• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a top 100 Bronze Comics list?

121 posts in this topic

Night Nurse? That's grasping at straws.

Giant-Size Creatures #1

The Cat #1

At least Greer Nelson and Hellcat stayed around longer.

DG

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but my feeling is that there is more interest out there in Night Nurse #1 than The Cat #1. The Cat you can still get in dollar boxes. Night Nurse on the other hand can be a pain to track down in any condition. The Cat #1 might be harder to get in ultra high grade because of the black cover, but my guess (and I don't have access to any historical sales figures to back this up) is that Night Nurse #1 will outperform The Cat #1 in every grade below 8.5.

I know it's not a mainstream book, so it's harder to judge against superhero stuff, but I think there's enough of an interest from romance collectors to call this a Bronze Age key.

I thought the list related to significance of the content, not necessarily resale value.

Heck, I bought both for 20¢ each (plus tax).

DG

and The Cat turned into Tigra yes? Or am I misremembering that? Tigra is still around, Night Nurse... not so much (though that would be awesome)

Some random thoughts about the top 100 Bronze books.

I'd take out the magazines, they should be in a separate category by themselves.

The tough thing I have is that a lot of these books are valuable due to their scarcity in high grade, not necessarily by the impact they had on our hobby. Super DC Giant #21 is a prime example. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this book, but it feels weird to have this obscure book this high on this list. The same applies to Night Nurse #1 and quite a few others. There is some difficulty in balancing what a Bronze Age book is valued in the Overstreet and what qualifies it as a 'Top 100' book.

Some honourable mentions that could be considered (in alphabetical order):

All Star Comics #69

1st Huntress, a character that is still somewhat prominent in the DC Universe today.

Amazing Spider-man #149

Yes, the dreaded clone saga begins here.

Avengers #93

The most sought after Kree/Skrull war Neal Adams issue.

Captain Marvel #26

This should supplant #25 as this is the first issue where the Thanos story arc really kicks in.

Fantastic Four #121-123

Surfer + Galactus = goodness.

House of Mystery #179

This one is on the bubble for Silver Age. Berni Wrightson's first work - one of the iconic Bronze Age artists whose covers alone will usually command a premium in any given horror title (heck, even Kong #1 is collected by Wrightson cover collectors).

Marvel Feature #1

1st appearance of the Defenders. This has been mentioned previously is a few posts I think. Sub-mariner #34/35 are also Defenders try-out issues.

Superman #233

Iconic Neal Adams cover + re-imagining of Superman. Surprised this wasn't mentioned more (if at all?)

Tarzan #207

Kubert's glorious run begins with this issue. I was very happy when Dark Horse reprinted these in a beautiful way.

Warlock #9

Warlock is re-defined starting with this issue - and the one that we recognize when he is given one of his numerous rebirths in the Infinite nausea series.

Making these lists are always fun, and stirs up the pot. Always interesting to see what people have to say. More to come as I think of more…

Night Nurse? That's grasping at straws.

Giant-Size Creatures #1

The Cat #1

At least Greer Nelson and Hellcat stayed around longer.

DG

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but my feeling is that there is more interest out there in Night Nurse #1 than The Cat #1. The Cat you can still get in dollar boxes. Night Nurse on the other hand can be a pain to track down in any condition. The Cat #1 might be harder to get in ultra high grade because of the black cover, but my guess (and I don't have access to any historical sales figures to back this up) is that Night Nurse #1 will outperform The Cat #1 in every grade below 8.5.

I know it's not a mainstream book, so it's harder to judge against superhero stuff, but I think there's enough of an interest from romance collectors to call this a Bronze Age key.

I thought the list related to significance of the content, not necessarily resale value.

DG

and The Cat turned into Tigra yes? Or am I misremembering that? Tigra is still around, Night Nurse... not so much (though that would be awesome)

In The Cat #1, Greer Nelson was trained to be The Cat by a woman and given the costume. The series lasted 4 issues.

In Giant-Size Creatures, the woman who trained Greer Nelson was revealed to have a connection to a race of Cat people. They transform Greer Nelson into Tigra in some kind of ceremony.

Years later in an issue of Avengers I believe, the Cat costume is given to Patsy Walker and she becomes Hellcat.

Not the greatest evolution for the characters, but both have affected a lot of stories.

DG

[

DG

I'm not quite sure what the parameters of the list are, but my attempt was taking value, demand and collectability into consideration.

If we were going on content, on the other hand, I definitely would have had Night Nurse #1 above Hulk #181 just for starters. Wolverine is boring, but Night Nurse is a seriously excellent and underrated soap opera. (thumbs u

I don't know. I bought Night Nurse #1 for my mom (a nurse) when I was a kid and she wasn't too interested in it. I would think a nurse would know if a nurse comic is any good.

DG

Value demand and collectibility all bring the focus back to price variants. The only bronze age comics to have significant gains during the recession...

I think that's a valid statement.

It's kind of pointless to make a list if you don't know the criteria for what you are listing.

Two people can affect value if something is rare... or rare in high grade. Does that have anything to do with demand or significance? of course not.

DG

Where's Ms. Marvel #1?...the first appearance of Ms. Marvel, future Avengers 2 cast member

Ms. Marvel #1 was added to the list in the 91st spot.

It's kind of pointless to make a list if you don't know the criteria for what you are listing.

Does the OP want to specify criteria for the list? If magazines are included we have probably 115 books already mentioned, and are we allowing for variants or the UK books? It's an interesting list so far, and I'm sure there's still several books that haven't been suggested, but would be if story events or scarcity are a consideration.

Adventure Comics #462 The Death of Batman.

This is why I think the book deserves to be on the list or any list.

The first Batman for almost 25 years until they brought the other Batman with that silly looking yellow symbol on his chest.

Highlights:

1.) The Original Batman Born around 1915.

200px-Bruce_Wayne_Earth-Two_01.jpg

2.) Belong to the first original team in comic book history "Justice Society of America 1940's".

justice-society-of-america.jpg

3.) All Star Comics #36 - first time Earth-Two Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman team-up. (Not like the ones post crisis, they always point and blame each other).

all31234a.jpg

4.) They fought side-by-side with each in WWII. Including with the All-Star Squadron.

AllStarSquadron_1680.jpg

5.) Superman #76 (May/Jun 1952) - Earth-Two Superman and Batman learn each other's secret identities. They became life long best friends.

wf76.jpg

6.) Brave and The Bold #197 - The story is taken in the year 1955. Earth-Two Batman and Catwoman fall in love. Helena Wayne could have been conceived in this issue.

tumblr_maukv7rhYH1rw1evb.jpg

7.) Superman Family #211 - Bruce Wayne & Selena Kyle got married.

1343508011_sf211.jpg

Capture2-1.jpg

8.) DC Super-Stars #17 - Selena Kyle Wayne gave birth to a very healthy girl Helena Wayne. Bruce (Batman) becomes a family man. Selena Wayne (aka: Catwoman) dies.

Capture.jpg

Capture3-1.jpg

9.) Adventure Comics #462 - Bruce Wayne puts on the bat costume once more to defeat a criminal that has extraordinary powers. Although Batman didn't have a chance,he defeated the criminal with pure will power. By doing so, he took his own life.

DC-260-79F21A36.jpg

10.) Infinite Crisis #3 2006 - Earth-Two Superman meets Earth-One Batman. Superman tells Batman he believes his best friend Earth-Two Batman precipitated the END of Earth-Two. (This is Huge if this is true).

Earth2Batman2.jpg

11.) The DC writers never brought Earth-Two Batman from the dead in corporeal form. Not like Earth-One Superman or some other heroes.

Also, if this title was named "Is there a top 100 Copper Comics list"...surely Superman vol. 2, 75 (Jan 1993) would have been nominated.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Where's Ms. Marvel #1?...the first appearance of Ms. Marvel, future Avengers 2 cast member

Is there going to be any thought put in to the rankings? Ms Marvel #1 should be Top 25

Is there going to be any thought put in to the rankings? Ms Marvel #1 should be Top 25

We can't rank anything as we don't know the exact criteria for inclusion on the list at this point. If the OP sets forth that only value is considered for example, then do we allow mags, UK titles, variants, etc.? I think we could all chime in with our opinions, but we need Miraclemet or someone to act as facilitator to the discussion.

:signfunny:

:acclaim: I'll be here all week.

Has DC Comics Present 26 (1st New Teen Titans; 1st Raven, Cyborg, Starfire) been mentioned? I'd argue this issue is more important than New Teen Titans 2 (1st Deathstroke).

No one's brought this book up. Most of the DC candidates for inclusion have been from the earlier 70's. Deathstroke is obviously a popular character, so I don't know if DCCP 26 really supplants Deathstroke's intro, but I'll defer to those more knowledgeable about DC to decide that.

Machine Man was a great character:

2001: A Space Odyssey #8 - 1st appearance Machine Man

Machine Man #1 - 1st own Title

Here is another book for consideration:

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #106 - I Am Curious Black, Classic Cover