con I was at, a guy came up to the cgc booth while I was submitting with a stack of signed books and asked to submit them SS. He was told they needed to be witnessed. He asked can they go back with him and either have the artist re-sign over them or tell them that he did sign it, and he was told flat out No. Not saying it hasn't happened before or will in the future. Just sharing an experience.

I witnessed a guy right in front of me go up to George Perez with a stack of books at a con including one with a signature already over it and he asked George to go over his old signature and he did. There were so many books GP was signing the witness was not paying attention after that I asked GP about it when GP was doing a sketch for me he said it was unethical CGC's sig series because you have older comics signed by artists and writers before the CGC was around and its unfair to the fan that I just can't look at a comic and say that is my sig or in some cases the sketch and say that is my sketch. I bumped into that guy later at my LCS and he got the yellow label and said he has been using this practice for years at the con to get yellow labels on comics because the witnesses are either too far away when witnessing the signature or just not really paying attention. He said he learned the practice after seeing another guy do it at a con and get away with it.

Sounds believable.

hm

I really hope I end up with this guy the next time I'm CAW'ing for CGC - it will be my utmost pleasure to tell CGC what he's up to and ensure that every single book he submits comes back a GLOD. :wishluck:

I have not done the practice. I am just saying I have witnessed it done and the circumstances in which the person got away with it. You just don't like someone has found loopholes in CGC's practices and making them look bad. You accuse me of being someone I am not. It is unfortunate situation I described above, but it does happen.

Tony, what is your point? I don't think that anybody is saying that CGC are absolutely flawless. They are not criminal though. PGX have engaged in fraudulent activity in the past - intentional fraudulent activity. This is what people have a problem with, and pointing out that it's possible, in certain crazy circumstances, to circumvent CGC's rules does nothing to change that.

It's nothing to do with "liking" or "not liking" what you are saying about CGC. At the end of the day, if you want to use PGX, go for it. Nobody is going to stop you, but they are going to disagree with you and chastise you for it (on these boards, anyway).

Did I miss something? Is there someone else named Tony? I'm not in this conversation. Look at the list of people quoted. Now it appears people aren't even sure of who they are talking to.

For the record - I (Tony) know next to nothing about the CGC Signature process. And absolutely nothing about how PGX does signatures. I've had one book signed (CGC) my entire collecting life and I let DWC handle the details.

My bad Tony. Got you mixed up.

However, I now have to put you on ignore, block you on eBay and kick your dog, all on principle.

:jokealert:

newpics277.jpg

I don't think you got docked on this issue at all considering some of the defects. I would of only posted from the comic down though some insufficiently_thoughtful_person will turn your number in to try and have it removed from the SS census.

Don't forget the hired goons that will be arriving shortly at your house to break the case and rough you up. :facepalm:

There are some dumb statements on these boards, but with less than 100 posts, you've managed to put yourself into contention. Congratulations.

I think ol' DJBrady4U's crack, regrade higher and flip scam has been pretty well documented on here within the last year.

Also, wasn't there a situation with a PGX Swamp Thing first appearance that had a questionable signature/s?

While I agree here he shouldn't use his own grading service to grade his own comics and sell them on Ebay, but what is stopping a CGC employee from having their own comic graded and selling it on the CGC?

I think ol' DJBrady4U's crack, regrade higher and flip scam has been pretty well documented on here within the last year.

Also, wasn't there a situation with a PGX Swamp Thing first appearance that had a questionable signature/s?

While I agree here he shouldn't use his own grading service to grade his own comics and sell them on Ebay, but what is stopping a CGC employee from having their own comic graded and selling it on the CGC?

1. Ethics

2. Right in their Value Statement on the website

3. Common Sense

4. They aren't run by d-bags

1. Ethics

2. Right in their Value Statement on the website

3. Common Sense

4. They aren't run by d-bags

I'm pretty sure he has us on ignore. He won't respond to any of our posts. Which is a shame too, I planned on dedicating myself to doing nothing on these boards other than following every single post he makes and mocking his stupidity from this point forward.

Truly never have I met someone so abhorently ignorant. He HAS to be a troll...no? And didn't someone hint at the fact this is actually a member who was banned not too long ago coming back with a new username? Makes sense if you ask me. Nobody this "new" acts so unbelievably.

My bad Tony. Got you mixed up.

However, I now have to put you on ignore, block you on eBay and kick your dog, all on principle.

:jokealert:

Humor. I like that! And we could use more of that on this thread. I even thought jumping in and telling a comic book type joke. But the only jokes I know involve sex or foul language - or both - so I figured I be breaking some rule.

It's cool. :foryou: This thread has gone all over the place so it's easy to get mixed up as to who said what to whom.

I won't even consider buying a PGX slab...for what little it's worth.

:)

I would avoid them like the plague.

As far as PGX most people are referring to incidents 6 years back. If your going attack them bring up issues within the last two years that they did that is relevant.

What's the difference how far back horesh eet service goes. How's this one. I used them once before I found these boards. Notice I said once. My slabs came back with fricking dog hair in them. Quality control is rampant at PGX.

Thanks Dr X.

Thats all I wanted to know.

I originally asked if their slabs would be ok to use for very low value 'loved' comic stories.

If they come back in poor condition,then you have answered my question.

(thumbs u

I've avoided buying PGX up until now. Just bought an old Tales of Suspense issue that I plan to crack open and clean (when I saw it I noticed the main faults of the issue could all be fixes - pencil marks, surface dirt, non-color breaking creases etc...)

So yeah...only time I would buy a turd is if I knew I could polish it.

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I have done a lot of trial and error on the subject to get my own opinion, so here you go.... Obviously the CGC board is probably not the best place to get the most unbiased opinion at least from some, but I will try to give it my best shot. I have been upset with the price increases/high cost and unreasonable turn times at CGC over the past couple years, so I decided to do some research on PGX and form my own opinion on their service, both on restored and unrestored books. What I have found from a good sampling of submissions to help me make my opinion......

Very loose grading in low to quasi mid grades 1.0 to 5.0 (not uncommon to see books 1 point higher than what I would have graded it at). I pointed out my opinion on this to Daniel at PGX and they may be starting to tighten this up just a smidgen recently from what I have seen. 5.5 to 7.0 is getting closer to CGC, perhaps still 1/2 grade too high sometimes. 7.5 and up are extremely tight and I would dare say often tighter grading than CGC more often than not (but not always). This is especially true in the uber high grades where I sent books that I had expected 9.8 or on a bad day 9.6 (copper/bronze) that reeked of perfection at ever angle under bright light and the best grade I could pull from PGX was 9.4! Not sure how others say they have gotten 9.9 so easily, but that sure did was not the case for the books I submitted, I wish it was! I love CGC's tight grading in mid grades, but CGC's biggest weakness IMO is overgrading 9.4 to 9.8 with far too many of these books with visible tiny spine ticks or slight bends on grades that should not have any of these, at least not without a magnifying glass. That may exist for PGX also, but I have not seen it on any of my books yet and seldom on other PGX high grade 9.4+ scans I have seen at auction.

My research on PGX's older grading found that a prior employee (years ago) was dishonest and they had some questionable practices, he no longer works there and from what I have seen and heard, their current head grader is way better at resto detection than that other one in the past. This grader found a trimmed book that I got from a major dealer as unrestored and slight ct on books that I had no idea any any color touch and I even went over them very closely with a black light first. So, I think their present day resto detection while likely far from perfect is far better than most people realize or give credit to.

Perhaps CGC's greatest strength is great resto detection, but they have missed trimming and centerfold replacement etc. over the years also, so it is not exactly honest to point out some missed PGX resto examples (mostly older ones) and pretend they are the only ones this has ever happened to. I still greatly prefer CGC on resto, I am just trying to be fair to both sides here. To sum up, probably safe to say PGX is not nearly as good as CGC on resto detection, but are still fairly competent at it based on my experiences. PGX slabs are just as nice and protect your book fairly well, but PGX resale does not have the same value as CGC. However, I think PGX resale is getting a bit better now than raw often times when it comes to ebay or comicconnect sales unless the book just looks overgraded (always buy the book, not the slab!) PGX is way too soft on grading the lower grades, but CGC grading discrepancies are fairly abundant sometimes also and they charge a lot more than they need to, especially with those 6-9 month turn times, so there is just not a perfect company out there at the moment, but both have their merits for certain books. CGC being safer for the higher dollar major keys you want full return on and PGX working better when it is a minor key where the cost of CGC grading does not warrant the value of slabbing the book, but you still want a nice looking slab for cheap and at least better assurance of no restoration than you get from collectors/most dealers. :)

Just my honest opinion of what I have seen from my own personal experience, I know others may have different experiences and thus I have no problem with them having a different opinion.

You do realize that what you did is totally against the SS rules, right?

I am not picking a fight, just truly curious. Where are CGC's rules on SS located.

I went to the home page and found nothing other than the book must be signed in the witness of an employee of CGC or an authorized witness. And that the book must be signed by someone of significance to the issue.

Personally, I see no problem in what I and others have done. Unless of course there is a rule against doing it.

I have to agree that CGC needs to lay out these rules more clearly then on the Signature Series page on the main site selling the service.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all since you didn't know better. Now knowing what the whole Sig Series stands for I can also understand why they wouldn't want to allow this to normally happen.

Sadly though there are others out there who would try to take advantage of witnesses and pass along already signed books as just signed, I feel that anyone who tries this should be blacklisted from ever subbing again to the Sig Series (again not at all describing you chunkybutt in this example, having met you I know you are good people and feel as strongly as I do about keeping the integrity of the program going).

Now back to the original topic at hand PGX, I will never buy a book in a PGX slab from a dealer or store unless I can crack it out right in front of them and inspect it to be as described and without any resto. 2 out of 3 times I stumbled upon a PGX book that I was interested in the dealers had no issue with me doing this (one of them insisted on cracking it out themselves which I was fine with), the 3rd person who was completely against this idea I felt was trying to hide something so I just walked away from any attempts at a deal.

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I have done a lot of trial and error on the subject to get my own opinion, so here you go.... Obviously the CGC board is probably not the best place to get the most unbiased opinion at least from some, but I will try to give it my best shot. I have been upset with the price increases/high cost and unreasonable turn times at CGC over the past couple years, so I decided to do some research on PGX and form my own opinion on their service, both on restored and unrestored books. What I have found from a good sampling of submissions to help me make my opinion......

Very loose grading in low to quasi mid grades 1.0 to 5.0 (not uncommon to see books 1 point higher than what I would have graded it at). I pointed out my opinion on this to Daniel at PGX and they may be starting to tighten this up just a smidgen recently from what I have seen. 5.5 to 7.0 is getting closer to CGC, perhaps still 1/2 grade too high sometimes. 7.5 and up are extremely tight and I would dare say often tighter grading than CGC more often than not (but not always). This is especially true in the uber high grades where I sent books that I had expected 9.8 or on a bad day 9.6 (copper/bronze) that reeked of perfection at ever angle under bright light and the best grade I could pull from PGX was 9.4! Not sure how others say they have gotten 9.9 so easily, but that sure did was not the case for the books I submitted, I wish it was! I love CGC's tight grading in mid grades, but CGC's biggest weakness IMO is overgrading 9.4 to 9.8 with far too many of these books with visible tiny spine ticks or slight bends on grades that should not have any of these, at least not without a magnifying glass. That may exist for PGX also, but I have not seen it on any of my books yet and seldom on other PGX high grade 9.4+ scans I have seen at auction.

My research on PGX's older grading found that a prior employee (years ago) was dishonest and they had some questionable practices, he no longer works there and from what I have seen and heard, their current head grader is way better at resto detection than that other one in the past. This grader found a trimmed book that I got from a major dealer as unrestored and slight ct on books that I had no idea any any color touch and I even went over them very closely with a black light first. So, I think their present day resto detection while likely far from perfect is far better than most people realize or give credit to.

Perhaps CGC's greatest strength is great resto detection, but they have missed trimming and centerfold replacement etc. over the years also, so it is not exactly honest to point out some missed PGX resto examples (mostly older ones) and pretend they are the only ones this has ever happened to. I still greatly prefer CGC on resto, I am just trying to be fair to both sides here. To sum up, probably safe to say PGX is not nearly as good as CGC on resto detection, but are still fairly competent at it based on my experiences. PGX slabs are just as nice and protect your book fairly well, but PGX resale does not have the same value as CGC. However, I think PGX resale is getting a bit better now than raw often times when it comes to ebay or comicconnect sales unless the book just looks overgraded (always buy the book, not the slab!) PGX is way too soft on grading the lower grades, but CGC grading discrepancies are fairly abundant sometimes also and they charge a lot more than they need to, especially with those 6-9 month turn times, so there is just not a perfect company out there at the moment, but both have their merits for certain books. CGC being safer for the higher dollar major keys you want full return on and PGX working better when it is a minor key where the cost of CGC grading does not warrant the value of slabbing the book, but you still want a nice looking slab for cheap and at least better assurance of no restoration than you get from collectors/most dealers. :)

Just my honest opinion of what I have seen from my own personal experience, I know others may have different experiences and thus I have no problem with them having a different opinion.

Very astute,but you forgot a few facts.1. never trust a crook 2.never trust a crook who grades his own books and sells them himself. 3.Never trust a crooked crook. :roflmao:

Very astute,but you forgot a few facts.1. never trust a crook 2.never trust a crook who grades his own books and sells them himself. 3.Never trust a crooked crook. :roflmao:

What the hell are you talkin about? My baby didn't do nuffin. He is innocent, innocent. Now go onto eBay and buy some more of his PGX books. They are hot off the machine direct from momma's basement!!

What the hell are you talkin about? My baby didn't do nuffin. He is innocent, innocent. Now go onto eBay and buy some more of his PGX books. They are hot off the machine direct from momma's basement!!

brendanfraiserhahahaclap.gif