• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a top 100 Bronze Comics list?

121 posts in this topic

on top of my head from looking at your list of 45 so far

x-men 101

Fear 19

(thumbs u

1st Phoneix

1st Howard the Duck

imagine if the intro's has been reveresed...

Jean Grey being possessed by the ultimate duck power in the universe...

Is HOS 92 considered BA? Certainly Swampy #1.

Maybe Brave/Bold #85, but that might be considered SA (I don't). I like Adventure Comics #431 and maybe Tec 437 as well (Simonson's Manhunter). Kirby's New Gods and other 4th world titles.

What Neal Adams did for Bats 227, I view the same way for what Jeff Jones did for Wonder Woman 199 and 200.

also think:

Cat #1 (1st Tigra (eventuall)

OMAC #1 (seems to be the most regarded Kirby at DC title), but I could go Forever People too..

Whenever someone wants to create a list of 100 Bronze age keys, and folks start listing Cat #1 and OMAC #1, I just shake my head.

If you're going to make it to 100 there's a lot of other books you'll need to consider.

A few --

Savage Tales 1

Savage Sword of Conan 1

American Splendor 1

Cerebus 1

Elfquest 1

Kamandi 1 (far more popular than OMAC)

My Love 1

Our Love Story 1

Lots of DC horror --

Ghosts 1

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

House of Mystery 175

House of Secrets 81

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1

Sinister House of Secret Love 1

Weird War Tales 1

DC war --

G.I. Combat 138

Star Spangled War 151

Our Fighting Forces 123

also think:

Cat #1 (1st Tigra (eventuall)

OMAC #1 (seems to be the most regarded Kirby at DC title), but I could go Forever People too..

Whenever someone wants to create a list of 100 Bronze age keys, and folks start listing Cat #1 and OMAC #1, I just shake my head.

Understandable, given that they're not high demand super valuable books in raw form. But we are on the CGC forum, where many people collect higher grade slabbed copies of some of these books and even a 9.8 Omac #1 sold for $162 this month.

Pretty average compared to many bronze age books, as there are a lot of 9.8's on census, so maybe that one is a stretch.

But, also according to GPA, a Cat #1 in 9.8 sold last November for $550 (almost 50% down from a previous sale, but still a substantial price) and two 9.6's sold for average $200 this year. There are only 3 9.8's listed in the census. So that may be one we could actually see as a part of the list.

If magazine comics are to be considered, I think Heavy Metal #1 deserves mention.

I'm all for that being added, as well as other comic magazine's.

There's only 1 Tales of the Zombie in 9.8 on census, none showing sold in GPA, and I'm sure there are a number of people who would pay good money to have one of those, myself included.

If magazine comics are to be considered, I think Heavy Metal #1 deserves mention.

I'm all for that being added, as well as other comic magazine's.

There's only 1 Tales of the Zombie in 9.8 on census, none showing sold in GPA, and I'm sure there are a number of people who would pay good money to have one of those, myself included.

Yeah, Heavy Metal 1 is a good idea. Ditto the other Marvel mags, I think. Marvel was trying to go after Warren fans with their line of B&W mags.

Is Vampirella 1 an SA or BA book?

"Top" you mean in terms of monetary value?

I think so, because many of the ones listed so far has very little substantial and/or artistic value… :(

I've posted a few different times how I'm defining "key" , and lists like these are all about discussion and subjective opinions... but criticism w/o adding to the discussion doesn't do much for your "argument"

I could easily see 1st issues of underground comics like Mr. Natural..Zap came out in the silver age ('68) so its not eligible...

any "substantial" books you'd like to suggest?

"Top" you mean in terms of monetary value?

I think so, because many of the ones listed so far has very little substantial and/or artistic value:(

Artistic value is highly subjective.

To people who grew up reading these books, some of them may be their favorite work ever done.

People have sought out copies of these books, pretty consistently, for many, many years and thanks to the availability, have been able to afford and acquire them. That in itself solidifies the importance and inclusion of them on this list IMHO.