• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

So, apparently there's a company out there now that, in their own words

CVA's proprietary, tamper-evident holographic sticker provides assurance that the comic book you own has met our strict standards for outstanding eye appeal and superior structure within the numerical grade assigned by CGC. CVA's distinctive sticker allows collectors, dealers and investors, with any level of experience, to easily identify these premium-quality examples in any grade. A CVA endorsement adds value for anyone interested in the CGC graded comic book market, buyers and sellers alike.

Emphasis mine.

Yay, a 3rd (4th) party company doing the heavy lifting for the resub game!

Is this news? I've been away a lot, so sorry if so

I know, right? It's almost like a company set up to offer a VF++ endorsement of your slab that's nicer than a "baseline" 8.5, whatever that is.

I didn't link the site because I didn't want to advertise for them, but you can certainly read more about it there. Also, the October ComicLink auction is set up with actual links to that site for books they offer with the CV sticker. Strangely enough, the CV sticker is viewed as so important that a book with it is given a special designation in the auction listing.

:screwy:

There exists a variance in eye appeal among third party graded comic books even within the same certified grade. There are examples which are clearly identifiable to an advanced collector or dealer as being strong in grade and sometimes the perceived value of these items can be substantially higher than that of a less attractive example.

The need for CVA in the comic book marketplace is the inevitable result of the subjective aspects of grading, even with established third-party certification. Regardless of the high quality of work performed by CGC, further distinction of examples with superior quality within a particular assigned grade is necessary. Collectors and dealers make this distinction, but not in a way that is systematic, traceable, or recognizable to the less experienced.

CVA’s mission is to enable collectors, dealers, and investors with a wide range of experience levels to quickly and easily identify examples with outstanding relative eye appeal. In so doing, it allows for these examples to be readily distinguished within online buying and selling environments where comic books cannot be inspected in person before a purchase is made.

CVA provides buyers with an additional layer of protection and the ability to make a more informed decision, fostering greater confidence in the quality of their purchases. Likewise, it enables sellers of CVA verified comic books assurance and confidence in identifying these examples as being premium-quality in grade and in advertising them accordingly.

I think the one partner, Tomis, is an ex-Comiclink employee. He didn't make the move to Maine and left Clink.

I am excited about this new certification. I don't necessarily think it will do the 'heavy lifting' for the CPR crowd. They certify eye appeal, which doesn't necessarily translate to a higher grade.

I'm wondering if CVA can be an enabler to cases such as books which were signed prior to CGC's sig series existing (with provenance, photo and/or documentation). Or where CGC doesn't mention a particular designation or COA on its label (i.e. Manitoba collection).